Poll #3

• 2001 -

from "The HAL 9000 is incapable of making a mistake" to "Open the pod bay door, HAL" to "Dave, I'm worried about you" to "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true........." - a not so subtle metaphor for the future of humanity.

Happy Chanukkah.

• The Matrix, definitely The Matrix.

Happy Winter Solstice.

• I like all the sci-fi movies mentioned, but really, if you are talking the best computer geek movie for me is Office Space.  Anyone who has made a living at a keyboard can relate to one or more of the characters in this movie!

Now, were did my red Swingline go....

• I would consider Terry Gilliam's Brazil to be a sort of computer movie.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I would have to say, back in the day it would have been Hackers when it was released it wasn't too bad.  Though today (excluding the Matrix) it would have to be AntiTrust.

The movie has quite a good spin around the whole corporate giant being able to do anything it wants but eventually it will slip up somewhere.  It's got some good twists etc and was one I have seen a great many times.

Another good topic perhaps would be sci-fi/computer television series.  Comparing a series to a movie, I would believe it's easier to create a movie as it has a finite end whereas a series would require much extended thinking and long running plot lines... for this vote, Stargate takes me 3 points!

• Well, if you are talking about a computer movie, its Office Space, that is

as close to non-fiction as it gets.  Wargames is a great fiction flick.

Cheers
    http://twitter.com/widba
    http://widba.blogspot.com/

• These are some of my favs

• Antitrust
    • Pirates of Silicon Valley
    • Philadelphia Experiment
  • i think i will hunt this office space that all you geeks are talking about. my choice for the moment is matrix, it was really cool.

Everything you can imagine is real.

• My vote is for Office Space!

"So Peter it says you have been missing a lot of work?"

• "I wouldnt say I've been missing it."

Wargames = good. Technically a rehash of Dr. Strangelove, but more 'galaga'ish.

Matrix = bad. Plot holes you could drive a WOPR through.  With that kind of budget it should not have come across as a kiddy script.  I'm sure though the excuse that much of what didnt make sense would be explained in video games, comics and cartoons, all of which i never bothered with.  For that is the defining reason of bad.  Just because software comes with readme files doesnt mean they have to have them with every media.

Sadly, though I own both and watch the matrix more.

and as for Office Space all I have to say about that is....

"Eight, Bob. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired. "

• Definitely Office Space.

Now as for purely sci-fi movies...that's a tough choice...probably would be Aliens or the first Matrix.

• What about THX 1138?

And I'll second an earlier post about Bladerunner.

• Office Space is in the same universe as Dilbert.

Tron is really cool.

Wargames ranks up there.

What about Blade Runner?

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

• Even though there are tons of plot holes, I thought "Minority Report" had some really cool technology.  It made me think a lot about how fast everything changes and how we may do our jobs 15 or 20 year from now.  I think my new Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are great, but in 20 years maybe input devices won't be needed at all.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Steve,

You mentioned some good movies, but my all time favorite was "The Invisible Boy".  It was made in the late 50's when computers were still magic.  Most of the ones I see today are technically full of crap that's just not possible...  That said, so is the Invisible Boy, but who had a clue about computer technology in the 50's, so it was like magic:-)

Bill P

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply