Interview questions on SQL Server 2005.

• david_wendelken (3/30/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/29/2010)

Just keep in mind that a good interviewer will be able to see that you have memorized Q and A for the interview.

That's ok. The odds are 99 to 1 that your interviewer won't have a clue about how to properly conduct a technical interview.

That may be true for some initial rounds. I wouldn't take those odds though.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Well, I don't want to hurt his feelings if he is reading that thread, but basically because he wasn't fast enough, couldn't do more then 1 task at a time and doesn't look that could handle stress well (Thanks God we didn't have that situation!). How can you evaluate that during the interview?

• i think to be ready for interview, you need to first understand the requirement the company have which they generally mention in roles and responsibility.

They might be looking for some person who is good in replication and you are preparing for clustering, is not going to help you in interview*(just an example).

So have a close look of requirement and concentrate on those topics on high priority and then other topics can be prepared with low priority.

* knowledge never goes waste but it should reflect when it required.

----------
    Ashish

• barsuk (3/30/2010)

Well, I don't want to hurt his feelings if he is reading that thread, but basically because he wasn't fast enough, couldn't do more then 1 task at a time and doesn't look that could handle stress well (Thanks God we didn't have that situation!). How can you evaluate that during the interview?

It's definitely tough to gauge this in an interview... I personally try to find out how many instances/DB's and apps they support, and at what critical level they considered the DB's to be. If they come back with "10-20 instances, with DB's supporting our company intranet site and some other back-office applications", I can deduce that he/she has not been in a critical situation. The company I work at works at a pace I would never expect any company to work at, so I try to give a background on our environment and feel out their response to that. When I say our team manages 250 instances of SQL Server with four DBA's plus a manager, their reaction to those types of numbers tells a lot. Asking if they have been in a high pressure situation or not can lead to a staged/practiced answer which could ultimately not really play into our needs.

The other trick that we've come across by interviewing a candidate individually with the four people we have (we try to have each team member interview a candidate and evaluate them), we will sometimes overlap questions and the interviewee will pick up the answers as they go. When the 2nd person comes in to interview after the first, if a question is repeated, the interviewee will seem knowledgeable on the topic and pass that person's eval.

Interviewing is definitely an art.

• barsuk (3/30/2010)

Well, I don't want to hurt his feelings if he is reading that thread, but basically because he wasn't fast enough, couldn't do more then 1 task at a time and doesn't look that could handle stress well (Thanks God we didn't have that situation!). How can you evaluate that during the interview?

I think they key there is to ask multiple questions quickly, building on a scenario, and also throwing some side questions in there. You can't simulate it completely, but you can see if someone flusters easily with multiple things going on.

It's a brutal interview, but it can be effective in exposing someone's ability to cope under stress.

• Joy Smith San (2/17/2009)

Can anyone send me some interview questions pls.

I recently got into DBA and I wanna stick to it as am very much interested in this.

The problem is that my manager is forcing me to work on other technologies

as there is no much work on database in our company.

I don't want to switch to any other technology now but I have never given any interview for DBA post.

Kindly help me with questions and also lemme know if there's vacance for SQL Server 2005 DBA.

Thanks in advance.

MS SQL Interview Q&A

==================
    Visit my blog!

• please send me the interview questions

• That is pretty open question. Check here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic699786-149-1.aspx

• can you send me those question to my mail id..sudheep.grandhe@gmail.com

• you can check interview questions on forums of winmilestone com or winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview

• prafuljemail (6/7/2016)

you can check interview questions on forums of winmilestone com or winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview

You want way too much information on your signup sheet.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply