How do you describe what you do?

• Interesting one is to see how your other half describes your job - mine always makes me sound like a superhero!

Interesting! I'll ask mine later. I'm not sure I could give a good overview of what mine does actually. He works in another area of IT so I really don't have an excuse for not having a very good idea.

• I tell people I work in IT, if pushed, that I look after and program databases. If asked further, I use amazon as an example of the sort of thing that I do - but for my company's own data not amazons (it backfired on me once when someone asked about their order!).

I've been asked about Laptops and PCs (normally mentioned by my wife to the third party that I work in IT) - default answer "Sorry - I look after and program databases - don't know much about xxxxxx".

We get the same thing within the company

"Can you help me with my outlook problem?"

"Sorry no - I look after and program databases - you need to raise a support ticket and get help from the right team"

"But. . . . but . . but you work in IT don't you??"

:rolleyes:

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Stuart Davies (7/1/2014)

I usually answer to such remarks with: "Would you like a dentist to perform open heart surgery on you?"

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Stuart Davies (7/1/2014)

A friend of mine was asked to check the lamp from the overhead projector. For some people anything with a plug is part of IT. 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (7/1/2014)

Stuart Davies (7/1/2014)

A friend of mine was asked to check the lamp from the overhead projector. For some people anything with a plug is part of IT. 😀

I hate it when they come with their printer problems.

Printers are the spawn of hell.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/1/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/1/2014)

Stuart Davies (7/1/2014)

I hate it when they come with their printer problems.

Printers are the spawn of hell.

Printers are easy.

Java problems - yuck

dll problems - almost as bad as java

Facebook problems - worst of them all

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply