The Tech That is Gone

• sean redmond wrote:

On a practical note, I have bought a couple of Denon 5-disc CD changers and these are great. They are also well made. And, given the price that Denon wanted for them back in 1988, I should hope so. I like to put in 5 Dire Straits CDs and have hours of music play while playing 'Masters of Orion'.

Sean, all of my CD collection has been packed away in the basement for years in favor of a little 11"  Samsung laptop in my office connected to some good Bose speakers.  It has my whole libary of over 70,000 tracks.  Right now I'm listening to Peter, Paul, and Mary.   I checked and see that I have 177 Dire Straits tracks, although I'm sure there is duplication from various CD releases.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Heh... Rick and I are "old tech" and we still work just fine. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I thought I'd ask my new found tech ChatGPT this question, if there is anyone who hasn't tried it they should, it even knows a bit of T-SQL:

There are many examples of technology that has become obsolete or is no longer in widespread use. Here are a few examples:

1. Floppy disks: These were once a common way to store and transfer data, but have been largely replaced by other storage media such as USB drives and cloud storage.
    2. CRT monitors: These bulky displays, which use cathode ray tubes to display images, have been largely replaced by LCD and LED monitors.
    3. Dot matrix printers: These printers, which use a series of tiny pins to print characters and images, have been largely replaced by inkjet and laser printers.

There are also many technologies that were once popular but have since fallen out of favor or been discontinued. For example, the MiniDisc, a digital audio storage format developed by Sony, was once popular but is no longer in widespread use. Similarly, the Palm Pilot, a personal digital assistant developed in the 1990s, was once popular but has been replaced by newer devices such as smartphones.

It will even answer Jeff's primary interview question correctly:

date

• My iPOD still lives in the car.  Arguably it is now more valuable than the car.

I still listen to CDs when the wife is out of the house.  She doesn't like Rush.

I have friends who make dance tracks who don't own a music keyboard.  Everything is soft synths and Ableton Pro.

My kids listen to Spotify but I prefer to own the music.

My desktop PC hasn't been switched on in over a year.  I don't think I will be buying another Windows PC.

One piece of technology I sorely miss is the analogue clock on a cooker.  The digital clock on a cooker has to be a UX from Satan.

Too many appliances have touch sensitive controls where a nice mechanical button would have done fine.  For whatever reason touch sensitive stuff doesn't react to me.  Even some motion sensor doors cause me problems.

As Jeff Moden puts in his signature "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

• sean redmond wrote:

On a practical note, I have bought a couple of Denon 5-disc CD changers and these are great. They are also well made. And, given the price that Denon wanted for them back in 1988, I should hope so. I like to put in 5 Dire Straits CDs and have hours of music play while playing 'Masters of Orion'.

I feel sorry for the youth of today. In 20 years' time when they have a nostalgia for iPhones & PS5s, what will they have? An emulation in the Cloud that they pay monthly access for? I like having old tech in my hands.

Still have a disc changer in a car, but haven't used it in years. Wonder if there are CDs in there?

Lots of old tech isn't appearing to work anymore after a time. I still have a bunch of older cell phones, but since they use 1/2/3G, they won't work for anything. I guess a couple might work with wifi. Though who knows when we'll lose the v1/2/3 versions of wifi.

• cgumprich wrote:

There's a difference between still having something and using it regularly. I still have my cordless phone (with answering machine) hooked up to my landline, but it's used maybe once a week. I still have my VCR with tapes - including some movies that have never been released on DVD or showed up on streaming. My first computer sits in a box on the shelf (complete with 5-1/4 floppy drive and daisy-wheel printer) - I hook it up to my garage sale B&W TV once or twice a year.

I tend to keep things until they don't work and can no longer be repaired. Not everything needs to be replaced with the latest-and-greatest technology.

We don't even have a landline. Neither does my Mom, which is more amazing. Surprised how many rural people have gotten rid of their land lines.

I tend to keep things around as much as possible. Repair a lot of things on the ranch where possible, though a lot of tech doesn't fall into this range.

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

I really miss high quality pens and paper notepads 😉 😎

I still carry a notebook and pen. I prefer taking notes like that with customers or in presentations.

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Actually, that's just the first part of the answer that I expect. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I don't miss books much. I find it much more convenient to read on my phone/tablet/Kindle. Never thought I'd get there, but I do.

I love renting music now, much more than buying it. Hard to keep stuff moved around on devices, so I appreciate the ability to stream or download and have things stay up to date with a sync.

At the same time, we have had a couple clocks in the kitchen, analog ones, but the mechanisms are so cheaply made, they seem to die in a year or two.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

But I'm sure it got further than some of your candidates. 😁

Jeff Moden wrote:

Tru'dat! 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Tru'dat! 😀

What is the second part of the answer you are expecting? It remembers the original question and you can then delve deeper into the subject.

• For better or worse I have a large collection of old tech in my home office.  I've got at least four iPods, three Zunes, half a dozen no-name MP3 players, and even a 32mb Diamond Rio PMP300 in here with me.  In contrast to Steve I always found the iPods the easiest to use, but the most difficult to manage of my MP3 players.  Up until last November I was still using an iPod hooked up to my car stereo as the primary source of car music.  Replaced the car and the newer one has forced me back to using CDs of MP3s.  My car audio seems to be regressing.

Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Tru'dat! 😀

What is the second part of the answer you are expecting? It remembers the original question and you can then delve deeper into the subject.

The "delve deeper" part is what I expect a candidate to actually do.  For example, what resolution of time is needed according to some unspoken requirement(s) and does it need to be in a particular time zone or be UTC or ???

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Tru'dat! 😀

The "delve deeper" part is what I expect a candidate to actually do.  For example, what resolution of time is needed according to some unspoken requirement(s) and does it need to be in a particular time zone or be UTC or ??? 

Ok, I'm giving it a chance and am going to ask it rather than expect it to expand the answer beyond what I asked:

date2date3

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply