Geeky Distractions

• LightVader (29/07/2011)

I found Doctor Who at the beginning of series 5, there was a free clip on iTunes and I got hooked. And I have to agree with link in the editorial, the weeping angels scare me to death.

Yes, the weeping angels are incredibly scary. Which just goes to show that implied terror is much more effective that the graphic blood & gore that so many movies & TV shows have today. We never actually see the angels moving or attacking.... "blink and you're dead!".

• nigelg99 (7/29/2011)

Yes, the weeping angels are incredibly scary. Which just goes to show that implied terror is much more effective that the graphic blood & gore that so many movies & TV shows have today. We never actually see the angels moving or attacking.... "blink and you're dead!".

The other one that scared me to no end was the one in series one set during WWII, with the child in the gas mask, looking for his mommy. :unsure: Doesn't seem so scarey when I write it that way.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• J Thaddeus Klopcic (7/29/2011)

cy-dba (7/29/2011)

I've been watching various movies via Netflix (streaming and DVD), especially documentaries.

Be sure to catch The IT Crowd!

I have not heard of it but will check it out. Thanks! 🙂

• LadyRuna (7/29/2011)

Try watching some old SF from the late '60s / early '70s - series like

Blake's 7

Space 1999

UFO

Also consider attending a steampunk convention or anime convention or SF convention - there are many that happen throughout the summer on weekends in various locations around the world 🙂

(I went to GEARCon last weekend - awesome geeky steampunk fun )

I remember watching Space 1999. It was good although I remember it being a little freaky for me at the time.

• I do all this stuff with my kids. They give me an excuse...

Netflix:

Dr. Who (yes, Blink kept the kids awake at night. That was a good one.)

Phineas and Ferb

Star Trek (the kids think the 'old' series is hilarious!)

H20 (mermaids from Australia)

Books:

Terry Pratchett - Watching Hogfather every December is a family tradition.

Rick Riordan - The next Percy Jackson series and the Kane Family Chronicles.

and on the non-geek side:

Moral Politics - by George Lakeoff

• Dr. Who baby! All the way...Can't wait for the Silence to come back.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• My all time favorite, is Doctor Who, hands down. In my opinion, there's nothing better.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• cy-dba (7/29/2011)

LadyRuna (7/29/2011)

Try watching some old SF from the late '60s / early '70s - series like

Blake's 7

Space 1999

UFO

Also consider attending a steampunk convention or anime convention or SF convention - there are many that happen throughout the summer on weekends in various locations around the world 🙂

(I went to GEARCon last weekend - awesome geeky steampunk fun )

I remember watching Space 1999. It was good although I remember it being a little freaky for me at the time.

After Star Trek (the original of course!) I grew up on Space 1999 in Canada. Loved it then, but it looks so cheesy now. Guess we had lower standards back then 😛 Geeky for me this year has been two sets of reads: the Coyote series of books by Allen Steele, and "<fill in the blank> of Worlds" series by Niven/Lerner. Forgot to mention I also grew up with Niven, so this continuation of his Known Space series has been a fun read.

IMHO, recommended reads are the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy (absolutely amazing) and the Rama series (still waiting for the movie!)

• I've always wanted to get into Doctor Who, but haven't found the time yet. My spouse and I recently caught up on Fringe, can't wait for the next season. Lately I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix, that is quite the nostalgia kick for me.

We've also been starting to get into table-top RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons. Ultra geeky? You bet. 😛

• Patrick Rothfuss's books (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear) are excellent. But don't read them two fast as it will probably be about 5 years before he finally ends the trilogy.

For volume of geeky time wasted, there are Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (just concluded).

• Nevyn (7/29/2011)

Patrick Rothfuss's books (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear) are excellent. But don't read them two fast as it will probably be about 5 years before he finally ends the trilogy.

Oh, I just did that a couple months ago. Blazed through those two books within the span of a couple days. And now I am pining for the conclusion...:Whistling:

• While not strictly geeky, I just finished The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway and really enjoyed it. Post-apocalyptic, a bit like Catch-22 in the way it humorously digs into the absurdity of war, and it has some kung-fu thrown into the mix.

• Having an Orson Scott Card fest just now 🙂 Totally hooked!

• hwells (7/29/2011)

I've always wanted to get into Doctor Who, but haven't found the time yet. My spouse and I recently caught up on Fringe, can't wait for the next season. Lately I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix, that is quite the nostalgia kick for me.

We've also been starting to get into table-top RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons. Ultra geeky? You bet. 😛

Love Fringe! I can't wait for the new season either. I'm dying to find out what happened with Peter Bishop.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• I have always enjoyed a MMOG and enjoyed D&D back in the 70's. This year I started playing RIFT http://www.riftgame.com/en/. Hide your children. Massive Multi Player Games are very immersive and not for people who can't manage their time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply