Favorite Cars

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Favorite Cars

• I've not driven near as many cars as you, and certainly nothing as exciting as a 911, but right now I'm reasonably happy with the car I've been driving for the last 5'ish years.  It's a Subaru BRZ.  It's a fun car, except for about 4-5 months out of the year (November / December through March'ish) when we start getting snow on the ground.

It's not *quite* gotten to the "boss I can't make it in today, the snow's too deep, so can I telework for the day," but it's thought it loudly.

The lease on the wifes' car is coming up in a few months, she might go with the same car again (Forester)

Me, though, I'm fighting the "I want a new car" bug.  I've been giving the Jeep Gladiator the hairy eyeball recently.  Haven't gone to take one for a test drive yet, but it's been close (like, the dealership I stopped in at was busy and I didn't feel like waiting.)  I've also looked at Teslas, although I'd want a Model S, not the 5 or X, and even a lease on one of those is close to my house payment.  We also like to travel and while there's a couple of the Supercharger stops on the way, I'd be keeping an eye on the charge indicator...

• I have been looking at electric cars - in the UK the government has put in place tax incentives and grants to try and boost the sector.

I am 6'8" (2.03m) and both my sons are well over 6' and I have found that most electric vehicles are unviable - skimping on leg and headroom.

Currently I drive a Hyundai IX20 and it is both my and my wife's favourite car. We can both drive comfortably - even though she is a lot shorter - and we can all fit in it. I can even see under the rear-view mirror!

From my point of view, vehicles have improved immensely from the time when I had to fit my legs around the steering-wheel.

• I had a Mini 850cc then a porche 924 (both utterly useless if you like your spine intact)

so I switched to bikes - I have a Harley 883 iron, Kawasaki VN800, Vertemati S501 (a single cylinder 500cc motocross beast that nearly breaks your leg when you kick start it) and a honda ruckus that has been stretched and modded.

I already know which one i'm riding into work based on what mood i'm in when I wake up.

if i'm in a bad mood and I have lots of meetings that day about pointless issues, the vertemati is my choice. 500cc at 112kg - every corner is sideways and the parking lot requires room for one wheeled maneuvers. - I do however tend to be in a better mood during the meetings

MVDBA

• I had a driving day for my fortieth.  The Ferrari felt like a knackered Fiat until it hit 90mph when, all of a sudden, it came alive and I thought "now I know what the fuss is about"!

Lamborghini's are great from the outside.  The Aston Martin made me wish I had shined my shoes and worn a tie to drive it.  I loved it but I know someone who owns one and they say the ownership experience isn't great.

I loved my Dad's Caterham 7.  I'm too tall for the cars I really like.  There are loads of cars I wanted to like but was disappointed when I actually drove them.

At one time I had a Mitsubishi Carisma.  Ironically named in my view.  Top Gear wrote of it "No matter what speed you drive this car always gives the impression it would be better driven more slowly".  Harsh, but fair.

• I still really, really miss my Audi RS6: fast, spacious, and a total sleeper. Audi finally started bringing them to the US again, but this time in the form of a wagon, and I just can't get excited about it. The point of stealthy fast Audis was that they didn't look that fast, but the new RS6 looks like Darth Vader's station wagon. That's good if you wanna show off, but not so good if you wanna avoid tickets.

I keep eyeing Hennessey VelociRaptors.

• David.Poole wrote:

The Aston Martin made me wish I had shined my shoes and worn a tie to drive it.

Before I bought my 911, I was torn between a 911 or a Vantage. Went to an Aston dealer and I felt totally underdressed just being in the dealership, let alone in the car. That was the end of that. You nailed it.

• One of my favorite cars to have owned was a 1972 Opel GT. sight lines similar to a corvette, but on a  smaller scale.  It was a lot of fun to drive, especially on the winding roads of New Hampshire.    Presently I drive my 9 year old reliable Toyota Camry.  Boring, but a comfortable ride.  None of the bells and whistles (excuse me, safety features) you see in today's cars.

• Over 61 years of driving I've done all of the car, truck, motorcycle things, (even a new 1966 Triumph Spitfire and a new 1984 Honda Goldwing) but have enjoyed pickup trucks for most of the time due to our preferred lifestyle.  When I retired I bought myself a new 2010 Ford F150 8-cylinder 6-speed 4WD Supercab with a great sound system, heated leather seats, a bed cap, and lots of frills.

It's not the way-out sporty kind, but has really luxurious comfortable furnishings.  We towed at times a travel trailer, a flat-bed trailer with 4-wheelers and snowmobiles, and tons of firewood.  Our 100# Golden Retriever travels with us most of the time.  The 4WD is great for mountain backroad exploring and the comfort and sound  are great for the 1300 miles between our midwest home and our mountain cabin before we sold it last summer.

We've maintained this pickup faithfully, and it is still going strong at 130k miles.  We prefer it for travel over my wife's Buick Park Avenue which is now 17 years old and also still going strong for local running around.

Another good thing is there have been no monthly payments for years!

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• My car history is (and apologies to the US readers who may not some of know these cars):

Renault 5 - Wrote this off 2 weeks after passing my driving test

Lancia Y10 - Was my mum's car and a stop gap replacement to get me to and from college

Renault 5 - Engine from written off first Renault went into this one as it was a special edition 'Monaco'

Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole - First hot hatch I owned, 148BHP from a 2.0 16v. Over time wanted more power, so found a replacement engine from same manufacturer that bolted straight in and then had turbo power. Power up to 210BHP.

Lancia integrale - This belonged to my dad, so seldom got to drive it, but the looks people would give would always bring a smile to your face

Fiat Coupe - Turbo engine from the Tipo got put into the coupe and over the many years I've had it, modified it a lot to be pushing 400bhp / 380lbs from a 2.0 16v turbo.

Renault Clio - Wife's car that we had for about 10 years.

Nissan Juke Nismo RS - Wife wanted a different car, so got this on lease for 3 years.

Mazda MX5 NC - This is my commuter car, until impending arrival of first child and it will be going for a sensible car.

Fiat 500x - The wife's sensible car for said impending child.

I've also driven other cars that belonged to my friends - Honda Integra Type R, Honda S2000, Mitsubishi Evo 6, DB7

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  HBollah.
  • Karl-463336 wrote:

One of my favorite cars to have owned was a 1972 Opel GT. sight lines similar to a corvette, but on a  smaller scale.  It was a lot of fun to drive, especially on the winding roads of New Hampshire.    Presently I drive my 9 year old reliable Toyota Camry.  Boring, but a comfortable ride.  None of the bells and whistles (excuse me, safety features) you see in today's cars.

Karl, that is interesting because I had at one point a brand-new 1968 Opel station wagon and it was absolutely the worst vehicle I ever had.  The problem was that when the weather was rainy or cold it would not start.  Dealer couldn't find the problem.  That was the point in life where my finances were the tightest, changing jobs, starting a family, and I many times had to jog from 1600 North Johnson Street to 2600 South Michigan Street to get to work by 7:30 to 5:30, then back to a second job from 6:00 pm until 10:00 PM, then home, even through northern winter .

Now, of course, I wish I COULD jog like that!

Rick

• Nick, at 6'8  you remind me of my college roommate who was that size, although quite skinny.  His girlfriend, and wife of many years, was 5'2".  We always joked that the difference wasn't so great, she was 5'2" and he was 5'20".

Rick

• The car I miss most is the 62 Chevy Biscayne I drove back and forth to college. straight 6 3 speed, it could take all manner of abuse and keep running. I still miss my 97 Explorer and today drive a Subaru Outback. I enjoy the occasional moments my wife lets me drive her Jeep Rubicon, and the new Jeep Gladiator has really got me excited. On the other hand, on good days, I'm more than willing to take the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 to work, although I have been thinking about downsizing to something a little lighter like a Honda Shadow, or possibly a Sport Tourer class.

Luther

• 2001 blue ford focus zx3 aka "The Blue Teardrop". First car (well it was my older brothers, actually it was my oldest brother's, then the other brother's, then mine) , first love. Many teardrops fell from my eyes the day it rolled away. I really miss breaking down and waiting for a ride, I felt those were the best times you could go into deep thought.

Jake.

• skeleton567 wrote:

Karl-463336 wrote:

One of my favorite cars to have owned was a 1972 Opel GT. sight lines similar to a corvette, but on a  smaller scale.  It was a lot of fun to drive, especially on the winding roads of New Hampshire.    Presently I drive my 9 year old reliable Toyota Camry.  Boring, but a comfortable ride.  None of the bells and whistles (excuse me, safety features) you see in today's cars.

Karl, that is interesting because I had at one point a brand-new 1968 Opel station wagon and it was absolutely the worst vehicle I ever had.  The problem was that when the weather was rainy or cold it would not start.  Dealer couldn't find the problem.  That was the point in life where my finances were the tightest, changing jobs, starting a family, and I many times had to jog from 1600 North Johnson Street to 2600 South Michigan Street to get to work by 7:30 to 5:30, then back to a second job from 6:00 pm until 10:00 PM, then home, even through northern winter .

Now, of course, I wish I COULD jog like that!

My 2008 Opel (sold by Saturn in the US when Saturn existed) Astra that I bought new in December,2008 is about to turn over 200,000 miles and has been very reliable for me. There have been a few more costly repairs but I certainly have gotten my money's worth...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply