Virtual Events Are Here To Stay

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Virtual Events Are Here To Stay

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I see hybrid events as the another example of the genius of AND Vs the tyranny of OR.

That said, while there are commonalities between remote and in person events, I feel that the differences require some thought to make sure both are effective.

I've found that some managers were great at managing teams remotely whereas others were lost at sea.  It's the same for presentations and it is the same for being a remote worker.

There is a challenge to learn to be effective in either a remote or in-person environment.  That challenge will be greater for some than for others.

When something new comes along the 1st instinct is to try and use tried and tested techniques. In time people find what works best with that new thing. It may be that many of the old techniques remain valid but with new skills on top.

• Not even going to try to sugar coat it.

I'm not a fan of presenting in a 100% virtual environment.

The lack of interaction, feedback, and just the repetitive nature of talking strictly to the computer monitor, I find virtual events tiring. That's not to say I don't fully recognize their utility at the same time. But man, it's tough.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I agree with the ambivalence of virtual vs. hybrid vs. in-person.   As a person who has been unable to travel for family reasons, I did all I could to attend any event of any relevancy that was offered in the area.  COVID has opened up so many possibilities for me, and I realized, for a lot of other people, especially when the virtual events were offered gratis or super-cheap.  I'm very disappointed with my own professional organization (American Library Association) for returning to in-person only for their next annual.

That being said, I do not like attending a virtual presentation when only the presenters are viewable.  I, too, look for interactions, reactions, etc. from the audience, not just as a presenter, but also an audience member.  Even when the platform allows for people to appear, very, very few open their cameras.  I understand limitations that may make it difficult, not possible or possibly embarrassing.  But it is so much more interesting and pleasurable when you can see your audience.

Overall, I hope hybrid becomes the new norm.  My favorite conference series, Electronic Resources & Libraries, had been doing hybrid events for several years before COVID and, given the limitations of funding and technical capabilities, they did a very good job.  I could "attend" nearly every session I wanted, although at that time, I couldn't ask questions live.  Things have improved and their last virtual only event was quite impressive.  These things don't come cheap though, but even with increased costs of software, hosting services, and physical technologies, it would be less expensive than including the travel and accommodations.

• I love having a choice for all the reasons that both sides have stated both as a presenter and as an attendee.  It's the best of both worlds.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I am extremely glad that virtual or hybrid events are going to stay. Yes, I prefer attending events in-person. But like you said, Grant, there are lots of reasons why some cannot attend in-person. So, being able to attend an event virtually is a godsent. Even if attending virtually isn't ideal, it is a lot better than not being able to attend at all.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  Rod at work. Reason: corrected wording

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Total agreement with all of you. Thanks for the comments.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Total agreement with all of you. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the article and your comments, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply