Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Okay Roy, and everybody else. I don't blog and I'm not a twit... err tweeter... whatever... so here's my report. This is really a fantastic event and I can't imagine having a better experience. Highlights include getting to meet Gail, Grant, Jack, and Steve on Monday, getting to see the kilts live on Wednesday, and seeing Grant on stage being recognized for his contributions, being in the audience for excellent presentations by Grant and Gail, not to mention the pleasure of having breakfast with Gail this morning and watching her multitask by eating while fielding technical questions, checking forums, and telling me about South Africa. (I understand it is very far away. 😉 ) She may have also conquered the galaxy while I was buttering a croissant.

I'm also getting to have dinner with Jack tonight, and looking forward to that.

Secondary highlights: Getting to sit down at lunch at the same table with Andy Warren and (on a different day) Adam Machanic. Sitting in on a few presentations and realizing how high the level of expertise is at SSC. Meeting people from all over the world and finding things in common.

Oh yeah, the quality and quantity of presentations was awesome for the most part. The few that disappointed me I will not name. This was an outstanding event, which exceeded my expectations. I sincerely hope those of you who didn't make it this year will have an opportunity to do so in the future.

End of plug. I'll be back to the usual nonsense next week.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Thanks Bob. Having been to PASS in the past, I already knew what I was missing. It really sucks to not be able to go this year - really wanted to attend.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thought you guys might like this one: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Slightly-OverSQLd.aspx

• Allister Reid (11/6/2009)

Thought you guys might like this one: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Slightly-OverSQLd.aspx

Nice. Though personally I would have called the database to throw the exception 😀

• Thanks for the update Bob. Hopefully I can come next year for the PASS event. I am sure I will gain quiote a bit of knowledge coming for that meeting.

-Roy

• Paul White (11/6/2009)

Allister Reid (11/6/2009)

Thought you guys might like this one: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Slightly-OverSQLd.aspx

Nice. Though personally I would have called the database to throw the exception 😀

Did I read that right? He/She is using SQL to do date validation inside of C# programming? It boggles the mind, eh?

:w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Bob Hovious 24601 (11/5/2009)

She may have also conquered the galaxy while I was buttering a croissant.

Different strokes for different folks...:-D

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• temp in the server room was a bit too low, using the extra CPU cycles to heat the place up?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Ha! So how many lines of code per calorie?

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/6/2009)

Ha! So how many lines of code per calorie?

Wouldn't that depend on the type of processor?

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Well... you know... It Depends...

calories/line of code = ((proc load increase) + (io/sec)) * number of table scans

relative weakness of execution plan

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (11/6/2009)

Well... you know... It Depends...

calories/line of code = ((proc load increase) + (io/sec)) * number of table scans

I thought it was also proportional to the DBA's blood pressure.

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (11/6/2009)

Luke L (11/6/2009)

Well... you know... It Depends...

I thought it was also proportional to the DBA's blood pressure.

Nope I thought that was PC/Sec Pork Chops per second...

• So then we've finally found a definitive benefit of RBAR - environment control

• jcrawf02 (11/6/2009)

So then we've finally found a definitive benefit of RBAR - environment control

Jeff's gonna be pissed...

Though I suppose if you get it to raise the temps enough you could grill some nice pork chops on the outside of the case :w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 9,046 through 9,060 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply