How to Post Performance Problems

• Are you sure that the server's SQL 2005 or 2008? The save-as will be greyed out if the server is SQL 2000. If that's the case, follow the steps for SQL 2000.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail,

That's why you're the exceptional DBA, or at least one of the judges. That's exactly it, almost all of our databases are still 2000, and this is one of them. I'm just so entrenched in using QA/EM for 2000, and SSMS for 2008, and I forget that it's the database, not the IDE.

Thanks so much,

Mattie

• Great article Gail.

I'll add it to my forum signature :w00t:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Nice article Gail.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The Article is very nice and perfect organized. Thanks for sharing!

🙂

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• This article should be republished once every 3-6 months.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'll go one step further... This article and its T-SQL Equivalent should be sticky noted to the beginning of most of the forum selections.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you for the great article. Can you post a second portion on how a deveoper should truely read a execution plan and how to tune. I am starting to believe this is a rare talent and being able to do this is a very great skill. I spent all day yesterday reading on clustered - (aka b-tree) and non-clusted (Heap) Indexes.

I still have not been able to get any performance gains.

• Hi Gail, I agree that this is an article that will add much value (if people will just read it) to posting performance and actually any problems on this forum. I think that people need to know how to ask questions.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Excellent article.

I believe these people are just like me when I became a DBA. You never have seen a 3000 line SP, then you are asked to look into it.

The first key I received was from a fellow developer/DBA. He showed me how he highlighted a couple of lines of the SP, and just ran that part. At that point in time, I never 'knew' that I could debug a SP that way.

That event opened my mind to the possibility there were other ways to debug T-SQL code.

I then 'sought out' more ways to performance tune T-SQL, which lead me to SQLServerCentral.com, free books Red-Gate sponsored, PASS Summit, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks SQL Server community,

Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• Nice Read...

• Brilliant article, enjoyed reading this.

I will also give a link to this to any SQL developers to read and hopefully they will act on it.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Thanks Gail. I'll add my kudos too. One addition that would be very helpful would be examples for presenting executable sample data. Not only does that help the helpers, but I suspect it will force the poster to think a bit more before posting such questions.

Too many times I (or another poster) have had to guess at what the source data looks like and spend time making something up for testing then find out that we have gone in an entirely wrong direction. Why don't users just give us their sample data up front? Some examples of various methods for creating sample data might be a worthy subject.

Good job! 🙂

• I would not worry about people complaining on the amount of effort required to provide the information required to solve - for free - their problem. If it is not worth their own time to ask a clear question, it is not worth anyone else's time to work on a free solution.

Excellent article.

• Welcome to http://www.b2cmall.us//

where is the most popular Panthers online shop.

((( http://www.b2cmall.us/ )))

lower price fast shippment with higher quality!!

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply