The New SQL OS

• Why....I oughta.......

• Hey, you tricked me! Here I was, getting all depressed at a strategic misstep by Microsoft (I can't explain why these depress me) and it's not true!

I wonder what Red Herring's got today.... "Tech Stocks Hammered in First Quarter!" Wait, that's real. "MySpace and Facebook Still Looking to Turn Clicks into Cash." Oh, hoo hoo hoo!

• I should have realized it was to good to be true.

You got me!

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• DaftUsername (4/1/2008)

April 1st has arrived in style..

I just wish this were real.

No you don't...

No fooling this was already done 30 odd years ago in a system called PICK. Look it up. I worked with PICK for a few years in the mid to late 80's and while it did some things well, it did other things very poorly (i.e. OS level stuff).

It seems like a great idea until you need some of the finer things available at the OS level. Best to leave SQL to do what it does best.

• Add me to the list of April fools. You got me! Thanks for a fun article.

Thanks SSC-Enthusiastic for an even funnier reply.

On a serious note though (should I put any serious thoughts here?) Intel built a chip with 80 cores running teraflop operations which consumes only 62 watts of power last year. I would have thought that was an April fool's headline if I ever saw one, but check out the article:

(http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070204comp.htm)

It won't be coming to market any time soon, but it's still amazing.

It seems that every day is April Fool's day in the computer field...

• gr8scott_o (4/1/2008)

How do I run a program from this new system?

Well with CLR integration you don't need to run programs. You write them.

I won't miss drive letters at all. I write stuff for handheld devices (Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6, etc) and they don't use them. Linux does not use them. Good riddance.

Stripping everything off the OS means the GUI as well. WONDERFUL! A command line interface at the console and possibly TELNET for remote configuration. Great! When was the last time you saw a TELNET exploit. How many of us walk away from a SQL server box and leave the console logged on? Don't complain to me about memory then.

Vendors can offer pre-installed versions. :drool: Out of the box and LOADING a production database in under 30 minutes. [Note that I did not say LOADED. I got databases that take almost a full day to load.]

The is the sought after SQL server appliance.

This sounds almost too good to be true. My bet is that they don't have the nodules to pull this one off. It's not sexy enough to survive the marketing meetings. 🙁

They will lose another one to Sun. Sun is building the database into the hardware. Now it's no wonder that they bought MySQL.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Are there going to be any NON April Fools articles today?

• Charles O'Halloran (4/1/2008)

Are there going to be any NON April Fools articles today?

What!?! Oh damn. You mean that it's not..... :crying: "... and he went forth and hanged himself."

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I'm really starting to hate April Fools Day...

--------------------------
    Zach

Odds_And_Ends Blog

• Sounded like a great idea. Pure SQL Server box with no Windows.

• Ya got me too! Good one.:cool:

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • I was starting to drool until I got part way through. But, it was most believable because MS has tried the SQL Server Volume where you could have a whole disk volume dedicated to SQL Server. I don't know that it is used much, but an interesting idea non-the-less. Still, an OS based on a Data engine, didn't some one try that before, and where are they now? (painlfully remembers Novell NetWare 5)

• Not laughing. Not laughing at all. Good thing I read it all the way through before forwarding it on to my boss. He would not be amused either.

• I hate April Fools Day.

But I must admit you got me.

Also, its not a horrible idea. It certainly would have lots of complications that would have to be worked through, but *in certain circumstance* it could improve security and efficiency of the server.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Whew! I'm way too gullible. My stomach was in a knot until the end of the article! Ha Ha on me!:w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply