MCSA 70-462 Training Kit Preparation: Hyper-V Lab Environment Setup

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item MCSA 70-462 Training Kit Preparation: Hyper-V Lab Environment Setup

• Nice article, I wish I had it available one year ago when I was preparing for the 70-462 exam. 🙂

The book itself really is insufficient for setting up the lab environment. I'm a BI guy, so this exam is uncharted territory for me and I strugled a lot to get the environment working.

One thing I'm missing though in your article is the network configuration to support the clustering environment.

Or am I overseeing something?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Nice article indeed, as already said.

For those who cannot or not have access for a Hyper-V host, there's also another possibility: setup the lab in Windows Azure, like described here.

• Thanks, Koen!

Yeah, a year ago is about when I started looking at it, too, then life had other plans. After returning it to it and having to re-setup the lab environment, I decided to document the steps since it was such a pain.

The network configuration is to support the lab environment. The training kit has you set up a domain controller and create the contoso.com domain with the five domain members, e.g. SQL-A, SQL-B, etc. It's used in the kit's practice exercises to demonstrate configuring Windows firewall, port access, data import/export, clustering, AlwaysOn, etc.

If I'm missing your question, let me know.

• Nice job, Bruce! I'll be using this when I start studying for the exam 😀

• Paulo A. Nascimento (11/25/2013)

Nice article indeed, as already said.

For those who cannot or not have access for a Hyper-V host, there's also another possibility: setup the lab in Windows Azure, like described here.

Great link. Thanks, Paulo!

• I was able to install all the servers described in the prep book using the instructions from the book. In my case instead of Hiper-V I used the Oracle VM VirtualBox software, which is free, and I also setup AlwaysOn between some of the servers because I actually had to test that technology at work.

Oracle VM VirtualBox presents the advantage that is very easy to use, just install the software from here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Don't just give the hungry man a fish, teach him how to catch it as well.

the sqlist

• Bruce Hendry (11/25/2013)

Thanks, Koen!

Yeah, a year ago is about when I started looking at it, too, then life had other plans. After returning it to it and having to re-setup the lab environment, I decided to document the steps since it was such a pain.

The network configuration is to support the lab environment. The training kit has you set up a domain controller and create the contoso.com domain with the five domain members, e.g. SQL-A, SQL-B, etc. It's used in the kit's practice exercises to demonstrate configuring Windows firewall, port access, data import/export, clustering, AlwaysOn, etc.

If I'm missing your question, let me know.

You missed the question 😀

Don't you need multiple networks to set-up clustering? (for the heartbeat et cetera)

• Many thanks, as other people have noted the book just is not detailed enough for this process :angry: Might just try this once I've when l pass the exam

• Koen Verbeeck (11/25/2013)

Don't you need multiple networks to set-up clustering? (for the heartbeat et cetera)

Ahhhhh...WHERE is the network configuration to support clustering, now I'm picking up what you're laying down! I felt like I was missing the point, thanks for clarifying.

I'm with you in the "uncharted territory" department in regards to admin/networking, definitely not my strong suit. So now that I have the question, I may still miss the answer. 😉

Chapter 8 - Clustering & AlwaysOn walks through using the iSCSI Software Target to demonstrate the shared storage necessary to support failover clusters in the lab. I haven't done these exercises in the book but the instructions suggest it can be successfully triggered in the lab environment.

On page 339 the book briefly discusses multi-subnet failover clustering. It doesn't go into too much detail and I don't think any of the exercises make use of it. The book is also devoid of any information about heartbeat communication. It provides the following link for more information about multi-subnet failover clustering: http://msdn.microsoft.com

/en-us/library/ff878716.aspx.

That might be about the extent of my usefulness on the subject. I'm definitely interested if you or anyone else has more insight.

• Bruce Hendry (11/25/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (11/25/2013)

Ahhhhh...WHERE is the network configuration to support clustering, now I'm picking up what you're laying down! I felt like I was missing the point, thanks for clarifying.

I'm with you in the "uncharted territory" department in regards to admin/networking, definitely not my strong suit. So now that I have the question, I may still miss the answer. 😉

Chapter 8 - Clustering & AlwaysOn walks through using the iSCSI Software Target to demonstrate the shared storage necessary to support failover clusters in the lab. I haven't done these exercises in the book but the instructions suggest it can be successfully triggered in the lab environment.

On page 339 the book briefly discusses multi-subnet failover clustering. It doesn't go into too much detail and I don't think any of the exercises make use of it. The book is also devoid of any information about heartbeat communication. It provides the following link for more information about multi-subnet failover clustering: http://msdn.microsoft.com

/en-us/library/ff878716.aspx.

That might be about the extent of my usefulness on the subject. I'm definitely interested if you or anyone else has more insight.

Well, I set-up multiple networks (I believe I found a blog post about it a year back, but can't seem to recall it) for the clustering, but eventually the cluster wizard always failed during the set-up for some reason. So I gave up 😀 It's not that I will set-up an actual clustering environment any time soon.

• Koen Verbeeck (11/25/2013)

Well, I set-up multiple networks (I believe I found a blog post about it a year back, but can't seem to recall it) for the clustering, but eventually the cluster wizard always failed during the set-up for some reason. So I gave up 😀 It's not that I will set-up an actual clustering environment any time soon.

Yeah, I don't see myself "really" doing it, either. I do plan on following the book exercises for the clustering, though (eventually). I will let you know if it works for me (someday). 😉

Thanks, Koen.

• alexfan (11/25/2013)

Nice job, Bruce! I'll be using this when I start studying for the exam 😀

Thanks, Alex. Good luck on the exam!

• the sqlist (11/25/2013)

I was able to install all the servers described in the prep book using the instructions from the book. In my case instead of Hiper-V I used the Oracle VM VirtualBox software, which is free, and I also setup AlwaysOn between some of the servers because I actually had to test that technology at work.

Oracle VM VirtualBox presents the advantage that is very easy to use, just install the software from here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Thanks, sqlist. I have heard good things about VirtualBox but haven't used it, yet.

• rwlp.french (11/25/2013)

Many thanks, as other people have noted the book just is not detailed enough for this process :angry: Might just try this once I've when l pass the exam

Thanks, rwlp.french. Glad you found it helpful; that was my experience, too. Good luck on the exam!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply