Data At Home

• I'm curious since I've been reading a lot about various advances in storage for PCs. We now have 1000GB drives, 15k laptop drives and more. It's getting to the point where I expect RAID (1 or 5) to start becoming something we see sold in mid-range computers from Dell. In five years my Mom will probably be talking about replacing a drive in her desktop array 🙂

But in the meantime I needed a poll. I know most of you deal with multi-megabyte databases, probably have terabyte servers at work and maybe even petabyte tape backups. However...

How much storage do you have at home?

We're data guys and gals, so I thought I'd ask. It's not that we need more data than anyone else, heck, our kids with their MP3s and iDVD home movies and what-not. But many of us do work at home, we might test things, maybe write a book, etc. So how much storage do you have?

Here at the dkRanch, I've got 3 machines for me. A laptop with only 60GB, a primary desktop that's due to be retired with 270GB on 2 drives and a new desktop coming in with 200GB. The kids have their iMac with 250GB and no idea how much MP3 storage they have.

My wife's a computer pro as well and she has 2 machines and about 200GB as well. So far that seems to work well. With the 160GB TiVo, I'm got most things covered.

• We're DINKS so I have some time & money.

My desktop has 1TB, raw 500 GB net in 4 drives.  The system mirror has an XP, Vista, and Ubuntu boot partition. 

I'm out of space.

My wife's has 90 GB raw, 45 GB net in 2 drives.  When one of her drives crashed she was amazed that I just popped in a replacement and waited for the rebuild and she did not lose anything - unlike at work.

The laptop is 50GB with no RAID but anything worth having is backed up to the server regularly.

The household file/media/backup server has about 500GB in a combo of RAID 0/5/10

Should I count the 160GB in the DVR?  Its a rental from the cable co.

• Not as much as most, probably.

The desktop machine has a 160GB and a 20GB. There's a badly damaged 200GB in there which I need to throw away.

The laptop has a 120GB drive

The server has (I think) a 40GB hard drive, but I'm not sure if it counts, seeing as it doesn't have a motherboard at the moment.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have around 500 GB, going short with all the tivo, family movies and sound stuff I store and manipulate. Will buy some more drives shortly. not sure what, probably some kind of USB2/Firewire external drive.

I may also consider a good internal raid array partitioned in large size chunks so I can have multiple systems. Vista for fun, XP for real world and anything else like unix, and server versions for my education.

Serous stuff like letters, taxes email count for nothing, fun stuff like sound and movies takes everything.

I am also frustrated with standard DVD space, it is becoming too small for some movies. Is Blue Ray an alternative? Also, is there a good software out there? MyDVD did not suit my needs, Nero Is OK but burning a DVD is still a very time consuming experience. What can I do to quickly burn 4.5GB chunks of data at once? That's is my problem.

Philippe

BI Guy

• Please note as well as an IT Pro, I am also a semi pro Photographer (may explain storage patterns!)

Main machine:

• 36GB SCSI Primary OS
    • 36GB SCSI Swap (OS & PS)
    • 250GB RAID 1 - Data (currently 90% used - reminds me need upgrade!)
    • 250GB - Media (currently 50% used)

NAS device -Linkstation (always on)

• 250GB Internal - Synced to of Data on Main Machine
    • 160GB External - Synced to some of Media on Main Machine
    • 80GB External - General Photos (non-work) etc (so Family can access)

Main Laptop

• 60GB - All data synced to NAS whenever possible (i.e. data carried for use)

Ultra Portable laptop

• 40GB - No permanant data

Mac mini

• 40GB - No Permanant data - access to NAS for data

Small External Portable

• 60GB 2.5" device for backup on the road with Laptops

DVD

• Whilst I do use DVD I do not trust them as far as I can throw them (and I use to through discus for school!) since even with the highest quality ones, you can never guarantee they will work with every drive.
  • Hi there,

40 Gb in my laptop.

250 Gb Lacie

256 Mb pendrive usb 1

512 Mb pendrive usb 2

ipod Nano 4 Gb

ipod 40 Gb

mp3 player (I don't remember)

Happy coding!

• Old main machine (Win 98) 20Gb ish

Laoptop 60GB

New Main Machine 2 x 250Gb SATA - I store lots of photographs and websites

Daughter's pc (mp3 etc) 200GB

Son's pc - at least 400GB (mp3, video, 3d models, programs and other IT student essentials)

Plus umpteen CD/RW which will read only on Nero (which won't install on laptop where I'd really like it - the incompatability of formats is a gripe)

and umpteen CD/R and now DVD also

Plus 256MB in my mobile phone (otherwise known as about 17 albums in mp3 format for listening at work)

plus 32mb in partner's mobile phone

128Mb plus 16Mb in camera

plus other devices such as 2 psions, daughters mp3 player and son's ipod and so on.

Storage is everywhere these days - even my sewing and knitting machines are programmable and have storage!!

• 250GB TivO (rare in the UK), 700GB NAS on old pc running NASLite, 2 x laptops and 1 x desktop of 40gb, 1 Xbox with 40gb, 1 Xbox 10gb, 1 Xbox 360 20Gb, assorted phones, flash drives, mp3s and cameras with flash of a few GBs.

• Oh my god, 128 mb on my digital camera and 256 on my videocamera

PlayStation 2 too?

• 40Gb on Laptop

40GB on PC

320GB external drive that i share with both PC and Laptop

20GB Sony MP3

• Mixed bag here

33Gb on Laptop (nearly full but all disposable)

2 x 160Gb on Family Desktop

330Gb or so in RAID on my home office / tinkering PC

1 x 300Gb on Roaming USB disk drive.

SJ

• Looks like you have enough input to show a pattern...  But here's my 2 cents

Acer Ferrari 4000 has 2 GB ram and 100 GB hard disk.

(1) small 100 GB USB2 for my computer case.

(2) Lacie Big Disk Extremes with 500 GB each.

(1) 1999 tower with 2 13 GB drives. Used for grandchildren that want to serf the net.

I think that totals to 1226 GB and has been more than enough for my needs.

If I need more, I'll just purchase another Lacie.  They daisy chain together with Firewire 800 and are so FAST

• Hi there,

It'd be interesting ask to the people how many space have they available in its organizations.

Me, around 4 Tb only for production server both sql2k-sql25k

• Main rig: 500GB SATA RAID plus 320GB PATA

FSG store: 250GB

HTPC: 160GB

Laptop 1: 40GB

Laptop 2: 60GB

Laptop 3: 80GB

Test rig: 3 x HDs; 20GB 2x 40GB

Couple of old HDs - no idea of the size

oh, and a couple of 1GB pen drives.

Wow: 1.5TB of data....mmm, wasn't aware i had that much!

• Hi,

I've an old Dell desktop running as server with one disk of 300Gb(data) SATA, one disk(data) 160Gb ATA and one disk 80Gb (system) : used as backup and test server

The mediacenter has a 300Gb SATA disk (separate partitions for system and data) : used as mediacenter

The family desktop has a 160Gb(data) SATA, a 120Gb(data) SATA and a 80Gb(system) ATA : used as general machine and as video editing machine.

My work laptop with standard 40 Gb (much too little 🙁 )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply