Data At Home

• I have 100GB plus as 30GB Scratch drive on a G4 (the "tower") PowerMac.

• I'm glad to be back. I needed to swim back and I never saved anything for the trip. I was happy to amuse. If your going to set up them up that easy I'm bound to swing at them (re... storage at home)...

My ring is finally recharged and clutter pushed aside. I did lose alot of data/ pictures a few years a ago.  But got over it, sometimes you just have to let go.

Finished rolling out all the co's new infrastructure and work process auditing systems. Just going through the debugging stages.

Home on the other hand, could use a ladies touch...

but actually onto the subject at hand....

Power quality issues and heat and enviornmental issues usually detract from me seriously looking beyond, DVD / CD solutions.

There are some internet solutions out there, but not suiting my purposes. 

My work accomodates my backups of storage.  Since I built them, I should get 'some perks'.  And If my 2 TB + raid 10 breaks down and I lose everything i'll have bigger problems than whether my holiday pictures to niagara falls are gone a miss.

• The BIGGER question should be... what in the world are all of you folks saving on drives ???? Songs, pictures, TV shows, movies, data of what ....... 

• I'm saving the results of Pi.  Everytime it fills up I have to buy new drives.

Eventually I'll get to the last digit.

• Well, I think this is the first time I am really, truly, completely different. 

I have no computer at home.  I don't have any email, television reception, cell phone reception, zero, nada.  When we get bored I'll drive 20 minutes to the (local!) video (yes, video) rental store and find something to watch, but it isn't often. 

I spend my entire working day with my face in a computer screen -- I'm dba/developer for a fast growing medium sized manufacturing company, but still very active in the production side of our company (beer). 

We live in the mountains, in total beauty and quiet and the last thing I want to do at home is look at another screen.  I guess I'm lucky!

DL

• Oh god, it's the unibomber. Just remember not to look up (enemy of the state), I'm sure they will find you before beer-thirty.

• Ha Ha!!  Cheers.

• David, good for you. Have to say I like my media. Not too much stuff I watch, but sports, a few shows a week and some movies here and there are a nice way to relax.

• I use a Thinclient with 1 gig of ram that connects via fiber to a online server with personal storage of 10TB.

Wait, this isn't a fantasy question?

Sorry.

Follow up question:

Would you use M$ new Windows Home Server product to centralize and perhaps simplify all home storage needs?

<http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_preview.asp&gt;

I would like a Thinclient based home server network and get rid of all the PC's and the required upkeep and other problems they cause.

• Main PC (Entertainment/Gaming/Development)

160GBx3, 250GBx1, 40GBx1

SqlServer PC (SqlServer 2005 Dev version)

160GBx1

Laptop

40GB

and 4 more USB2 External Hd with Total capacity of 200GB

yet with of my craps, I am still running out of HD space.  DVD burners are useless, especially when u need to burn 500GB worth of stuff, be easier to buy a new HD and add them to pc until the power supply craps out, then buy a new power supply. 

• My PC has a measely 80GB while my wife and kids have 160GB and my in-laws have 100GB and a 40GB external storage drive. All on the same net. 

• The questions should be:

How do you manage so much data? How often do you suppose you will revisit any give file? How do you back up your data and to what media? Do you have an off-site storage? How do you upgrade your files? For example if the next version of the software, like Microsoft Excel or Access will upgrade files or it will be a new format on your MP3 files, how are you planning to uograde your many-GBs?

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• 900GB RAID 5 on the home "file server"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpuza/sets/72157594151531104/

(have added a drive since the pictures were taken)

• 450 GB on my new server

40 Gb on each of my laptops

200 Gb by USB connect HDD

150Gb on my Wide PC

and 2 * 200 Gb awaitiing installation into older PCs upon their rebuild.

• 350GB - Wife's PC

50GB - My Laptop

3TB RAID 1 on VMWare host

2.5TB Backup server

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply