Data At Home

• Jeesh, our PC at home has a 40 gig HD and we only use about 12 gig... What in the world are all of you guys storing on your hard drives ?????  We have a bunch of ITUNES songs but they are only like 1-2 mg a song....

• I have only 200G at home, and it works.

My wife, avid Photoshop user (and now administrator of a Photoshop centered website) has 600G on her machine and a 120G USB drive that she carries in her purse.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• 160G in the home PC, plus the old 160G HDD which I use for daily file backups.  I use it for video editing, DVD production, years of pictures, all my music files....  it is getting tight but it is still enough for me.

• I have 3 comps at home

my wife comp 120Gb Maxtor and 300Gb Seagate

my comp 120Gb Maxtor and 200Gb Maxtor

comp for guests have 40Gb IBM

that's all data storage

• RE:How much storage do you have at home?

I have:

one walk-in closet.

4 other closets, one with shelves, three others with places to hang clothes and coats and such.

2 shelving units, for electronica and such.

half a dozen tupperware 78 litre size for assorted things ...

re hd's ....I've about a terabyte... plus I keep 3 spindles of dvd's around for data storage.. and a few spindles of cd'rs for other data storage...

• Well, even though I work at home, I'm not quite as up to date as your household.  I only have 1 laptop and 2 computers.  Belive it or not, one of them only has 3 GB while the other two are more around the tone of 60GB.  I am upgrading. 

• Well, I am an IT guy who also does small-business technical consulting and experiments a lot, spouse is college professor also into digital photography, so I'm not sure where we fit on the curve. . .

Primary storage: Linux/Samba PDC -- 420GB RAID 5, 72 GB RAID 1, call it ~ 500 GB

2 each 250GB Linux/Windows desktops, not full since not primary storage.

2 each 50GB laptops.

About another 250 GB on boxes for misc. projects that come and go.

That's over 1 TB.  My wife is right, we ARE geeks.

• My main machine has 60 GB primary and 160 GB data.  My wife's machine has 40 GB primary and 120 GB data.  My MythTV box has a single 250 GB drive.

For a grand total of 630 GB.

• All Dell at work, but at home I've got a Mac Pro with 1.6 TB of storage, plus 8 GB flash drive. I have cable TV input (a disk hog) and several copies of Windows XP/2003 in virtual environments for testing purposes. The machine is actually 4x faster than our main database server at work.

Like most people here probably, I need to get a better backup solution; thinking about this to consolidate my data: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html

• I can't really justify the amount of space I have at home by saying "I develop on several platforms", but I do love storage.  I also enjoy a rather large collection of asian media.

That said, I currently have:

• 2.2 TB on a single NAS
    • 400 GB on my BSD web server
    • 100 GB on my primary notebook
    • 20 GB of flash media for use in PDAs, cameras and other devices
    • 5.75 TB on DVD and CD archives (according to my disc indexing software)

Of course this doesn't include the stacks of software discs and the last five years worth of MSDN DVDs.

All told, I have about 80 Gig free on my HDD-based media with designs to add two more 750 Gig SATA drives to the NAS.

• Green Lantern, good to see you back and nice response. My wife and I lucked into a great walkin closet in our house. It's almost 10' x 14', but seems we still don't have enough storage set up. Too much junk on the floor.

Todd, thanks for the link. I'm thinking to retire my current desktop and add another drive and use it as the NAS. But I know we need a good backup solution. Right now I burn 2 DVDs of most stuff I'm worried about on a regular basis. Usually it's mail, photos, and writings.

I don't think I need quite this much storage, but part of it is not wanting to run out. I tried to archive all our photos a few years ago with CDs and realized I'd need like 12 CDs for a backup, so I went to DVDs. We shoot a lot of family photos, trying to capture those memories and usually every file is 2MB, so shooting 100 every couple weeks or month adds up.

• GBPVR (tivo) 120GB + 250 GB

Desktop 80 + 250GB

Server 40 GB + 160GB

Laptop 40 GB?

External HD 160GB

Computer that just died 40-70 GB

I'm over the TB bar!

• 2G USB key

60G Notebook

500G Desktop (250ATA + 2*120G Sata Raid 1)

2TB Media Center (8 * 250GB on 3ware raid 5 controller) + 250G ATA

Couple spare 250GB Sata in drawer.

• Keen to see if I make it into the TB league too! Let's see

20 GB + 80 GB in the old old desktop

8 GB in the new (to me) but really quite old desktop 😉

80 GB in the old laptop (+20 GB for the old drive, but I fear it is dead)

100 GB in the new laptop

3 GB compact flash for my SLR

1 GB SD for my compact camera

1 GB mini-SD for my phone

250 GB USB lacie for backups

about 10 DVD RAMs for my DVD recorder

256 MB USB key (getting desperate)...

Way off the mark, must buy some more disks...

Steven DavidsonDeveloper, Red Gate Software Ltd.

• Let's see...I have 4 comps at home.

Main comp has a pair of 80 GB HDs

Test server comp has one 40 GB and one 120 GB HDs

Old & tired college 486/Pentium overdrive computer has a 30 GB HD which I keep for nostalgic reasons

From the dark ages of computing (the 80s), an ancient Tandy 1000 with a 20 GB HD installed as a card   It STILL runs!

and I have one external 250 GB for backups

Plus a 5 GB MP3 player and a 500 GB TiVO

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply