Stairway to SSAS Tabular Level 8: Multiple Fact Tables and Perspectives

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SSAS Tabular Level 8: Multiple Fact Tables and Perspectives

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this great series.

One question on this topic though.  If I wish to add a measure that shows Sales minus Transactions or something like that which joins 2 Fact tables, then may I know what's the best way to do that?  I know that the user can simply add a column in Excel.  But I'd like to include it as part of the SSAS model so that it's easier for the end-user to simply include it and maybe even use it with Power BI connected to the same.

Thoughts?

Deepak Gupta

• Create a measure for Total Sales, and another measure for Total Transactions, and then a third where you subtract the two. (I like building simple measures and then combining them to make more complex ones... DAX is hard enough as is!)

• Hi pietlinden,

Thanks for reading the article and you are right, DAX is hard.

Thomas

• Deepak

Yes, you can take 2 measures from different tables and perform aggregations on them. Measures are unique throughout the model, so on any table, you can reference the measure in another measure like subtracting [Total Sales] from [Total Transactions]

Thomas

• Hi Thomas and pietlinden,

Thanks for the tip!  I didn't know we could do that.  It worked for me in 1 model but not the other (there might be something else going on with the relationships).  But at least I know what to do.

Thanks again.

Deepak.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply