The SQL Saturday Thread

• jasona.work (7/27/2016)

Ray K (7/27/2016)

Who's coming to Albany this Saturday?

I was in Albany once...

In January of last year...

A little west of where this is...

It was cold...

Oh, it's not that bad! It's pretty nice here during the summer!

Besides, we have good brew-pubs. (How else do you think we make it through the cold winters? 😉 :hehe: )

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Who's going to be in Pittsburgh this Saturday?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• I've submitted presentations to a number of SQL Saturdays around the Northeast US. Who's going where this year?

I intend to go to NYC regardless of whether or not I'm picked to speak. And my hometown event in Albany is scheduled for July!

Hope to see some of you around!

• BTW... you missed a great "Black Arts" precon. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (1/10/2017)

BTW... you missed a great "Black Arts" precon. 😉

Haha -- alas, I was in transit! Driving from Albany to Pittsburgh is pretty much an all-day affair!

• Ray K (1/10/2017)

I've submitted presentations to a number of SQL Saturdays around the Northeast US. Who's going where this year?

I intend to go to NYC regardless of whether or not I'm picked to speak. And my hometown event in Albany is scheduled for July!

Hope to see some of you around!

I have no sponsors so expensive plane trips are pretty much out of my league. Hotel stays are bad enough as it is. I suffer from the not so rare disease of "mefundsolow". 😉 I limit myself to mostly a 5 hour drive one way and I'm not always accepted as a speaker. I got busy and flubbed by not submitting to Cleveland in time. Looking at a couple of others in that range but nothing concrete.

Shifting gears a bit, Ed Wagner and I are beginning work for a "Black Arts #2" for Pittsburgh. Haven't settled on the name yet but it's about ETL on steroids and how to do things like auto-magically download files from websites, make "smart code" the auto-magically adapts when someone makes changes to spreadsheets. auto-magically creating target tables for unknown files, auto-magically creating BCP format files for same, FTP/SFTP downloads, native unzips using POS... ahem... I mean POSH, and much more including the ton of ancillary stuff that we also build in.

It should be ready in time for Pittsburgh in October or so.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:38 AM

Ray K (1/10/2017)

I've submitted presentations to a number of SQL Saturdays around the Northeast US. Who's going where this year?I intend to go to NYC regardless of whether or not I'm picked to speak. And my hometown event in Albany is scheduled for July!Hope to see some of you around!

I have no sponsors so expensive plane trips are pretty much out of my league. Hotel stays are bad enough as it is. I suffer from the not so rare disease of "mefundsolow". 😉 I limit myself to mostly a 5 hour drive one way and I'm not always accepted as a speaker. I got busy and flubbed by not submitting to Cleveland in time. Looking at a couple of others in that range but nothing concrete.

Alas, I suffer from the same affliction.  It's for that reason (along with an 8+ hour drive) why I elected not to submit to Cleveland (although I thought about it).  Pittsburgh was a lot of fun, but it made for a really long drive for me!  I do have friends near Cleveland, so I might've been able to save myself a hotel there, but still...

• Ray K - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:43 AM

Luis Cazares (5/17/2016)

This is sad, because this Saturday is my wife's birthday and SQL Saturday #521 in Atlanta. She wouldn't enjoy if I leave her the whole day by herself.

You could take her to SQL Saturday and say "here's your present!" 😀 :hehe:

My wife wouldn't mind tagging along on a trip to New York.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• So I got the email for SQL Saturday #627 in South Florida.  Half-kiddingly, I looked up airfares from Albany, NY to Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- and discovered, much to my surprise, that they are ridiculously cheap right now!  I said to myself, "this might actually be do-able!" and now, I'm thinking about submitting to it!

So for those of you who've previously attended the South Florida SQL Saturday, how is it?  Should I spend the money on a plane ticket?  Should I submit my presentations?  (Note: my presentations tend to be geared more toward the professional development track.)

I have a friend down there who has already told me that he would buy me dinner if I make the trip. 🙂

• I summarized the costs from this blog post:

The $650 SQL Saturday

on my sqlserver wiki: https://sqlserver.miraheze.org/wiki/The_$650_SQL_Saturday

412-977-3526 call/text

• Been quiet here lately!  (FWIW, I've been so busy lately that I haven't trolled these forums as much as I'd like!)

Who's going to SQL Saturday?  I'll be in NYC as an attendee, and I'll be giving two presentations in Philadelphia.

Hope to meet a few people in the next few weeks!

• Every year I tell myself I'm going to make a point of going to several of these, and every year I realize that there are very few within my acceptable range for a quick Saturday away, and relatively few that I'm inclined to combine with a longer trip.

My best shots this year are probably Louisville, Chattanooga, or Indianapolis.

Alternatively, if I can make sense of combining a SQL Saturday and long-overdue vacation with the wife (now that would be a tough sell), San Diego could be an option.

I suppose time will tell 🙂

• I've been to several different cities and really enjoy them.  Pittsburgh is, IMHO, the best I've ever attended by far.  They seem to have found the winning formula.  It's a truly great event and they manage to make it exceptional for speakers, as well.

We're not so fortunate here in metro Detroit, but I hear Lansing is starting to put one together.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:15 PM

Pittsburgh is, IMHO, the best I've ever attended by far.  They seem to have found the winning formula.  It's a truly great event and they manage to make it exceptional for speakers, as well.

Yeah, I spoke at Pittsburgh this past Fall, and it was a good one.  My only issue was that it was an eight hour drive for me (which is the farthest I've ever traveled for a SQL Saturday).  I thought about putting in for it again, but that drive is daunting.  Maybe next year...

• Ray K - Friday, January 20, 2017 9:36 AM

So I got the email for SQL Saturday #627 in South Florida.  Half-kiddingly, I looked up airfares from Albany, NY to Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- and discovered, much to my surprise, that they are ridiculously cheap right now!  I said to myself, "this might actually be do-able!" and now, I'm thinking about submitting to it!

So for those of you who've previously attended the South Florida SQL Saturday, how is it?  Should I spend the money on a plane ticket?  Should I submit my presentations?  (Note: my presentations tend to be geared more toward the professional development track.)

I have a friend down there who has already told me that he would buy me dinner if I make the trip. 🙂

Hey Ray, June 10th is right around the corner, and Diana Betancourt, myself and a few other solid volunteers are running this years South Florida SQL Saturday. We got about 1000 registrations last year, and somewhere between 600 and 900 attendees,
    depending on how you count them.. the sum of registrants @ vendors vs scans @ the door, (not everyone registered at the door and just walked in, but many scanned to try and win a prize)
    We have a strong group of sponsor for this event, mostly thanks to Diana,
    we are well over 500 registrations already for this year, and will meet or exceed last years numbers,So it's a big event, held at Nova Southeastern University.

We also have two Pre Conference sessions:

1. Advanced SQL Server Capabilities in SQL 2016 by Pankaj (PJ) Satyaketu and David Pless from Microsoft
    2. Design & Implement SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery Solutions by Edwin Sarmiento

if you read the details, so excellent deep dives for a $120 precon.

There's a "So you Think You Can Speak" competition, and a lot more. It's one of the better events I've ever attended, which is why I'm helping this year.
    http://www.sqlsaturday.com/627/eventhome.aspx

Let me know if I can help!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply