Half a Million

• as an IT contractor, i find that I can keep my skills upto date by responding to peoples queries when the current contract does not use a lot of the functionality provided by SQL Server.

Besides I get high when responding to queries. 😎

Everything you can imagine is real.

• For some, it's coffee and a doughnut. For me, it's coffee and the SSC newsletter. Arriving early to work allows me to display that extra effort to my boss, miss the traffic, and enjoy that underrated, under-used "me time". Every day, the newsletter provides pertinent information I can always apply toward a current or future project. It never fails! Thank you, and keep it coming. Oh, but wait. It doesn't stop there. Heading back to SSC throughout the day provides that "one stop shop" affect to get the answers to those questions and concerns that pop up during the day. And it's free...yes, it's free.

• This site keeps me up to date on details I don't have time to research and the tips in the newsletters are an invaluable daily learning (and reminding) tool. The briefcase feature is extremely convenient for storing articles i'd otherwise probably cut and paste or link somewhere into outlook and forget about in the clutter anyway. I'm a developer that has to pretend to be a DBA for a small company, and I couldn't do it without resources like this.

Thanks for helping me keep up to date, without disrupting my disarray.

Brian

• Apologies for the technical problems on this forum thread earlier today. Several of you will have seen error messages when you posted - this was due to a configuration issue which we've now corrected.

If you did previously try to post and received an error message, please verify that your post was recorded properly. If you did not see any error messages, you can safely ignore this.

• Well lets start with the basics. I love the fact that not only is it free, but relevant articles just show up in my email. There are days I would almost swear that you were bugging my computer to tell you what I will need to hear the next morning (kind of creepy actually). There are so many things that I have uses SSC for, I couldn't even begin to start on which ones helped the most. From scripts to code to just pointing me in a direction, some i didn't even know existed, until I found the light at the end of the tunnel SSC. 😀

To sum it up...

"I love you man"

ok a little corny I know...

JLA

NA/DA

• Without a doubt I feel this is the best one stop SQL resource out there. The fact that it's free is fantastic as well. Between the Articles, the Editorials and the other forum users I've learned more than I can recall right now.

Thanks for what you do.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• SSC has helped me integrate SQL Server 2005 Enterprise into my learning technologies application. Your newsletters have provided me with helpful insight and with eye-opening articles. With a limited budget, in a education environment, SSC has helped me create solutions which have limited the amount of our yearly budget that I use. It has also helped my career, by the way.

All in all, a great resource!:D

• A year ago I changed jobs from where I worked as an Oracle DBA in a group of around 30 other DBA's (Oracle and non-Oracle). I had a great network of people to help me if I had any questions or needed help. Now I am at a place where I am the only DBA (SQL Server and Oracle). I had no experience with SQL Server and I had no one to ask for help. I found SQLServerCentral.com and was so grateful I did. Now I don't feel like I am the only DBA here, I feel like I have my own network of DBA's again to help me when I get stuck and need answers. Even just reading the posts other people have written is very helpful. Thanks everyone for all of the great information you are willing to share. 😀

• Six months ago, I had no experience with SQL. I work for a fairly small, but very progressive municipal government. We are nearing the end of implementing over $2.5 mil worth of software thanks to an IT bond. All of it is web based using SQL, from our new ERP system, to document management, to GIS, to enterprise reporting, etc. We don't have the budget for a dba or programmers, so for all of these implementations to be successful, someone had to take ownership. This site exposed me to SSIS, and possibilities of data conversions. I can't imagine how much money we have saved in professional services.

The professionals on this site are amazing. The message boards are very informative, helpful, and no personal attacks that are found in other sites. This site is certainly one of the tools I have used as a novice. I never would have dreamed that I could run an enterprise such as this is becoming, but this site has helped give me confidence. Once this is up and stable, I certainly intend on finding a position to enhance my skills and make this a career.

Thank you for putting together this great site. All the best to you, and everyone out there that has helped pave the way for newbies like myself. God bless!

• SQLServerCentral.com has basically helped me become one of the most efficient DBA's on my team. Now before you call shenanigans, let me tell you how SQLServerCentral.com does this. It keeps my team from reinventing the wheel so to speak. Whenever there is a complex question, I know I can go to the forums and ask it. Most likely one of the half-a-million users have faced something similar to what I am facing. I can post the question and start working on something else. Also, when I have free time, I can go on the forums and try to answer other people's questions. It keeps them from reinventing the wheel. Also, while most of the scripts I use for my job have already been created, I save any scripts that I find that I think could become useful. More than once, I have been asked to create a script for something...instead of spending the time to write the query, I can search my repository that I have gotten from SQLServerCentral.com and usually there will be something that either fits the bill or can be easily modified to suit the task. In short, being a somewhat new DBA, I can secretly credit SQLServerCentral.com with a lot of my success in my place of business. It allows me to get more done in a shorter period of time because I'm not constantly recreating scripts or doing research that I can get from a shared knowledge base (the forums). Finally, I have finally finished my configuration database. While it originally used an SSIS package from SQL Server Magazine, I have almost doubled the amount of information it gathers and tailored it to my team's needs. This would not have been possible without all of you who post scripts and answer questions in the forums. Thank you.

-Kyle

P.S. I like the changes to the website.

• I find either an interesting article or post every day in SSC. SSC is one of my major learning tools for SQL server. I have gotten many ideas from the articles by Andy Warren and posts by Jeff Moden and Sergy that I have incorporated in my code. I'm not a DBA, I'm an application developer (VB6, ASP.NET, PL/I mainframe) and I get newsletters on most of those topics (not PL/I 🙂 ) daily or weekly. Of all the newsletters I get, SSC is the consistently the most interesting and informative. Keep up the great work and thank you.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
    (x+1)-ecrable.
    Edgar Allan Poe
    [Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]

• Hmmm. I was writing a reply but it disappeared. So now there may be two from me. I don't think this is the originality you're looking for but, as always, I manage to be different.

Anyway, I like this site because of the range of topics and because of the humor. I get good advice on SQL queries, stored procedures, and SQL Reporting Services.

As for the humor, I like the editorials that aren't always about SQL Server. I also like the cast of characters that log into this site. Nowhere else have I seen "Smith and Wesson - the original point and click interface". I died laughing when I saw that one.

So. . . thanks for the education and the entertainment.

• SCC is a superb site first and foremost. The site has a great mix of beginners and experts and everything inbetween.

The best part of the site is the common goal that we are all there to help one another. The experience I have gained in my 7 years as a DBA I put back in via the forum posts which is the case for most people on the forums or article authors.

I've learnt a lot from the site and no doubt, will continue to do so.

• I found this site at my last place of employment where I was the only DBA to support 150+/- database servers with a budget of $0. The nice thing about having peers at work is that you have someone to bounce ideas off and catch your back in a crisis. SQLServerCentral has been that for me both in proactive and reactive times.

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

• There are two reasons that I check out SSC each day.

The first is my daily routine of looking through the newsletter. I check out the articles and followup on any forum postings that catch my eye.

The second is that I can almost always solve a current problem by searching through the posts and articles on the site. I certainly am not the first person to come across the problem, so the solution is probably already in there. If not, a post usually gets some quick responses.

It is great that the site is free. But probably more important is that there are a half million users, so there is just such a large volume of information concentrated in one place.

Plus, the QOD's always get me thinking in the morning.

Thanks for a great service that you provide,

Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply