The Tech That is Gone

• Me too. It's weird, but I find the act of writing (not typing) helps me remember better. And I doodle to make sense of and plan things (like my terrible databases! LOL)

• Some old tech that I wish would come back is people that actually know how to ask a question and then read the answer and act upon it correctly. 🙁

And... no... not referring to anything on this thread.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Here's a beautiful screenshot of my table!

<ducking>

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Some old tech that I wish would come back is people that actually know how to ask a question and then read the answer and act upon it correctly. 🙁

Lots of folks have the answers today.  They just don't understand the question.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• pietlinden wrote:

Me too. It's weird, but I find the act of writing (not typing) helps me remember better. And I doodle to make sense of and plan things (like my terrible databases! LOL)

I remember so much more from notes. I often don't even go back and read them, but the act of putting them down is helpful

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

pietlinden wrote:

Me too. It's weird, but I find the act of writing (not typing) helps me remember better. And I doodle to make sense of and plan things (like my terrible databases! LOL)

I remember so much more from notes. I often don't even go back and read them, but the act of putting them down is helpful

This is exactly why I have multiple monitors and always have sticky note pads by my keyboard.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Some old tech that I wish would come back is people that actually know how to ask a question and then read the answer and act upon it correctly. 🙁

Lots of folks have the answers today.  They just don't understand the question.

Heh... especially the people that asked the question. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

pietlinden wrote:

I have daily notebooks going back twenty years. It's a habit I picked up during my consulting days -- amazing how a scribbled word can serve as a reminder weeks later.

"Oh yeah, that's what I was thinking when I wrote that terrible-looking query!"

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply