Geeky Distractions

• Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant make for fantastic light summer reading.

• My son (13) recommended to me Michael Crichton's Prey -actually, he said "You've got to read this, Mom"! I really enjoyed it. It is a page-turner, and it also gives me food for thought about the world around us.

• I've been watching various movies via Netflix (streaming and DVD), especially documentaries.

Is anyone else wondering when Iron Fist will come out on the big screen??

• cy-dba (7/29/2011)

I've been watching various movies via Netflix (streaming and DVD), especially documentaries.

Is anyone else wondering when Iron Fist will come out on the big screen??

There are a lot of good series like Legend Of Seeker, Spartacus, Psych, and The Office on NetFlix. Psych can be enjoyed with the family, but Spartacus is very intense and best for a weekend afternoon when home alone.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Spartacus is an excellent series but its purely adult viewing.

• Eric M Russell (7/29/2011)

There are a lot of good series like Legend Of Seeker, Spartacus, Psych, and The Office on NetFlix. Psych can be enjoyed with the family, but Spartacus is very intense and best for a weekend afternoon when home alone.

I saw most of Spartacus...definitely for grown-ups only. I also started to watch Camelot but lost interest halfway through.

• Call of Duty - Black Ops has been taking up a lot of my time lately.

• I appreciate the link to the Baen Free Library!

Read the Imager Portfolio by L.E. Modesitt Jr

Read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (a good single book read)

Read The Devil's Eye by Jack McDevitt (another good single read)

Reading book 13 of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)

• I'd say that SQLServerCentral is a geeky distraction. 😉

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• cy-dba (7/29/2011)

I've been watching various movies via Netflix (streaming and DVD), especially documentaries.

Be sure to catch The IT Crowd!

• LightVader (7/29/2011)

I highly recommend Containment by Christian Cantrell. It's a story about a human colony on Venus. I couldn't put it down and ended up finishing it before the day was over.

http://www.amazon.com/Containment-Christian-Cantrell/dp/0984550518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311939538&sr=8-1

Containment was outstanding. My son loved it as well.

• I second baen free library as well.

http://www.baen.com/library/titles.htm

I have still not finished all the free books after that I will buy the paid books. The best thing is all the books are also in html and I can read them on my big screen in big text.

• Try watching some old SF from the late '60s / early '70s - series like

Blake's 7

Space 1999

UFO

Also consider attending a steampunk convention or anime convention or SF convention - there are many that happen throughout the summer on weekends in various locations around the world 🙂

(I went to GEARCon last weekend - awesome geeky steampunk fun )

• Steve mentioned Doctor Who, which I love. Torchwood is now filling the gap in the current Doctor Who series. I think the current Torchwood series seemed to off to a shaky start, but it's getting better with each episode.

Better still, both of these are now being shown in North America at the same time as the BBC and (in Canada, anyway) in HD as well. 🙂

• nigelg99 (7/29/2011)

Steve mentioned Doctor Who, which I love. Torchwood is now filling the gap in the current Doctor Who series. I think the current Torchwood series seemed to off to a shaky start, but it's getting better with each episode.

Better still, both of these are now being shown in North America at the same time as the BBC and (in Canada, anyway) in HD as well. 🙂

I found Doctor Who at the beginning of series 5, there was a free clip on iTunes and I got hooked. And I have to agree with link in the editorial, the weeping angels scare me to death.

I still haven't seen any of the Torchwood series, though.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply