Landing My First Job

• I am still here and appreciate every informative response. I read them via email updates which is why my previous login is dated. Thank you to all that have contributed.

I am still completing my studies and finding time to sharpen my skills. I currently work in an unrelated field and my wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world which is why my transition has been slow.

Keep the posts coming. I read them with much enthusiasm as soon as they arrive.

Thank you.

• SqlNewJack (11/23/2011)

...my wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world which is why my transition has been slow.

You really got a good excuse, huh? Congrats! 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I am still here and appreciate every informative response. I read them via email updates which is why my previous login is dated. Thank you to all that have contributed.

I am still completing my studies and finding time to sharpen my skills. I currently work in an unrelated field and my wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world which is why my transition has been slow.

Keep the posts coming. I read them with much enthusiasm as soon as they arrive.

Thank you.

oooops :blush:

... and my wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world ...

WHOOP!

Best of luck.

While you're up at 3AM, after changing the diaper, just sit and read through a few books on TSQL & SQL Server. You'll be an expert in no time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (11/23/2011)

SqlNewJack (11/23/2011)

... and my wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world ...

WHOOP!

Best of luck.

While you're up at 3AM, after changing the diaper, just sit and read through a few books on TSQL & SQL Server. You'll be an expert in no time.

Expert in changing diaper :hehe:

Jokes apart... Heartily Congratulations to you!!!

• Dev (11/23/2011)

(XYZ is still waiting for thanks :hehe:).

The most prolific poster post because it's the RIGHT thing to do. Not to get anything of any kind in return.

Just something to ponder on 😉

• Interesting. I started thinking about how I got into working with SQL Server. Couple of companies back I was a programmer analyst working with COBOL and ISAM databases running first on Data General hardware then Sun Solaris with iCobol.

We were looking at rewriting our COBOL application (which by the way is still in use at that employer) using a SQL database (looked at MS SQL Server and Borland InterBase, MS SQL Server won as it was easier to code against with VB6) for the backend.

I started from scratch, learning to install and support as well as develop databases. Neat thing, I never looked back. We built a database system (called AIS) that actualled helped the COBOL app get its tenticals all over the place, it has become the center of much of what that company does today.

My guess, it all depends on where you are at the time opportunity knocks.

• Hi GilaMonster,

I really like ur views. I agree that DBA is more challenging job then developer's job because in any business, data is the most important asset and to DBA is responsible for its security.

I am new member of this forum. I have 5+ years of experience in IT Sector in .Net technologies and SQL Server (basic SOL work). I want to become SQL DBA now. I am reading and practicing advance SOL a lot now days.

My problem is how should i approach companies for SQL Developer or SQL programer Job, because I found SQL DBA jobs for experienced DBA only.

I would appreciate if u can help me in this.

Thankxxxx

• Hi All SQL Newbies,

I am new member here. I want to share my thoughts on this discussion. According to me DBA is more important than developers because as gila said that DBA is responsible for guarding the data that runs the whole business.

A good DBA can improve the performance of company and can increase revenue by ensuring high availability and and consistency of data while a bad DBA can damage the business one can't afford. I think DBA has the most critical job in ant data oriented business.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/6/2011)

JoeS 3024 (5/5/2011)

So Steve what would you recommend then for those poor souls? As being one of them it drives me nuts to constantly be told I can't get more training as it's not my true job position yet I'm responsible for making the databases work. I'll be the first to admit I am not a DBA nor even a developer or have the skills those who are do, yet like it was mentioned smaller companies want a jack of all trades. I wish people would realize that now a days with the way technology is and how quickly it changes it's completely impossible to be a good 'jack of all trades' IT professional. Sure you can study like crazy and learn as much as you possibly can, just don't think of having a life then either.

I've been in this spot a few times, in and out of IT. I've been tossed into cooking or bartending jobs without training and not knowing everything I needed. I've had the same thing happen in IT. In a few cases the companies knew it was a bad situation and they eventually got me training, in others they didn't.

There's good advice from people above. Ultimately you are responsible for the job. Tough love, but you're being paid for that job, so you are responsible.

Here's what I'd do first. Get my resume up to date. Get it ready and set and be prepared to get whacked every week. Keep an eye on the job market and save some extra money. That's me, security first. I'd also make sure I had a reminder in Outlook or GCalendar to update this every month at first. Then every quarter once I was confident

Second, learn to restore stuff and then make sure you have backups in place. This is secondary because if you have a failure quick, you want to be ready to get a new job. But ultimately no matter what breaks or doesn't work, getting data back first is crucial.

Third, I'd learn and document as much as I could about the environment quickly. Get a handle on what works, what's being used, and what's broken. Knowing the scope is very helpful.

Fourth, ask questions about how to fix things. This forum, other people, wherever. Don't worry about looking ignorant, worry about learning.

As you go through all of this, you might be fighting fires. So while you practice restores or document, you might be trying to fix things and asking questions, but make time to get yourself into a good position.

I'd also talk to my boss regularly. Everytime I found a place I didn't know something, I'd make a note and let my boss know this is a hole. Maybe I can learn it, maybe I can't, but I could use help. That might be the best ROI for conferences. Go, make friends, get contacts that can fill your knowledge holes. Or find consultants you can call.

This is really very good post sir

I think the most difficult problem for SQL Newbies who aspire to become a DBA, is to get their first SQL job. Because almost every company wants Experienced DBA only. Either there is no job for Junior DBA or i don't know how to find it :unsure:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/23/2011)

Dev (11/23/2011)

(XYZ is still waiting for thanks :hehe:).

The most prolific poster post because it's the RIGHT thing to do. Not to get anything of any kind in return.

Just something to ponder on 😉

Not sure that's quite right. I don't care about a "thanks" and I'm anything but a prolific poster. It would be nice if people would post back to say that something worked, or to post any changes they made to the posted solution though.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• So I am currently working on learning more programming languages since it's apparent that I must first land a job in the industry in order to slowly attain Dba training/skills. I am also assisting my local union (I work in law enforcement) in establishing a simple database (nothing more than access unfortunately) for maintaining records and transactions. More importantly I've begun to model a database as the back end of a website I'm going to build for shift trading. There's a need in my department that I think could be filled quite nicely with this. Nothing that would be a money maker but a good project to develop skills with and to show off later.

This has all brought several new questions to mind. For those of you working/have worked as a DBA or SQL developer, what are the most crucial technologies to learn? What is dominant today and what is just around the corner for the future?

Obviously I can google this and I have but this site offers a more insightful group of users.

Thanks.

• SqlNewJack (11/25/2011)

So I am currently working on learning more programming languages since it's apparent that I must first land a job in the industry in order to slowly attain Dba training/skills. I am also assisting my local union (I work in law enforcement) in establishing a simple database (nothing more than access unfortunately) for maintaining records and transactions. More importantly I've begun to model a database as the back end of a website I'm going to build for shift trading. There's a need in my department that I think could be filled quite nicely with this. Nothing that would be a money maker but a good project to develop skills with and to show off later.

This has all brought several new questions to mind. For those of you working/have worked as a DBA or SQL developer, what are the most crucial technologies to learn? What is dominant today and what is just around the corner for the future?

Obviously I can google this and I have but this site offers a more insightful group of users.

Thanks.

Mostly, same old stuff, TSQL, programming language of the moment (I'm still using C#), indexing, statistics, hardware...

That said a few other points worth considering, virtual technology. Virtual Machines, virtual drives, etc. That's a growth spot right now.

Powershell, PowerShell, PowerShell.

SQL Azure.

Those are the areas where I'd spend my time, if I had any.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• aspiring_dba (11/24/2011)

This is really very good post sir

I think the most difficult problem for SQL Newbies who aspire to become a DBA, is to get their first SQL job. Because almost every company wants Experienced DBA only. Either there is no job for Junior DBA or i don't know how to find it :unsure:

Thanks

• I usually avoid the discussions when it turns to DBA Vs DEV (developers, not me ;-)). I do understand DBAs are last line of defence but why do we forget many lines of defences (DEVs) that avoid the chances to get hit to last defence.

I have worked as DBA as well as DEV and I believe both of the profiles have equal stands. I don’t agree to the point that ‘an inexperienced guys can get DEV job easily but not DBA’. Many companies hire fresher every year and most of the fresher don’t know what would be their core technological skill until they finish their training period.

A trainee needs supervision for DBA as well as DEV. I am pretty sure nobody gives control of PROD databases to newbie. There would be DEMO environments for their hands on.

@SqlNewJack: Please don’t confuse yourself because SQL Server’s scope is huge. Also, I believe this technology will not die in next 10 years so it’s a secure career (in terms of growth / money). You just need to identify your area of your interest & get expertise on it. A certification would certainly help you in landing on your first job (I am starting another point of debate here :hehe:). My Best Wishes to You! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply