How do you describe what you do?

• A former co-worker go so tired of trying to explain his job as a SAP Basis Admin (SAP DBA of sorts) that he came up with a fake story of being a currency artist. He had a good and convincing story that he would use at parties.

• Doug J. (4/24/2014)

My normal response: "I convert coffee into software."

I usually just convert coffee into waste water several times a day. :satisfied:

Tom

• OCTom (4/25/2014)

Doug J. (4/24/2014)

My normal response: "I convert coffee into software."

I usually just convert coffee into waste water several times a day. :satisfied:

Tom

That's odd. Maybe you're lactose intollerant. Try going without cream in your coffee for a week. 🙂

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Years ago, I'd say I 'Information technology'. People older than me would then say: 'so you're in computers', to which I'd reply: 'I don't sit in the computer'. That worked in the mainframe days, not so much today.

• I usually say I'm a Database Architect, or anything that will make people think that I'm not the guy to troubleshoot problems with their PC or help them setup their home network.

• Ahhhh, and might I ask, Mr. Jones, how well does that work out for you? I try the same thing (ETL Architect):

Me: "Think of a database as an actual warehouse. Before you can open shop, you need to build the warehouse -- you need walls, and supports, and a ceiling -- but before even that, you need to have someone mine the ore to smelt into the metal that will be shaped into these things and then transported to the build site. I do all of those things."

Them: "So...do you fix the internet when it breaks?"

I'm going to have to start using the fighter pilot one.

• Michael Valentine Jones (4/25/2014)

I usually say I'm a Database Architect, or anything that will make people think that I'm not the guy to troubleshoot problems with their PC or help them setup their home network.

Very wise!

• Depends on the age of the person that asks.

From old to young(er):

* something with computers

* something with databases

* reporting on top of databases

* business intelligence (data manipulation and visualization if they don't know the term)

The usual response I get: "Ah... Interesting... I think my PC has a virus."

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• "I work in IT", is pretty much all I have to say. 😛

• in a non tech setting like with inlaws or strangers , i just say "i work in an office, and i work with the business group", as i've learned the hard way once too often that people sieze on the idea of free tech support; that " my computer is slow" or "I think i have a virus" thing annoys me to no end,

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• These days my answers are along the lines of...

A DBA - to which they give the quizzical look

Then I say

A Database Consultant - seems to keep the requests for free support to a minimum

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sometimes I answer: "I'm a consultant. I get paid to pretend that I know better than you do." 😀

Some people have mentioned the "free tech support" problem. Anyone who had the guts to charge them?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I have charged them on occasion.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

I have charged them on occasion.

In this day, most every family has a teenage or twenty-something IT geek who hasn't landed their first real full time job but still knows enough about computers to fix Uncle Bob's laptop problems. I route all familiar help desk requests in their direction.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• General answer is "I'm just a civil servant" - that is usually understood by most people as boring so they don't go further.

And the next level is "working in the IT department" but when they say they have a problem with their pc my answer is always "I don't do hardware."

Interesting one is to see how your other half describes your job - mine always makes me sound like a superhero!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply