The SQL Saturday Thread

• Jeff Moden - Friday, February 15, 2019 9:10 AM

My two "Black Arts" sessions have been accepted by Cincinnati and Colorado Springs.  If you're in either area, stop by and say "Hi".

Ed Wagner is also going to Cincinnati.

What do you think of Brent Ozar's offerings to collect baselines? (using sp_BlitzFirst and a job to capture data periodically)

412-977-3526 call/text

My two "Black Arts" sessions have been accepted by Cincinnati and Colorado Springs.  If you're in either area, stop by and say "Hi".

Looking forward to seeing you the Colorado Springs SQL Saturday.!

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, February 15, 2019 2:08 PM

Jeff Moden - Friday, February 15, 2019 9:10 AM

Looking forward to seeing you the Colorado Springs SQL Saturday.!

Me too, Lynn.  We've known each other for a long time.  It's about time we had a chance to meet in person.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, February 15, 2019 11:43 AM

What do you think of Brent Ozar's offerings to collect baselines? (using sp_BlitzFirst and a job to capture data periodically)

To be honest, I didn't know he made such an offer.  Got a link?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

I'm looking forward to presenting in Cincinnati because I've not been to their event before.  Same goes for me - stop by and say "hi" if you have time during the day.  It's always nice to put a face with a name.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:19 AM

I'm looking forward to presenting in Cincinnati because I've not been to their event before.  Same goes for me - stop by and say "hi" if you have time during the day.  It's always nice to put a face with a name.

Indeed it is!  I finally got to meet Jeff when I spoke at SQL Saturday Pittsburgh a few years back!

I intend to apply to speak at Pittsburgh again this year!  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet a few more people there as well!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K - Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:24 AM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:19 AM

Indeed it is!  I finally got to meet Jeff when I spoke at SQL Saturday Pittsburgh a few years back!

I intend to apply to speak at Pittsburgh again this year!  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet a few more people there as well!

Ed and I are actually working on a Pre-Con for Pittsburgh on this Black Arts Index Maintenance stuff.  The two hour presentation just doesn't cover it all.  We have info on what actually happened in 2005 with LOBs and how to handle them much better, more pain caused by Reorganize and how to deal with that, how to auto-magically find which columns are "ExpAnsive", a method on how to determine auto-magically determine what the initial fill factors for all tables in a database should be, and how to rebuild large indexes (more than 100GB, for example) without blowing out the MDF file, just to name a few of the things that I only touch on or haven't touched on in the 2 hour presentation.

Hopefully, we'll see you in Pittsburgh again this year, Ray.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:35 PM

robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, February 15, 2019 11:43 AM

brentozar.com - https://www.brentozar.com/event/free-how-to-capture-baselines-with-sp_blitzfirst/

412-977-3526 call/text

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:11 PM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:35 PM

robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, February 15, 2019 11:43 AM

brentozar.com - https://www.brentozar.com/event/free-how-to-capture-baselines-with-sp_blitzfirst/

This was a PowerBI dashboard that was part of the First Responder downloads.  How it worked is you set up sp_blitz to run on a schedule, and dump the results into a table.  The PowerBI dashboard gave you a view into your server health. 
    He actually stopped supporting this with the latest release that came out on Wednesday because it's difficult to manage PowerBI in source control. It's still in the download, but you are on your own.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I guess a whole lot of people like dashboards (and monitoring systems, for that matter) for such things.  I'm not one of them.  Some show too much and some show too little and, to be honest, most don't show what I want or need to know about my servers.   The dashboards will frequently also require some sort of history tables and, while I'll admit that I don't have hundreds of servers to maintain, I don't need a shedload of history.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, February 22, 2019 11:28 AM

I guess a whole lot of people like dashboards (and monitoring systems, for that matter) for such things.  I'm not one of them.  Some show too much and some show too little and, to be honest, most don't show what I want or need to know about my servers.   The dashboards will frequently also require some sort of history tables and, while I'll admit that I don't have hundreds of servers to maintain, I don't need a shedload of history.

I like tactical information. As soon as a customer reports blocking we run a job to log all the blocked process and the blocker for 3 days. At the end of the capture we remove any information older than 3 days. It seems to help.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Jeff Moden - Friday, February 22, 2019 11:28 AM

I guess a whole lot of people like dashboards (and monitoring systems, for that matter) for such things.  I'm not one of them.  Some show too much and some show too little and, to be honest, most don't show what I want or need to know about my servers.   The dashboards will frequently also require some sort of history tables and, while I'll admit that I don't have hundreds of servers to maintain, I don't need a shedload of history.

I have SentryOne that I inherited.  It's great for making pretty reports to prove your point to folks that are not DBA's.  It's pretty good for the quick look at what's happening.  
    I downloaded Ozar's dashboard the other day, i was going to play with it in my spare(!) time.  

The one factor with the various "graphical server monitoring" that has caused me pain is the chicken little factor.  They see a graph with a spike, or an increasing line, and the sky is falling.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, February 22, 2019 11:45 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, February 22, 2019 11:28 AM

I like tactical information. As soon as a customer reports blocking we run a job to log all the blocked process and the blocker for 3 days. At the end of the capture we remove any information older than 3 days. It seems to help.

I like both tactical and strategic information but I don't wait for customers to report things like blocking (they don't actually know what blocking is and for those that think they know, they don't know the difference between good and bad blocking).  I get both an email and a popup on my screen when what I've defined as "blocking" occurs.  It also stores the blocking chain in a table (but only when it occurs) so that I can check the blocking chain to see what the actual cause was and figure out a way to prevent it (normally, a fix in some poorly written code or the calibration of a user that wrote some for a report).

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Who's going to Boston this weekend?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K - Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:58 AM

Jeff and I are going to SQL Saturday Cincinnati this weekend.  It'll be the first time at that city's event for both of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply