The SQL Saturday Thread

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:15 AM

Where would be the most logical place to develop a guide?

On the PASS/SQLSaturday Website.  Contact them and make the suggestion if it's important.

You might want to check through the Website, first.  I don't make use of social media for such things and haven't done such a search for guidelines.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:23 AM

On the PASS/SQLSaturday Website.  Contact them and make the suggestion if it's important.

You might want to check through the Website, first.  I don't make use of social media for such things and haven't done such a search for guidelines.

This conversation has given me a 'blog article idea.  I'll post a link to it here when I'm finished writing it.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:34 AM

This conversation has given me a 'blog article idea.  I'll post a link to it here when I'm finished writing it.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, there's a SQL Saturday group on Facebook.  Not sure about other social media forums, though.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:06 AM

@steve-2 Jones,
    Hope you're still going to Pittsburgh.  It's been a while since I've seen you in person.  I also know that Ed Wagner is very much looking forward to meeting you, as well.

Yes, bought flights yesterday. Relatively quick trip since I have 16 or 17 nights away from home planned in Oct, plus prob 3 on planes, but I'll be coming in Fri afternoon, leaving Sun am. Wanted to stay around Sunday, but it's not to be this trip.

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:15 AM

There used to be a SQL Saturday guide for orgnanizers with timelines of when to send emails and perform actions. A checklist for speakers might be nice as well, perhaps a way to generate some posts/emails/tweets that help them get the word out regularly.

I know I usually  schedule a blog post for an event, but rarely more than two. I try to schedule a few tweets,but it would be nice to have a system that does a few and sets appropriate dates/times back from the event.

• Does your wife have a favorite color of origami irises I can give you to give her?

412-977-3526 call/text

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:25 AM

robert.sterbal 56890 - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:15 AM

There used to be a SQL Saturday guide for orgnanizers with timelines of when to send emails and perform actions. A checklist for speakers might be nice as well, perhaps a way to generate some posts/emails/tweets that help them get the word out regularly.

I know I usually  schedule a blog post for an event, but rarely more than two. I try to schedule a few tweets,but it would be nice to have a system that does a few and sets appropriate dates/times back from the event.

This is what I found on the SQL Saturday web page:
    https://www.sqlsaturday.com/FAQ/ForOrganizers/PlanningaSQLSaturday.aspx

412-977-3526 call/text

• That's a poor summary of the Wiki that Andy Warren started and Karla maintained. At one point we were looking at some scripting to auto build reminders in Outlook based on an event date and backing out various items.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:39 AM

That's a poor summary of the Wiki that Andy Warren started and Karla maintained. At one point we were looking at some scripting to auto build reminders in Outlook based on an event date and backing out various items.

Here is a list of those wiki pages:

http://wiki.sqlsaturday.com/(S(0u0a4oyzhbnetkvxibivu5aw))/AllPages.aspx

412-977-3526 call/text

• Who's going to be in Boston this Saturday?

• I went to Pittsburgh with my "Black Arts" Index Maintenance sessions and had a great turnout.  Thanks to all the hardworking folks that put that wonderful SQLSaturday together.

I've also been accepted (same subject) to the upcoming Cleveland SQLSaturday (another great SQLSaturday that I try to get to every year) and have submitted to Cincinnati and Colorado Springs.  No chance of a backout this year.  The presentations have been given several times now.  If you're interested, here are the abstracts for the back-to-back sessions.

“Black Arts” Index Maintenance #1: How the “Best Practice” Methods are Silently Killing Performance

Most people don’t know it but the current “Best Practice” Methods are actually the leading cause of perpetual logical and physical fragmentation, costly and continuous “Bad” page splits, comparatively insane amounts of log file generation and, in an interesting “Catch 22”, the whole reason for why we have to do so much index maintenance.

This isn’t your typical presentation on Index Maintenance.

In this first of two back-to-back sessions on the subject, we’ll explore what happens to an index in the first year of its life for four different common Fill Factors along with how “Best Practice” methods executed once per week and once per day have their way with you, your indexes, your log files, wasted memory, and the performance of your code even if it’s perfect code. We'll also introduce a new way to graphically see actual index structure using a new "Black Arts" stored procedure called "sp_IndexDNA" that you have to see to believe.

“Black Arts” Index Maintenance #2: Better Methods that Can Actually Prevent Fragmentation for Weeks.

Most people don’t know it but the current “Best Practice” Methods are actually the leading cause of perpetual logical and physical fragmentation, costly and continuous “Bad” page splits, comparatively insane amounts of log file generation and, in an interesting “Catch 22”, the whole reason for why we have to do so much index maintenance.

This isn’t your typical presentation on Index Maintenance.

In this second of two back-to-back sessions, we’ll learn of three incredibly easy modifications to your Index Maintenance routines to actually prevent fragmentation for weeks rather than perpetuating it, virtually eliminate “Bad” page splits, reduce wasted memory, make your log file and log file backups a whole lot more happy, and increase the overall performance of even perfect code.

We’ll also learn that no simple method is a panacea and what to do about the horror of expAnsive updates.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• SQL Sat Nashville is tomorrow... if you run fast, you could probably squeeze in a session or two.

• pietlinden - Friday, January 11, 2019 7:46 PM

SQL Sat Nashville is tomorrow... if you run fast, you could probably squeeze in a session or two.

How did it go? Did  you like the venue?

412-977-3526 call/text

• My two "Black Arts" sessions have been accepted by Cincinnati and Colorado Springs.  If you're in either area, stop by and say "Hi".

Ed Wagner is also going to Cincinnati.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Congrats, and enjoy. Sorry I'll miss you here, but I'll be on an airplane that day.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply