Half a Million

• Dang, you guys are all way more clever than I am. Nice work.

Here we go, SQL Server 2005-style:

SELECT content FROM SSC.com

INTERSECT

SELECT content FROM UsefulInfo

(68731155373876 row(s) affected)

😀

• Ok we have our last place winner... that's good enough Aaron.

Disclaimer : I'm not associated with the site in any way, so it's very likely that my suggestions will have 0 influence on the results of the drawing :hehe:.

• About two months ago, I started a new job with duties that took me outside of my normal responsibilities as a systems admin - database upgrade / maintenance and reporting for a couple of software packages we run in-house. Knowing very little about SQL (Aside from what SQL stood for and the basic SELECT statement), I needed some answers quick for a project I was working on. A quick Google search, and SQLServerCentral.Com came up with the answers I needed. 😀

Since then, this site has continued to be invaluable to me. It has been useful as I continue to learn and grow, by exposing me to things I should be concerned about (such as security), what's coming down the pipe (ie, SQL Server 2008), etc.

Thank you for making this resource available for us, and congratulations on reaching such an impressive milestone!

• Eh, I'm an author... not eligible. But my friends and I send e-mails to each other in code all the time anyway, so I'm used to this. 😛

And you're not associated with the site... what... other than being the most prolific poster out there? :satisfied:

• Aaron Ingold (10/2/2007)

Eh, I'm an author... not eligible. But my friends and I send e-mails to each other in code all the time anyway, so I'm used to this. 😛

And you're not associated with the site... what... other than being the most prolific poster out there? :satisfied:

The closest association I have is that I was given a free PASS pass this year which was an awesome gift... and the tool bet in the Katie drawing, and a few free shirts and a few other licenses. :w00t:

Ok, I'm starting to think they are trying to by me into this site :P.

• Without blowing too much smoke, you'd be a good addition. Your advice in the forums is pretty much spot-on and I've learned a few things.

Let's see, I have the green SSC t-shirt from last year's PASS (my new company wouldn't sponsor me to go this year... booooo). And I suppose I've been paid for my articles as well. Other than that I've basically built a portion of my career based on my experiences and knowledge from here over the last several years so that's definitely worth something.

• Congratulations on half a million!!!!!

I stumbled on this site while looking for the answer to a very esoteric problem and found not only that answer but the answer to a host of interesting problems I had yet to encounter. I can't count the times I've gotten sage advice from the gurus here that kept my fat out of the fire.

It's a great place to learn and to grow. Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into it. Those of us who reap the benefits are very thankful.

(I vote for Kristel Gillies for the i-pod. Anyone who takes the time to do poetry should be rewarded.)

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• I joined SQL Central about 5 years ago, intitially as a place to get answers to problems I had with SQL. At the time I was just starting out on performance tuning, and I had no idea of server administration.

I started getting a great return from the site some onths later, when I decided to give back to the community and start answering questions. As a very wise person once said (*) "You will not know how much you know on a subject until you start teaching it"

What I found, once I stared answering other people's questions, is that it forced me to up my game, significantly. I had to get reasons for giving the answers that I did. I had to dig into T-SQL constructs that I didn't use frequently. I had to develop at least a little knowledge of administration topics. i had to (sometimes) defend my solution to other people offering different solutions, and they knew more than I did.

The great thing is, I found I enjoyed it. Once I would have shuddered at the idea of teaching. Now I'm doing it every day.

it's this continual learning, continual improving, refining, polishing skills that brings me back here every day. I learn more on this site than in any training courses I've been on, and I learn more by answering questions these days than I do by asking.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank Steve for running this site for so long and so well. A big thank you to the gurus on the site who answer so many or the questions so quickly, who create a friendly, open admosphere where alternative solutions are welcomed, not looked down on. Finally I'd like to think everyone who comes here and contributes to the site in any way. A community is nothing without its members.

(*) No, I have absolutely no idea who actually said that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I found SSC from google where I was looking for an answer to a query problem.

Not only did I get a answer but now I get great ideas to help our small shop every day. I work as a contractor to the Veteran's Administration who is using SQL as a data warehouse to a web site that helps Veterans get benefit answers online. We only have a five man shop with limited experience so the articles that we have read give us tremendous help in looking at things we never even thought about.

Our standard dress code is jeans and polo shirts so one would be greatly appreciated and used daily! (Don't happen to have 5 in varying colors?)

Timbo1

• Why is SSC go great? One word really sticks out to me, mentorship. I believe that people move in two directions in all areas of their life, forward or backward. There is no such thing as staying where you are. Whether it be financially, professionally, spiritually, marital relationships, physical fitness or any other area of you life, you are either actively working on getting better or you are allowing yourself to deteriorate or rust away. The best way, in my opinion, to improve ones self is to have a mentor or coach to learn from.

Many professionals today are spending big bucks on mentorship/coaching programs because they know that they can either learn from their own mistakes or learn from the mistakes of others. Think about this, Tiger Woods has 7 coaches each of whom earns a six figure income. He has one coach whose sole purpose is to work on Tiger’s thought process.

Now back to SSC. SSC provides a service, free might I add, where people of all skill levels can learn and benefit from the professional experiences of others. To me, the information offered at SSC through the QOD, articles and most importantly, the forums has been an invaluable tool for me in my professional growth. There is not a training course or user group setting out there that offers the hands on, in depth kind of how-to knowledge that can be found in the forum archives, period. Did I mention that membership was FREE?

Keep up the great work!

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• I just wanted to say that I am one of the recent converts to SQLServerCentral.com. We are inundated with a Googley flood of information every day and it’s nice to be able just to come to a simple clean site with straight talk. I wrote a Haiku for your team to express why I first came here and then stayed.

//==================

//SQL Haiku

// by John Cooper

//==================

Tired of Drowning…

Look! SQL Server Central!

I find what I need.

Thank you for providing a clear place to exchange ideas for us all.

• In the great ocean called SQL SERVER, I found the light that guide my way,

it shows me the best way, It guides me to my objetive.

Its light flock the shade of the doubt. Its presence says to me that I am not alone.

Thanks SQLServer Central. Now we are half a million users but this site is one in a million. I learned too much from you guys.

Saludos desde Bolivia, el corazon de Sudamerica.

Regards

Juan Carlos Arteaga F.

ARTESOFT

La Paz - Bolivia

• I'm ineligible for the prizes, but I thought I'd give my two cents.

My first break writing was over at the old swynk.com. Back then, Brian Knight was the content editor for SQL Server. The very first person outside of my circle of friends/coworkers who emailed me about an article I wrote, both with a lot of positive things and his own view of how he does things, was Steve Jones. To say that email was encouraging is an understatement. If you ever want to try your hand at writing an article, you'll see what I mean. Steve is super supportive of new authors.

When swynk.com's model changed, Brian, Steve, and Andy (along with a couple of other guys) started up SQLServerCentral.com. I migrated over here shortly after them and asked if I could continue writing on the new site and was told to write away. While I got my first break at Swynk.com, it was here that I was able to contribute a lot, both in the forums and by writing articles. These same guys helped me to write an eBook and gave me my first break writing for a print magazine (SQL Server Standard), which was one of my professional goals. All of this experience and the writing credits has helped me advance at work and gave me the chance to try my hand at a for print book. The first go around didn't work out so well (an Active Directory upgrade from NT 4.0 killed any semblance of free time I had), but the writing and posting gave me another opportunity to write a couple of chapters for a print book. It was another of my professional goals I've realized.

In the mean time I've made some great friends scattered all over the world, been able to bounce ideas and questions off a very giving community, and feel connected with many more professionals working with the technology I love than I ever could in person.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi

What I like about this site - Everything

"Keep Trying"

• Congratulations on half a million registered users and I don't know how many more unregistered users.

For me this site is a neverending learning experience.

Every day I look forward to the question of the day, I try to answer it and if it's out of my league, I read the answer and explanation the next day.

This takes only a few minutes a day, which is better than taking time to read a book about SQL databases, because I don't have time for that.

Often if I google for some problem, I end up at this site.

I'm glad to be one of the half a million.

Vera from Belgium

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply