Where Do You Park?

• At work or shopping, I park well away from the entrance, as I can use the exercise. My wife complains, so I don't park quite as far out when she is with me. Then later she complains that she needs to lose weight! It seems that individuals who could clearly use the walk would rather circle the lot 3 times waiting for a better spot. Society has gotten lazy...have you ever known someone who would wait in a drive-thru line for 10 minutes to get a drink? It is quite common in my neighborhood to see an oncoming car cut in front of you (to the left side of the road) so they can get their mail from their car, before pulling into the driveway. Some aren't quite that bad...they will at least pull into the driveway, stop, get the mail, get back in the car, then pull up the remaining 40 feet to the garage.

• I come between 7:20 and 7:30, so I usually have the non-reserved spot nearest to the entrance.

Would anyone guess it from my office behavior? I guess they would -- I am they guy who is there when they come...

• I've driven to work three times in the last 10 or so years. The rest of the time it's been transit - bus/walking and Skytrain. It takes about 30 minutes longer per day, but the cost of the additional car (purchase, maintenance, insurance, fuel) and the damage it does to the environment are significant enough for me to be willing to give up the extra time. The few times I've driven, I've been annoyed at the traffic, and the difficulty in finding parking.

Plus, now I get 30 minutes of stress-reducing walking, and a quiet, stress free hour on the Skytrain, where I can read a book or watch a movie.

• I tend to park in the same place(s), usually in the back lot and where I can get some shade.

We do have one lady at work who parks sideways and takes up 3 spaces. It really isn't a problem because we have plenty of spots left but, I have been tempted to get a buddy and park our cars in the spots on either side to lock her in. 😉

• I work in the heart of downtown in the city I live in, so I have to use a public ramp. I have two spots that I park in, depending on which is available. I'm not a fan of door dings so each spot is on the edge of it's respective row, which cuts my door ding proability in half. I have to park on a floor higher up in order to grab one of these spots, but the peace of mind is worth it to me, and I don't mind a little more walking.

• On the days that I drive in for work, I park in the front lot of our building with the rest of the IT and admin staff. I have always parked on the right side because HR and some senior managers have claimed the spots on the left years ago. The right side seems to be more of a free for all for whoever. There is no assigned parking and no one gets bent out of shape if you park where they normally would. We have applicants and vendors who park there too so we can't get too attached to any one spot. It's a small lot so there is little difference in one spot over another.

• A few years ago, I was working at a software company in California. I was getting tired of the job, the company and the boss. So one day I decided to park in the bosses reserved spot just to see what would happen. Well as it turns out he was running late for a meeting so he parked in a handicapped spot near the door. Well to make a long story short, when the tow truck driver tried to tow him, he pulled the rear bumper clean off of his nice blue Porsche.

We still laugh about it to this day.

• Sorry, I could not resist. I am actually surprised that no one else beat me to it.

In actuality, I work in Atlanta. I park in the buildings where my clients are located. If given a choice, I will pick lots that have the easiest access to the highway in the evening. Currently, I work in a part of Midtown that allows me take I75 and never touch the Downtown Connector. For the most part I can fall off the highway and fall right back on from my parking deck.

• Kenneth J. Moore (9/1/2011)

It seems that individuals who could clearly use the walk would rather circle the lot 3 times waiting for a better spot. ....

What really bugs me are people who will sit and hold up traffic in a parking lot waiting for someone to load and pull out of a spot when there are plenty of visible open spots just a few feet further down the row.

Sometimes when I'm being 'stalked' for while walking to my parking spot at the mall, and feeling ornery, I will leisurely walk down a different row, then abruptly cross over to the next row, leaving the 'stalker' high and dry.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• jay holovacs (9/1/2011)

Sometimes when I'm being 'stalked' for while walking to my parking spot at the mall, and feeling ornery, I will leisurely walk down a different row, then abruptly cross over to the next row, leaving the 'stalker' high and dry.

Or you just put your bags in the car and head back into the mall.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Thomas Abraham (9/1/2011)

My latest pet peeve: the marked reserved spots in the parking lot. I don't mind that. But, i do mind the fact that they labeled them "reserve space" instead of "reserved space".

Ha ha! That would bug the heck out of me, too!

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Peter Maloof (9/1/2011)

jay holovacs (9/1/2011)

Or you just put your bags in the car and head back into the mall.

I've done that a few times. Usually a case where I'm doing some shopping then going to have lunch (or coffee) and work for a bit. Usually if I'm doing that and I see a car trailing me back to the parking spot I'll try and tell the driver I'm not leaving. Depends how lazy the driver is looking and how full the parking is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If possible not near trees. They are popular among the birds.

• today I rode my bicycle to work and it's parked in the otherwise unoccupied cubicle next to mine... 😀

I don't care what spot I put my car in when I drive (which I do most days). I can't imagine what difference it would make in my situation since there's a public lot about 1 block from my office with ample space.

I can't think of a way that this translates or is mirrored somehow by my work habits.

Cheers,

Scott

• I park my bike in the staff car park, in the motorcycle bay... It's quite small, enough space for around 6 bikes, and on average there's only 4 bikes there;

An old MZ two stroke, a Honda Super Blackbird, a Honda Fireblade, and mine, BMW K1300GT....

I always park on the near end. The other day a Honda Silver Wing had taken my spot.. mutters....

Although summers here in the UK are not all that hot, one day a month or so ago I had arrived on a Monday morning, with panniers and top box full of a weeks luggage, and v. heavy bike so I couldn't put it up on its centre stand. I parked it on the side stand. The ground is tarmac. It got so hot the tarmac melted and my side stand sunk about an inch into the ground. I reckon it was pretty close to falling over sideways, which would not have made me happy.

If I have to use my side stand from now on I always use a puck underneath it to spread the load.

Happy riding.... 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply