Poll #3

• Terminator,

Your best mate goes back in time and becomes your father in an attempt to save the world from the future. Thats got geek written all over it. plus it has to be the coolest movie ever.

• Thought will still be as sudden at near light speed travel.

• LOL.

We really are geeks.

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

• Dunno if anyone's mentioned Jurassic Park -- they're all trapped in the compound at the end of the movie and can't get the computers working, whereupon the 12 year old sees the overobvious Microsoft BOB-like GUI on a nearby terminal and sez: "This is UNIX, I KNOW THIS!" and proceeds to save their collective bacon by bringing the system back up

Nyuh-huh. 

The movie lost all credibility for me at that point...

• Coming late to the party here.

Like all suggestions here and agree War Games has to be at the top. Probably because it's something I can relate to Ahhh ... the days of mis-spent youth ...

A couple others worth a mention,

- Silent Running - love the little robots.

- While still not a movie yet (that I know of) Neuromancer by Mr Gibson would have to be very cool

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Johnny Mnemonic was the film adaption of Neuromancer.  Dolph was great in the movie I think personally, further, the henry rollins inclusion was pretty cool.. Big cast.... the movie felt rushed... but go Keanu 'woah' Reeves

and Dina Meyer is pretty hot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/

• Johnny Mnemonic is a short story Gibson wrote before Neuromancer.

http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/gibson3.html

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Touché.

• Really late to the game.  But my first thought was "Nice Software Stephanie" (Short Circuit: which one other has identified as well) ... followed closely by WarGames and Tron and The Matrix.  Those last three are soo vastly different, yet clearly come up frequently.  It's scary to think how old two of them are.   Makes me feel all nostalgic about a Poly88, TRS80, TI99, and sprites.  Remember when 300 baud was really cool?

• "2001, A Space Odyssey"

Not exactly a "geek" movie, but one of my three top movies in any category.

The other two, definitely non-geek:

John Ford's "The Searchers"

Kurosawa's "RAN"

• I think My favorite is "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" - it portrays Bill and the two Steves, how Apple stole windows from (don't quote me) Olivetti! and how Bill stole it from Steve!

• Also there is "Strange Days"

I really dug the skull caps for a VR entertainment.

Think: a guy in a wheel chair can now enjoy running on the beach in his brain!

The possibilities are endless

http://imdb.com/title/tt0114558/

• Colossus: The Forbin Project 1970

where's the power cord?!?!  Yep, I used to work at LHS when I went to UC Berkeley in the early 80's.

Producer Stanley Chase said that while it's frightening to suppose a computer could take over the world, it was indeed possible. His technical advisor said that a machine like Colossus actually existed at that time. The model for Colossus was supposedly the NORAD system that controlled our national defense systems, and that's why the computer programming center in the film was located in the Rocky Mountains, which is also the home of NORAD. The government wouldn't allow a film crew on the NORAD grounds, so the exteriors were filmed at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkely, California. The missile sites were photographed in the California desert near Palmdale

• 1. Wargames

2. Hackers

3. The Matrix

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply