Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Power BI is like Excel on steroids. Many times you can make a mess faster.

Although you can pull and join data from multiple sources, unless you control those sources, at some point things will change. And then you may be off to the races.

• How's everybody? Wishing a good 2022

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

How's everybody? Wishing a good 2022

Doing good, Jo.  Thanks for asking.

Same to you and yours.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Back at ya.

Mine has started good already.  I received a significant bonus, and was put on some kind of quarterly bonus plan moving forward.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Heh... mine has started off with a bit of a "well that sucks" factor.  Whole new time-keeping system where they want me to categorize virtually every aspect of what I do as a "hybrid" DBA.  They originally wanted me to do things like keep track of the time I spent on index maintenance by project/application/DB.  Allow me to introduce you to Cohn's law, if you don't already know what it is (and everyone in the world of IT inherently knows what it is, just not what it's called)...

https://www.just-one-liners.com/mrphyslaw/cohns-law/

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Thank you! I hope the same for you and yours.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Same to you and everyone here 🙂

For me, 2022 brings change, after 38 years in this job, it officially ends 31st March 2022 🙁

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Hope you are doing good, I? still standing, wish everyone a better or shall we say normalized next year.

😎

• David Burrows wrote:

Jo Pattyn wrote:

Same to you and everyone here 🙂

For me, 2022 brings change, after 38 years in this job, it officially ends 31st March 2022 🙁

Retiring or something different?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Casually reviewing jobs at the moment but will get more serious in new year and see what happens??

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I don't think you'll need it but good luck with whatever you go for.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Doing fine. Bracing for omikron impact. There is also some budget tightening, luckily most sql databases are now sql 2019 or azure

• We've got a new-ish director (been here almost a year), a new DBA manager, and two new DBAs which means a major work culture shift for our team. Especially as I'm the last of the "old guard". Corporate wants us to cut our costs with one hand, but is coming up with new initiatives on the other and we're already running as lean as we can.

So I'm seeing an interesting year ahead.

It's going to be my first Christmas without my dad too, so there's that too. I'm sure I'll muddle through. I hope.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• It's a big year for us next year because we're moving into AWS.  The initial migration will be like-for-like to maintain consistency but there's going to be the opportunity to move on to the Amazon products over time.  It's going to be an interesting project and will definitely give me plenty of chance to broaden my CV.

It's also true to say that the incentives to stay where I am are becoming fewer and fewer.  There's a growing feeling that it's time to move on.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... mine has started off with a bit of a "well that sucks" factor.  Whole new time-keeping system where they want me to categorize virtually every aspect of what I do as a "hybrid" DBA.  They originally wanted me to do things like keep track of the time I spent on index maintenance by project/application/DB.  Allow me to introduce you to Cohn's law, if you don't already know what it is (and everyone in the world of IT inherently knows what it is, just not what it's called)...

https://www.just-one-liners.com/mrphyslaw/cohns-law/

So true, wish those in HR or upper management could understand this

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,791 through 65,805 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply