Conditional Formatting with SSRS

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Conditional Formatting with SSRS

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Excellent summary and examples - especially appreciated the animation showing how to navigate the interface!

As a practical note, I recommend not leaning too heavily on color to provide meaning - color-blindness is more common than you think! Bold, italic, and underline provide more generally readable visual cues.

• Parker Smith wrote:

As a practical note, I recommend not leaning too heavily on color to provide meaning - color-blindness is more common than you think! Bold, italic, and underline provide more generally readable visual cues.

This is actually one reason why I demonstrated alternative things, like making "today's" entries bold.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Very well done article -  can get folks going down the right path with all the formatting options. Thanks for taking the time to write that!

Sue

• That reminds me of a precon I went to by @SqlLocks (Jonathan Stewart). One of his cousins is color blind, so he has been interested in it for a long time. One option he mentioned is to use a color palette that is color-blind friendly - as they'll be able to distinguish the colors in that case.

I remember working on something 20 years ago and having button text change colors from blue to green and one of my co-workers pointed out that he was blue-green colorblind... Can't say I'd even considered it a problem until he brought it to my attention.

• Great article

Discovering

Me.Value

though changed my life-very useful when applying the same condition across multiple cells

• Parker Smith wrote:

Excellent summary and examples - especially appreciated the animation showing how to navigate the interface!

I have a friend that has Green color blindness which is frequently accompanied by a bit of Red color blindness.  I was interested in what he saw or, rather, what he could not see.  It turns out that about 1 in 12 men have some form of colorblindness as do about 1 in 200 women.  Some of the more interesting facts are here...

https://www.color-blindness.com/

If you want to actually "see" what they see, have a look at a link for that page.

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

I have some work to do but I'm pasting the charts from some of my presentations in it and using it to help me pick better colors and even to combine markings with colors to make things more useful (and visually pleasant) for both those with and without the more common forms of color blindness.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply