Interview questions on SQL Server 2005.

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/19/2009)

BTW, this is one reason why I'm not fond of industry qualifications. All they really do is show that someone can study to pass an exam (vaguely useful). They don't show how that person deals with the unknown or how they react under pressure.

I dont think any industry qualifications can offer you that kind of pressure practically. But, still people who prepare for exams have to encouter to real time scenarios and unknown scenarios in the exams. You cannot really say they are not creditable. People with some really good knowledge and who have industry ceritfications are better to be considered first than people who lie in their resumes that they have knowlege. Obviously, they have certifications means they have some knowledge about the product and how much knowledge they have about the product probably you could call them and interview them.

The first and foremost thing is CONFIDENCE. You have to be confident in whatever you are saying to the interviewer and that confidence comes only after thorough knowledge on the product.

I totally agreee with Burce that you should look at interview as a conversation or as a discussion as what you think about a backup strategy or best index cration on a particular coulmn rather than as a Quiz. For me interview process should be a discussion on best pratices like.. What is your Bakcup strategy? When do you prefer scans over seeks? When do you create Included columns for index creation?.....

• [font="verdana"]It's almost tempting to go into an interview with a harried expression, saying something like "I'm sorry, I'll have to reschedule the interview, one of our databases has gone down and I am getting wierd errors when trying to bring it back up" and see how they respond.[/font]

• In my experience, there is no way to truly prepare for an interview. You know what you know. Cramming probably isn't going to help you much. That being said, don't be afraid to ask for more clarification on the question being asked. Also, don't be afraid to say that you don't know the answer. The best advice I can give is to relax, be honest and be yourself. Remember that an interview goes both ways. You should be evaluating the company to see if you want to become a part of the team just as they are evaluating you.

As an interviewer, I usually throw out some softball questions like: What is normalization? What is the difference between clustered and non-clustered indexes? Unfortunately, those usually eliminate more than half of the candidates.

Greg

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/19/2009)

[font="verdana"]It's almost tempting to go into an interview with a harried expression, saying something like "I'm sorry, I'll have to reschedule the interview, one of our databases has gone down and I am getting wierd errors when trying to bring it back up" and see how they respond.[/font]

That is what "competence based interview" is all about. If you would like to know more about competence based interview you can look at:

http://targetjobs.co.uk/general-advice/articleview-18a_37.aspx

or

http://www.amazon.com/Competence-Based-Employment-Interviewing/dp/B000VZVWV0

Hiring the wrong candidate is expensive.

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• hi, will you plz send me sql server dba interview questions

• Interview Questions

http://www.techinterviews.com/sql-server-interview-questions

http://www.interviewqsn.com/dababase-interview-questions/sql-server-interview-questions/index.html

http://www.allinterview.com/Interview-Questions/SQL-Server.html

For more google it as i did;-)

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• ande.venkat50 (3/24/2010)

hi, will you plz send me sql server dba interview questions

Different companies will ask different questions. Memorising sample questions is unlikely to help.

Advice:

Relax

Don't exaggerate your abilities.

If you don't know an answer, admit it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You say you really want to be a DBA, but it seems as though you're just looking to pass an interview. If you study hard using all sources (many mentioned above) then the interview should go smoothly. At least you'll have more confidence then memorizing 10 questions and answers.

In interviews I start with some general sql questions then drill down into more difficult and deeper questions. I want to see at which point the candidates knowledge starts to weaken and also how they handle themselves as the questions become more complex.

• You say you really want to be a DBA

This reply is for whom ?

• About a year ago we hired a DBA with over 10 years of experience. About total of 10 people inteviewed him - all of them he passed (and the questions were not trivial!). Unfortunately he wasnt able to keep the job and after about 3 weeks we had to let him go. Go figure....

• Just keep in mind that a good interviewer will be able to see that you have memorized Q and A for the interview.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• barsuk (3/29/2010)

About a year ago we hired a DBA with over 10 years of experience. About total of 10 people inteviewed him - all of them he passed (and the questions were not trivial!). Unfortunately he wasnt able to keep the job and after about 3 weeks we had to let him go. Go figure....

Be curious to know why he wasn't able to kee the job. Not looking for specifics, just wondering if it was related to technical skills required for the job or if it turned out he didn't fit in with the rest of the team.

• Just keep in mind that a good interviewer will be able to see that you have memorized Q and A for the interview.

I agree with you...But still it's better to have look into such links as well. There's nothing wrong in going through Q & A. Ofcourse there's no point in learning by heart. But it may help us to answer more specifically on the things we realy know..

• About a year ago we hired a DBA with over 10 years of experience. About total of 10 people inteviewed him - all of them he passed (and the questions were not trivial!). Unfortunately he wasnt able to keep the job and after about 3 weeks we had to let him go. Go figure....

Even I am curious to know why he failed even after being interviewed by 10 people ?? Did he realy have 10 years experience.? Why all those 10 people failed to evaluate him properly.???

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/29/2010)

Just keep in mind that a good interviewer will be able to see that you have memorized Q and A for the interview.

That's ok. The odds are 99 to 1 that your interviewer won't have a clue about how to properly conduct a technical interview.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply