The New SQL OS

• Ivan Weaver (4/1/2008)

I was starting to drool until I got part way through. But, it was most believable because MS has tried the SQL Server Volume where you could have a whole disk volume dedicated to SQL Server. I don't know that it is used much, but an interesting idea non-the-less. Still, an OS based on a Data engine, didn't some one try that before, and where are they now? (painlfully remembers Novell NetWare 5)

That would've been PICK. I still have interesting memories on using PICK back in the 80's (some good, most painful)

• The idea of removing the Windows dependency is appealing.

• If only! That would be great...

• Good one!

But...

Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. Hence why we had to create a device/partition (ok it has been 11 years since I worked on either, so particulars are a bit rusty) that we then created the database on.

• Anders Pedersen (4/1/2008)

Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. ...

Yep. Same for 7 IIRC. 2000 objects if it's data or log files are compressed via NTFS. I think that this might still be true for 2005.

Ah well. So much for the Dyson Principle: "I just think that things should work properly."

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (4/1/2008)

Anders Pedersen (4/1/2008)

Wasn't this sort of how SQL 6 and 6.5 worked? At least if I remember correctly those two (and I assume 4.2) bypassed the OS for IO functions and managed those themselves. ...

Yep. Same for 7 IIRC. 2000 objects if it's data or log files are compressed via NTFS. I think that this might still be true for 2005.

Ah well. So much for the Dyson Principle: "I just think that things should work properly."

I'm actually not sure they've ever stopped thinking on this. The original concept of Longhorn's File system was essentially supposed to be a SQL Server database of sorts. In other words - the DB IS the file system. I don't think that survived, but it's a very compelling thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Nick Brenner (4/1/2008)

Not laughing. Not laughing at all. Good thing I read it all the way through before forwarding it on to my boss. He would not be amused either.

How can you not be willing to laugh at all and still work in a Windows environment? Just Chill, same goes for the Boss.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Dang. I was so into this article... good one.

• Charles Kincaid (4/1/2008)

It would depend on whose version of 'properly' is in use at the time. 😉 MS thinks the OSs work properly, it's just the hardware. 😉 It's up to us testers, err, users, to let them know about issues.

"How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on." 😀

• Funny, us DBAs here in Kalamazoo have not heard anything about this until now. We are the new Redmond, y'know!

- Tim Ford, SQL Server MVPhttp://www.sqlcruise.comhttp://www.thesqlagentman.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyford

• You fooled me to the third line.

• You heard it first here: Intel's next generation processor will have SQL Server 2008 on the chip.

I have also heard rumors of a port of SQL Server to the Sony PlayStation 3 with all SSMS functions controlled by the Wireless Sixaxis Controller.

• I'm waitting for your dream 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply