Landing My First Job

• GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

patrickmcginnis59 (3/28/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/23/2011)

Dev (11/23/2011)

(XYZ is still waiting for thanks :hehe:).

The most prolific poster post because it's the RIGHT thing to do. Not to get anything of any kind in return.

Just something to ponder on 😉

I completely disagree. Theres been some prolific posters on forums who have posted what I genuinely consider to be complete nonsense, and have actively made the entire world slightly worse because of their participation. Sometimes posting is really not the right thing to do 😉

Ninja wasn't saying that posting often = good and posting very often = awesome and that posting for the sake of posting is the right thing to do.

What he was saying it that for most of the prolific posters here and elsewhere, when they post it is because it is the right thing to do, something needs saying, something needs clarifying. They don't post because they want or expect a thank you, a reward, the undying admiration or anything like that. Not about frequency or appropriateness, but about expected reward or return, that's all.

So then you're saying because I try not to post as much, when I do post its for all the wrong reasons? Because I'm trying to be offensive or just a meanie?

• patrickmcginnis59 (3/28/2012)

GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

The most prolific poster post because it's the RIGHT thing to do. Not to get anything of any kind in return.

I completely disagree. Theres been some prolific posters on forums who have posted what I genuinely consider to be complete nonsense, and have actively made the entire world slightly worse because of their participation. Sometimes posting is really not the right thing to do 😉

Ninja wasn't saying that posting often = good and posting very often = awesome and that posting for the sake of posting is the right thing to do.

What he was saying it that for most of the prolific posters here and elsewhere, when they post it is because it is the right thing to do, something needs saying, something needs clarifying. They don't post because they want or expect a thank you, a reward, the undying admiration or anything like that. Not about frequency or appropriateness, but about expected reward or return, that's all.

So then you're saying because I try not to post as much, when I do post its for all the wrong reasons? Because I'm trying to be offensive or just a meanie?

No, but you seem to think that those of us who post a lot are doing for the wrong reasons.

• Lynn Pettis (3/28/2012)

GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

No, but you seem to think that those of us who post a lot are doing for the wrong reasons.

I think you guys are encouraging bulk and occasionally it shows. Heck, even I think I post too much and have been trying to be more concise in what I believe I can reply to.

GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

Err, no. How do you read that out of what I said? I spoke only about the motivations of most of the prolific posters here. Nothing can be derived from that to anyone else on the forums.

Ninja's initial post was a mild admonishment to someone who was posting frequently and had mentioned before that he was doing so for reasons other than the benefit of the community. That's all.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Lynn Pettis (3/28/2012)

GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

I think you guys are encouraging bulk and occasionally it shows. Heck, even I think I post too much and have been trying to be more concise in what I believe I can reply to.

Really? Oh wait, this post may be exactly what you are talking about. Maybe I should stop responding to your posts.

• GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

I think thats a fair interpretation of what he posted. I thought I posted a well mannered disagreement.

GilaMonster (3/28/2012)

Dev (11/23/2011)

I think thats a fair interpretation of what he posted. I thought I posted a well mannered disagreement.

Which means we are doing it for the wrong reasons. You know, I just want to give back to the community that helped me learn so much more about SQL Server than I learned in my first nine years working with this product. I don't expect anything in return, but if I get a thank you then great, it does feel good to know that I have helped someone.

• With all due respect and for the sake of "prolificacy", could someone please take this debate to a separate thread?

• SqlNewJack (3/28/2012)

With all due respect and for the sake of "prolificacy", could someone please take this debate to a separate thread?

Sorry for my off topic post, and I will cease.

Hows the job hunt going? (Obviously you don't have to answer that!)

For me, I got into SQL because database programming seemed to be the most used environment in smaller business oriented shops that actively needed any programming. I use other programming languages as needed. If it needs to be structured and supported, I currently try to stick with SQL, vb.net and reporting services is nice also, simply because my current job is Microsoft centric. I also use VBA but I try not to go overboard there because larger programs with VBA tend to get unwieldy. If something complicated to be coded quickly and supportability isn't a big factor, I might use Perl just because I've used it in those cases especially if it might run on a unixy OS.

I also spend quite a bit of time with Linux for personal projects and am filling in some skill gaps in that area. I think that logically new folks should pick up some skills there, but sometimes something that seems logical doesn't always pan out. I would have expected Linux to be bigger in IT than it is by now. I do see more use of it in my current job however, along with some BSD.

Again, sorry for crashing your thread!

• SqlNewJack (3/28/2012)

With all due respect and for the sake of "prolificacy", could someone please take this debate to a separate thread?

Unfortunately tangents like this occur at times on the forums.

• Yea I know but it is about to consume an entire page and I didn't want to discourage others from contributing to the topic. I never expected such thorough and informative responses. This community great.

• As Lynn stated SSC is absolutely filled with a wealth of knowledge. But you have to find a way to practice. Knowledge is great but you have to find a way to apply it. I installed Express on a dump laptop so I could take what I read hear and actually work it out on the keyboard.

I to am trying to get into realm of SQL, so thank you everyone that has posted great advice to all of us newbies!

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply