MCSA 70-462 Training Kit Preparation: Hyper-V Lab Environment Setup

• This post is brilliant and a great service to the community. Well done!

-George Squillace

• Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback, y'all! I've been consumed with some long-term projects over the last year and a half. I will make a point of setting up some time to review the comments and respond to any outstanding questions/suggestions over the coming week.

• Well written, thank.

• Bruce,

I've installed all the virtual machines. But, when it comes time for installing SQL Server via cmd prompt for the SQL-CORE VM I get the following error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Any guidance on handling that error?

Thanks!

• I just used this tutorial to set up my lab environment for the 70-462 Training Kit. It is very thorough and useful! Thank you for taking the time to create this tutorial. I think a link to this article should be included in the book.

• Just want to be sure I understand. Are these instructions to be used in place of the instructions in the training kit or in addition to?

• Follow the instructions in the book, but also have the "corrections/addendum" pdf open.

• Another newbie question. I already have SQL Server 2012 loaded. Used it to pass 70-461 two weeks ago. I already have the AdventureWorks DBs loaded. Only thing I don't have loaded is Windows Server (any version). The training kit was written using WS 2008. I've been told by others to use WS 2012 as the 70-462 test "could be" updated to reflect changes. Which WS version should I use at this point?

• smacq (5/20/2016)

Just want to be sure I understand. Are these instructions to be used in place of the instructions in the training kit or in addition to?

In addition to.

Go through the instructions in this article first, then follow the instructions in the Training Kit (starting on page XIX - "Prepare a Computer to Function as a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller").

The book skips over how to get the virtual servers up and running. You need 6 virtual servers running Windows Server. Once you use the article to get those set up, then you can start configuring them using the Training Kit's instructions.

• Thanks CKinley. Much appreciated.

• You're welcome. Happy studying!

• smacq (5/20/2016)

Another newbie question. I already have SQL Server 2012 loaded. Used it to pass 70-461 two weeks ago. I already have the AdventureWorks DBs loaded. Only thing I don't have loaded is Windows Server (any version). The training kit was written using WS 2008. I've been told by others to use WS 2012 as the 70-462 test "could be" updated to reflect changes. Which WS version should I use at this point?

You may get a more informed answer from someone else in the forum at some point, but from what I understand you (and I, since I am also studying for this) should be good to go with Windows Server 2008 R2.

Looking at Microsoft's web page for exam 70-462 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-462.aspx), I don't see any mention of needing to use Windows Server 2012. The exam revisions that I see pertain only to SQL Server - revisions to accommodate SQL Server 2014.

Check out the revision document: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/A/2/DA24C040-8E64-472E-B0E1-828FBA195230/OD_Changes_462.docx

• Thanks again. Very helpful. Good luck in your studying.

• Seem to be having a problem starting two of the VMs. I went through this document and the instructions in the training kit, went through Chpt 1 Lesson 1 and things were working fine. When I started the Exercises in Chpt 1 Lesson 2 I receive an error stating that SQL-B and SQL-C failed to start due to "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I am able to start DC, SQL-A, SQL-D and SQL-Core. When searching the web for answers I found a solution stating the the DVD drive was the problem and that it should be removed and added. Tried that with no luck. Any suggestions?

If this is not the right forum for this please let me know.

Thanks

• Hopefully someone can help me here. I'm running Windows 8.1 on my host machine. I went through all the instructions to set up the VMs from this post and the instructions in the training kit. Everything seemed to go like it should. When I went to actually install SQL Server 2012 on SQL-A I get a message stating that the system didn't meet the requirements for SQL Server to be installed. I thought I had Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 as an .iso file on my host machine but it appears I only had the R2 version (no SP1). I don't have Windows Server loaded on my host machine but I don't think I need to, correct? I can't seem to find a valid .iso file for R2 SP1 out there that Hyper-V will recognize so I thought I'd just go with Windows Server 2012 instead. Again, can't seem to find an .iso file for WS 2012 that Hyper-V will see as being valid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply