Where Do You Park?

• My parking space recently changed. I used to park near the building in a medium sized lot, The space really didn't matter as most people arrived after I did. Now I park in a smaller lot further away from the door. I switched parking lots several months ago after being given the "pink slip" after 25 years as a Government contractor.

I nice to have a parking lot to pick out a space to park in!!!

• It could be worse. Here in the NY/NJ we have the privilege of spending $9.50 daily for the George Washington Bride. The traffic to get on the bridge is often an hour plus. Parking is a relative bargain at $100 a month but that was negotiated in my employment contract. I have also learnt not to park a car I care about. Dents and scratches are to be expected and you get a strange look if you complain.

• The replies here have made me laugh. I too am one of those who mutters when someone takes "my" spot which actually happened this morning. I reverse in to a tree shaded spot close to the entrance so I can make a quick getaway in the afternoon. It also means that I am unlikely to be parked in and am not in danger of a truck or other vehicle hitting mine. I get to work at 7:30am so there are lots of spots to choose from.

I wonder if we get upset when someone takes "our" spot because our routine is disrupted and it seems like a lack of consideration. After all, if we have parked there for a while shouldn't everyone know it's "our" spot!:hehe:

Cheers,

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Ulysses_Infinity (9/1/2011)

I park about a 20 minute walk from the office - why? To avoid punitive parking charges of approximately £130 per month! And it gives me a little exercise twice a day, and chance to catch up on my favourite podcasts. (SGU for one)

Hey fellow exerciser! I park abt 12min walk away: daily exercise and ample free parking (there is a big parking-lot behind the office/shops which allows for only 2 hours parking, and it is checked, the streets around the area are normally full).

I had a fav spot 3 blocks away from the office, until 3 months ago (stormy weather) I got back to my car and from the distance I could already see something strange...... Got closer and I saw a HUGE branch (as big as the car) that had broken of the tree I parked under. It was lying on the road only centimeters behind my car, I was seriously thinking of buying a few lottery tickets.

Now I park a few meters further up between 2 trees.... I'm about to sell my house and move somewhere closer to work (aiming for a location roughly 20min walk from the office instead of the 30min drive + walk).

• I hate to admit this, but if I don't park in the same place every day it can take me half an hour to find my car again! I recently was on an assignment in town where I got into the habit of parking in one spot in a car park - and I was reluctant to change even after my car had been opened three times by someone else and thoroughly searched for loose change. Well, I was just happy that they hadn't damaged it in the process. Even better, they hadn't moved it 🙂

• I swear. Most of you guys are neurotic. I park in the same "area" of the parking lot so I can find my car after work - plain and simple. There are no "sacred spots" in my mind. It's just not a big deal.

Next topic...

• Jo Pattyn (9/1/2011)

If possible not near trees. They are popular among the birds.

Ha... reminds me of the time I parked my rental car under a tree for shade at the Hyatt in Austin, Texas. Don't ever do that there! There was a reason that spot was empty. The next day my colleague and I went to the formerly-blue car which was now white. And that's not much of an exaggeration. Yuck, gross, arghh! They have a real problem with those birds there. They are called grackles and you can learn more about Austin's combat with them here - including laser warfare using laser pointers, shotguns, and (in San Antonio) cannons and hallucinogenic corn: http://www.statesman.com/news/local/effort-to-mitigate-grackles-takes-wing-867224.html

• When I read this stuff, I feel like I'm from another planet. For twenty-some years I commuted by train to downtown Philadelphia. After I was laid off, I spent a year as a consultant driving 45 miles to another suburb and found it worse than a jail sentence.

After moving into the city, I eventually got a job 34 miles from home and quickly got down to one day a week in the office. I tried to bike it when the weather permitted and when it didn't, took a train and did 10 miles of walking.

After being laid off from that job, I found a job one mile from home, which I walk in 12 minutes.

Asking where I park is like asking me where they whip me when I get to work. One hopes that the rising price of gas will make people understand that commuting to work by car is so 20th century.

• bill.saunders1 (9/3/2011)

Asking where I park is like asking me where they whip me when I get to work. One hopes that the rising price of gas will make people understand that commuting to work by car is so 20th century.

I'd love to commute some other way, but in a city with no good, reliable, safe public transport that's a dream. It's walk, bike or drive, or don't go at all.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/4/2011)

I'd love to commute some other way, but in a city with no good, reliable, safe public transport that's a dream. It's walk, bike or drive, or don't go at all.

QFT. I live 10 miles from one of the offices I work at, and 13 miles from the other. Nearest train station to my house is two and a half miles away, and the one occasion when I actually tried to take the train I not only got sore feet, but figured out it actually cost me MORE than it did to drive! Public transport in this country (UK) is a joke.

• paul.knibbs (9/5/2011)

GilaMonster (9/4/2011)

QFT. I live 10 miles from one of the offices I work at, and 13 miles from the other. Nearest train station to my house is two and a half miles away, and the one occasion when I actually tried to take the train I not only got sore feet, but figured out it actually cost me MORE than it did to drive! Public transport in this country (UK) is a joke.

Public transport in the UK is a joy and a dream (well, in the larger cities that I've visited - London, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness)

The only usable train in Gauteng runs Pretoria to Sandton (when the cables haven't been stolen and if the tunnel isn't flooded) and Sandton to Airport (with a couple stops along the way). Virtually no buses, no underground, nothing that runs from the larger residential areas west and east into the business districts, no 'park and ride' facilities.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If I lived closer in to the city centre it would probably be fine...I could use the Metrolink tram (Manchester), which has been OK the few times I've used it. Perhaps I should blame myself for choosing to live nearer the countryside. 🙂

• GilaMonster (9/4/2011)

bill.saunders1 (9/3/2011)

Not so simple. Mass transit only works where

1) the terminus of the transit is sufficiently close to your destination

2) there are enough people going from point A to point B at the same time.

Basically that means, in a big city (which for me is a lousy place to work).

When you have large numbers of people from widely scattered places to widely scattered places at scattered times, the spiderweb of potential mass transit routes becomes unmanageable.

I was in a 'van pool' for a while and it was hell. No flexibility, you couldn't just decide to finish a project. And the time lost picking up all members of the pool simply took up to much of my life.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• bill.saunders1 (9/3/2011)

I'm glad you like it, but asking me to work in a big city is like asking me to be water-boarded. Either way, I would NOT hope that your apartment rent and/or electric bill would rise so much that you will "understand" that living in an a warm and cozy apartment is too 20th century, and that you would be a lot better off living in a dumpster or in a cardboard box over a sewer vent.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• I park in a lot that's about a 15 minute walk from my building. Why? Because I'm cheap and it's only $20 a month. Within that lot I used to park as close to the entrance as possible. However one winter, a few years ago, they started only plowing a single lane between the entrance and the exit. If you happened to park in one of the side rows, you had to get through a 3-foot snowbank. From that day on, in winter I park in the exit row and carry a small shovel in my trunk, just in case. In the summer, I park even farther out, under one of the few trees that offer afternoon shade.

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply