Poll #3

• 2001 (1968)  Has to be on top of the list.  The Matrix and Terminator weren't really about computers, they were about special effects.  I liked I Robot, Wargames was not bad.

Some others that seem to have been overlooked:

Forbidden Planet (1956)   Give me Robbie the Robot over Arnold any time

Desk Set (1957)     Tracy, Hepburn, and a huge computer

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)   Forerunner of Wargames, Terminator, and other defense dep't computer movies

S1m0ne (2002)

Small Soldiers (1998)

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969)

• Interesting. Got a few to check out and I love Office Space as well. Didn't think of it, but that one would be in my top ten for sure. It's just a little slower moving than the Matrix.

I do remember the Invisible Boy and that was cool. some interesting ones from Scott above that I hadn't heard of. Might need to check one out. And rent The Computer that Wore Tennis Shoes for my son and I

• I would have to say that Minority Report was very cool computer capture and manipulation of the thought/visions. Just move your hands to bring a screen of data into view or push one out of the way, what a way to handle way to much information.

• A loooooooooooooooooooong time ago I saw Real Genius and it even though it was never popular I loved it because of the creative nature of the ideas portrayed

Other of my favourites: Antitrust, The Matrix

Excellent topic for Friday btw

* Noel

• And as an aside, I really and maybe a minority here but felt the original version of blade runner was better than the 'directors cut'

• I'd go for "2001 - A Space Odyssey" but I'd love to have heard that call to Tech Support:

Tech Support : Hello, this is the HAL corporation Technical Support Unit, how may we help you?

Dave : Oh, hello, yes. We bought one of your HAL 9000 units and it's not working properly.

TS : What seems to be the problem?

Dave : Well it's gone a bit loopy and killed all my mates.

TS : Oh I see. Well have you tried re-booting it?

Dave : Yes, but it just started singing "Daisy, Daisy". Badly.

TS : Can you re-produce the problem?

Dave : I don't think that's advisable.

TS : There is a registry setting you could try?

Dave : That sounds a bit dodgy. Isn't there just something you can press to make it work?

TS : Well you could send us the system dump and it's worth upgrading to the latest service pack although you will have to install the KB899761 hotfix and you may need use the -T9059 trace flag (but we don't recommend it).

Dave : OK….

TS : Thank you and goodbye.

Dave : I wish I'd bought a Mac….

• War games was certainly very high on my list!  Probably created a lot of the bad guys we have now!    but thankfully there are some good guys out there too, that aren't afraid to "give away the good secrets!"  Minority report was not a particularly memorable film, but I think the direction technology is heading was well represented in it!  Thanks Steve!

• Lawnmower man

• Having seen all of the mentioned films as an adult, none of them measure up.  It appears that the writers completely fail to do their research and there is always something that makes me break the suspension of disbelief.   The Matrix has the least flaws technically as it postulates well beyond the what we can do today.  I, Robot had nothing in common with the Asimov short story except the title, the 3 laws and a doctor Susan Calvin.  I, robot by Asimov was an exploration of Susan Calvin's apparent disconnection from humanity.  Definately not an action adventure. 

No the ultimate geek out movies have to be the James Bond movies. Cool cars, gimmicky accessories including laser watches and cigarette holder rockets.  Q is the ultimate uber geek.

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• 'Real Genius' gets my first vote, but 'Five Alive' is a very close second.

• Lawnmower man, yeah, that's on my list too.  I forgot about that one (although I do own the DVD).

• Here's an eclectic list:

• A Clockwork Orange
    • Total Recall
    • Demolition Man
    • The Minority Report

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• WarGames... it was practically a training documentary for geeks. I didn't break into the DOD.. but I changed my grades the same way he did in high school. I thought when the term War-Dialing was coined it established the movie as the best computer geek movie ever. Back in the day dialing for BBS' to hook up to.

Now... for the Matrix... you gotta admit we don't know any of the characters credentials. Maybe Neo's nothing better than a script-kiddie. Maybe that disc he gave to the guy in the beginning of the film were just downloads from copymytermpapers.com. Maybe Trinity dated some guy that worked at Microsoft and got his password. Does Morpheus know how to develop a DTS package? Does the Oracle know a lick of SQL? Pffff! 😉

P.S. - if you have WarGames.. when Matt B walks into his house (the first time... not after the break-in)... listen to the TV in the background... nothing big.. but kinda funny.

Pete

• ...and he was playing Galaga in the coffee shop - great game

Jon

• It has to be blade runner

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply