Favorite Cars

• '69 Mustang Mach One in high school.  Wrecked it.  Would love to have that car today!

Two Corvette's.  The world is a different place when you're driving a Corvette.

Favorite car of all:  2001 VW Jetta TDI.  Turbo Diesel.  Chip tuned.  After-market turbo.  FUN!  Eventually blew up (literally) the engine, drawing a crowd of spectators.

Tesla is fascinating, but "range anxiety" is real....

Too many others over the years that are not worth mentioning.

• When I'm in my car, I'm not thinking about the car or how it drives. I do like my 2007 Toyota Camry, because: it's very reliable, requires minimal maintenance, still looks presentable when it's dirty, and the best part is that it's paid off.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I owned two clunkers early in my driving life.  The first was a 1977 Monte Carlo - wasn't bad except for the awful green color.  Unfortunately it was in an accident.  Then my father found me an even bigger boat - a 1977 Ford Thunderbird.  That front end went on forever and was constantly breaking down and leaving me stranded.  My first good car after that, a 1987 Honda CRX.  It was a small 5 speed that got incredible gas mileage, never broke down and was great for Buffalo winters!  I still miss that little beast.

Now my "good weather" driving is fun with our 1986 944.  She's required some expensive repairs that make me think we should sell but then I drive her and damnnnnnnn 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Karl-463336 wrote:

Presently I drive my 9 year old reliable Toyota Camry.  Boring, but a comfortable ride.  None of the bells and whistles (excuse me, safety features) you see in today's cars.

I don't blame you on this one, I'm still driving my 11 year old Hyundai Sonata, still drives nicely and can't beat the fact that it's been paid off for years.  (I did manage to find a manual transmission one too!)

I had an Audi TT at one point, it looked nice but it seems like it was constantly in the shop.  I think a couple of times a year the check engine light would come on and I'd have to replace an oxygen sensor or something, and one time the whole dashboard display (which was all electric gauges, no analog ones) went bad and I couldn't even tell how fast I was going to take it into the shop for them to look at it.

Probably my favorite car was actually a 93 Acura Integra I had back in the mid to late 90's.

• My first car was a Plymouth Valiant, 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree.  It had no heat, so it was great on dates because you had to cuddle on the bench seat to stay warm! Went through the American muscle as a young man.  69 Roadrunner (not a Hemi, 440), 67 Old Cutlass S, 71 Torino.

Graduated to econo-boxes.  VW Beetle, VW microbus, Plymouth Cricket, which was actually a re-badged Hillman Avenger. What a crappy car.  Rusted out everywhere.

First car I bought new was a VW Rabbit GTI.  That was a great car.  I raced it on weekends in the SCCA showroom stock series.

Then kids came and I went through the mini-van phase.

Now, I just bought a 2020 Subaru Ascent.  It just hit 1000 miles.  Which is my 5th Subaru and I have never been more pleased with a line of cars.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jasona.work wrote:

I've not driven near as many cars as you, and certainly nothing as exciting as a 911, but right now I'm reasonably happy with the car I've been driving for the last 5'ish years.  It's a Subaru BRZ.  It's a fun car, except for about 4-5 months out of the year (November / December through March'ish) when we start getting snow on the ground.

I like Subarus. Thinking of getting an old Outback for my daughter in NY. My son wants a WRZ. I'll have to give one of those a try.

• The 1st car I drove any significant amount was an Alfa Romeo Giulietta (round about 1980, so not the current one) that was my Dad's company car. That had a 1.6l engine and the best brakes I've ever had in a car. When the engine was cold, you couldn't get it into 1st gear and, once it had warmed up, you couldn't get it into 2nd instead. Sometimes, in cold weather, you had to take the spark plugs out and heat them in the oven before replacing them so that you could start the car.
    • We had a Vauxhall Nova GTE (small hatchback) for a while that was great fun.
    • My favourite was my Ford Sierra XR4i - the performance was amazing, but the servicing was cheap because it was all standard Sierra parts apart from the engine which was a modified Transit (van) engine. The brakes were nowhere near good enough for the car, so provided plenty of "excitement".
    • We then had a Vauxhall Vectra which handled like a skateboard (I can't skate). Followed by a Vauxhall Omega estate which drove fine when it was working, but cost thousands in maintenance.
    • A Ford Focus was next and that was a lovely car that we kept until it would barely move.
    • Now we have a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo which is great. It's on contract hire and we'll probably get the same when the contract rolls round because it's perfect for what we need.
  • Brent Ozar wrote:

I still really, really miss my Audi RS6: fast, spacious, and a total sleeper. Audi finally started bringing them to the US again, but this time in the form of a wagon, and I just can't get excited about it. The point of stealthy fast Audis was that they didn't look that fast, but the new RS6 looks like Darth Vader's station wagon. That's good if you wanna show off, but not so good if you wanna avoid tickets.

I keep eyeing Hennessey VelociRaptors.

LOL, my wife has a Ram 3500, which isn't fast, but it certainly exudes power. I saw an RS6 (older) the other day. Good looking car. I've actually been thinking a TT lately. A few years were fun, manual shift, and relatively cheap. Might make a fun extra car.

• skeleton567 wrote:

Over 61 years of driving I've done all of the car, truck, motorcycle things, (even a new 1966 Triumph Spitfire and a new 1984 Honda Goldwing) but have enjoyed pickup trucks for most of the time due to our preferred lifestyle.  When I retired I bought myself a new 2010 Ford F150 8-cylinder 6-speed 4WD Supercab with a great sound system, heated leather seats, a bed cap, and lots of frills.

Another good thing is there have been no monthly payments for years!

Can't beat a pickup sometimes. My wife's 2011 has 38k miles on it. We mainly use it for towing, and not enough, though likely more this year with kids gone. We have no payments either, haven't for the last year. My X5 has 120k and the Prius is around 130k. Don't need to replace them anytime soon, and not looking for any car payments anytime soon either.

• My first car was a 1955 Chevy pickup, I-6 engine, 3 speed manual, no power steering or power brakes; just a heater and AM radio. After that, it was a 1966 Ford Mustang with an I-6 and 4 speed manual. Then a 1966 Chevy El Camino with an I-6 and three speed that I drove through high school and college. I wish that I still had the El Camino and the Mustang. I went on to own more El Caminos; I with that Chevrolet would bring that model back.

From 1984 through 1999, I drove a 1984 Chevy G-10 van with a 305 V-8. After 150,000 miles, it got a flat camshaft lobe. Two friends of mine, who knew more than I did, helped me replace the camshaft. We did that with the engine in place. The lead mechanic suggested replacing the camshaft with an RV camshaft for better low end performance. In Columbia, SC by the governor's mansion, there is a stop light, left lane turns left, middle goes straight, and the right lane turns right. A sports convertible pulls up in the right lane, he looks up at me and I look down at him. "Stop Light Drag Race". Game on. When I look down, his car is about where the side doors of the van are and he had this "Oh s**t" look that he's not gonna make it; next time he encounters a beat-up old van, he may have second thoughts. My wife made me retire it in 1999 with 233,000 miles on it since aftermarket parts were getting difficult to find.

My current car is a 2011 Chevy HHR. I like the retro look. It gets good gas mileage and with the passenger seats down, it has decent cargo capacity.

My "bucket list" car is the Chevy Corvette. I've been wanting one ever since it was redesigned in 1968. I like what I have seen with the 2020 mid-engine Corvette.

• pwhoyt wrote:

'69 Mustang Mach One in high school.  Wrecked it.  Would love to have that car today!

Two Corvette's.  The world is a different place when you're driving a Corvette.

Favorite car of all:  2001 VW Jetta TDI.  Turbo Diesel.  Chip tuned.  After-market turbo.  FUN!  Eventually blew up (literally) the engine, drawing a crowd of spectators.

Tesla is fascinating, but "range anxiety" is real....

Too many others over the years that are not worth mentioning.

I'd love an old Mustang, but the pricing is silly.

Range anxiety is real, and I have it, but it's also a little overblown. If you had another car, it's not generally an issue. Take the other car if you worry. I've tracked mileage, and 99% of the time, 200 miles gets me anywhere in a day. For me, there are some ski days where I'd be pushing that, which does worry me.

For my wife, she has worried more from the "lots of trips" side. She may take 6 trips in a day, and go 120-150 miles, which is under 200, but she worries that she'd forget to charge one night and then be stuck the next day. I think we're getting closer to not having that be a factor. Friend just got a Chevy Volt, which is interesting, as is the plug in Prius. I wouldn't be surprised if we go electric or plug in for my wife's next one.

• I had a 66 Ford Fairlane in college.  It had a 289 V8 in it and I definitely had to tread lightly on the gas.  The engine is still going (in a Camaro now).  I drive a Honda Odyssey now - not nearly as manly! 😉

While we were on vacation last year, we rented Nissan Muranos.  They were pretty fun to drive.  One of them had the front, auto-slowdown/stop feature where it would actually bring you to a stop behind a car at a red light.  I found it was pretty easy to get used to that once you set the cruise and quite dangerous when I got in another vehicle without it! 😉

• aimeek wrote:

I owned two clunkers early in my driving life.

Now my "good weather" driving is fun with our 1986 944.  She's required some expensive repairs that make me think we should sell but then I drive her and damnnnnnnn 🙂

I've wondered about a 944. Didn't love the look, but it's grown on me. I think if I found an older, nice 928, I'd think about it.

As for clunkers, this was one of my favorite cars, mostly because I paid US$400 for it.

68ce5e362518f6d6b247d3e1aeb2e6af

• Chris Harshman wrote:

Karl-463336 wrote:

Probably my favorite car was actually a 93 Acura Integra I had back in the mid to late 90's.

I had one for a stretch, with the (annoying) auto seatbelts.

• You should probably own at least one electric car in your life.  It was a bucket list thing for me.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 and it has been great so far.  It is wild all the cool new features that get added in the software updates, including a 5% power boost with nothing but a software change.  Unreal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply