Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

J Livingston SQL wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I am getting really annoyed with this "link to the post takes me to the second last page of the thread, not the actual post" issue.

yup  .... and the overall lack of speed on the site. 7 secs to refresh "active threads"....huh? after 3 years away from here, it seems that the number of questions are far fewer than they were...........  any ideas why?

Oooohhhh,.. don't get me started on the "new and improved" website.  Between a lot of the still broken links, the SQL formatter that double-spaces everything, and things like being taken to the second to the last page on this thread, stuff being rearranged when you quote a post, the lack of performance, the fact that external blog posts are counted for points, the fact that the authors for those same blogs posts are listed in the "authors" selection even though they've never written a thing for SQLServerCentral.com, and a shedload more "features" of the "new and improved" website just drive me nuts.

As far as the noticeably fewer questions than the "old days", you just have to wonder if the new SEO is actually working the way it should and how many people have been totally turned off by the "usability".  I know a fair number of people that have told me they left the site because of those issues and more.  I would have been one of them when the threw away all the testing I did when they were getting ready to do the migration except that I love what's left of the old community and some of the newer folks.

And then there are good folks like yourself that come back after a sabbatical for one reason or the other and I have to say "Awesome!  Welcome back, JL!  Don't let the new drab drapes, the sometimes tacky paint job, the bit of smell coming from the kitchen,  or the crooked chairs drive you away.  You've been missed!" 😀

Thanks for the "Welcome back" Jeff....appreciated.   I doubt that many potential new users of the site would stay around for very long...cos to be honest the site is beyond basic compared with many other forums (of any type of interest)....not sure if this is because software options have not been turned on or whether they just don't exist with this vendor.....for example when viewing a list of threads it would be very helpful to see when it was created.   Also, as a new site user, I would be very concerned about the lack of questions being asked...so very few about basic TSQL here nowadays  (lots on other sites though) In fact even QOTD has few TSQL q's it seems recently........is this site pushing to only attract the experienced dba rather than the accidental dba?

I posted about slow speeds 4½ years ago in spite of the reply at the time it seems that bugger all has been done (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/active-threads-could-be-better)

Redgate has grown to be a very successful company with a declared profit of 9.7M GBP in 2019 Fin Year....so it's not like they couldn't afford to sort many of the issues you and others have been mentioning for so long  .....I do wonder how far up the chain of command these issues have got......maybe somebody somewhere is too comfortable and doesn't want to change the status quo, who knows?

• J Livingston SQL wrote:

Thanks for the "Welcome back" Jeff....appreciated.   I doubt that many potential new users of the site would stay around for very long...cos to be honest the site is beyond basic compared with many other forums (of any type of interest)....not sure if this is because software options have not been turned on or whether they just don't exist with this vendor.....for example when viewing a list of threads it would be very helpful to see when it was created.   Also, as a new site user, I would be very concerned about the lack of questions being asked...so very few about basic TSQL here nowadays  (lots on other sites though) In fact even QOTD has few TSQL q's it seems recently........is this site pushing to only attract the experienced dba rather than the accidental dba?

I posted about slow speeds 4½ years ago in spite of the reply at the time it seems that bugger all has been done (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/active-threads-could-be-better)

Redgate has grown to be a very successful company with a declared profit of 9.7M GBP in 2019 Fin Year....so it's not like they couldn't afford to sort many of the issues you and others have been mentioning for so long  .....I do wonder how far up the chain of command these issues have got......maybe somebody somewhere is too comfortable and doesn't want to change the status quo, who knows?

Oh... you gave me an idea.  Let's tell them that fixing the problems on the site would be a clear demonstration of how "DevOps" (a word that they use and abuse to a fault) works and that they should document the story on SSC and Simple Talk to draw people to the "DevOps Related" products they have and watch it happen overnight.  I'm not sure they'd get it all right but it would happen and quickly. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

J Livingston SQL wrote:

Oh... you gave me an idea.  Let's tell them that fixing the problems on the site would be a clear demonstration of how "DevOps" (a word that they use and abuse to a fault) works and that they should document the story on SSC and Simple Talk to draw people to the "DevOps Related" products they have and watch it happen overnight.  I'm not sure they'd get it all right but it would happen and quickly. 😉

Add me to the list of people who gave up on this site after the last round of "updates" happened. The site is so buggy and so many things that make sense just don't work at all. I went to the dark side of SO for awhile but the attitude there is "I want the answer right now, I don't care if it is right". Sadly I have pretty much stopped posting anywhere. I am so grateful for the old SSC when there was a great atmosphere and lots of people having discussions about to make better solutions to questions. I also miss the discussions with many of the people around here who I feel like I know them, although the only person from here I have met in person is Steve.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

J Livingston SQL wrote:

Add me to the list of people who gave up on this site after the last round of "updates" happened. The site is so buggy and so many things that make sense just don't work at all. I went to the dark side of SO for awhile but the attitude there is "I want the answer right now, I don't care if it is right". Sadly I have pretty much stopped posting anywhere. I am so grateful for the old SSC when there was a great atmosphere and lots of people having discussions about to make better solutions to questions. I also miss the discussions with many of the people around here who I feel like I know them, although the only person from here I have met in person is Steve.

Oddly enough, those still happen.  They're just not as good as they used to be because <insert drum roll and cymbal crash here> a lot of good people like you left.  Like you, I've found that SO and almost every other SQL Forum sucks when it comes to such learning discussions and so I stick it out here because of the community, even though it has seriously dwindled (again, because good people like you left).

So, my personal and heartfelt request as a member of "the community that was", I'd love it if you and JLS (another recent revisitor) and a host of others that left because of the suck factor imparted by "site improvements) would get over all that (we were seriously spoiled by the old days) and make the realization that people make or break a site and that it's worth putting up with some of the "improvements" and decide to come back permanently.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Count me as one of the people that left because of the changes in the site. I keep coming to read the thread, but with the decline of questions and the amount of spam that hit the site some time ago, I just lost the habit on checking the Active Threads.

I found a place to help in SO in Spanish, were they need people that actually know SQL, as those questions go unanswered or, even worse, answered with  the worst possible solution.

This site helped me learn a lot, and it's part of the reasons I have a good steady job. I might be ready to give it another chance.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Sean Lange wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

J Livingston SQL wrote:

You are still the Kansas City area, correct? I should try to plan some extra time to stop a while on my next road trip to Tennessee/Virginia. I keep meaning to do that but then when it get close to travel time all I think about is the 16 hour drive to/from Tennessee (and the other 10 hour drive from Tennessee to/from Virginia).

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Sean Lange wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

J Livingston SQL wrote:

You are still the Kansas City area, correct? I should try to plan some extra time to stop a while on my next road trip to Tennessee/Virginia. I keep meaning to do that but then when it get close to travel time all I think about is the 16 hour drive to/from Tennessee (and the other 10 hour drive from Tennessee to/from Virginia).

I am still in the KC area. I know you aren't a drinker but I would be more than happy to meet up for some local bbq. I assume that trip must be to see your kids? Let me know next time you are making the journey and see if your schedule would allow a stop for lunch/dinner. There are lots of choices right off of I-70 we can go.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Count me as one of the people that left because of the changes in the site. I keep coming to read the thread, but with the decline of questions and the amount of spam that hit the site some time ago, I just lost the habit on checking the Active Threads.

I found a place to help in SO in Spanish, were they need people that actually know SQL, as those questions go unanswered or, even worse, answered with  the worst possible solution.

This site helped me learn a lot, and it's part of the reasons I have a good steady job. I might be ready to give it another chance.

Have you got a link for that category or group?  I don't speak Spanish but, if folks don't mind the errors of an online translator, it could be interesting to at least dip a toe in that water.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Count me as one of the people that left because of the changes in the site. I keep coming to read the thread, but with the decline of questions and the amount of spam that hit the site some time ago, I just lost the habit on checking the Active Threads.

Have you got a link for that category or group?  I don't speak Spanish but, if folks don't mind the errors of an online translator, it could be interesting to at least dip a toe in that water.

I'm not sure how you'd feel about it, because is just as SO and I'm trying to make an improvement. But here's the link I use

https://es.stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/sql+or+sql-server+or+tsql+sql-server-2008+sql-server-2012+sql-server-2014+sql-server-2008-r2+sql-server-2017+transact-sql

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • So, my personal and heartfelt request as a member of "the community that was", I'd love it if you and JLS (another recent revisitor) and a host of others that left because of the suck factor imparted by "site improvements) would get over all that (we were seriously spoiled by the old days) and make the realization that people make or break a site and that it's worth putting up with some of the "improvements" and decide to come back permanently.

Jeff -- happy to hang around, but without serious changes to the functionality of this forum, I feel we are flogging a dead horse.

unless this forum is revised to attract new questions from new sql entrants ..then it be an "old farts" forum  .. a lot of knowledge but no one that is interested.

It speaks volumes that so far there has been no reply from the admins et al to the recent comments....it isn't like there is a volume of posts to review!

• Not defending the admins at all, but as RedGate now own PASS and they have just announced the new conference, I guess the likes of Steve / Grant have all been side-lined to work on that rather than SSC, probably been told to make it work and not be a repeat of the recent issues with PASS at the tail end of last year.

But indeed the forum here and also over on Ask SSC need some serious work doing to them, the amount of spam and cr@p posts that are coming in thick and fast at the moment and no one proactively looking at it is a cause for concern.

Unsure what forum software is embedded into the site but it looks a lot like the old Telligent / Verint forum software I used to have to manage for a previous employer, that proved nothing but a nightmare for us and we totally ended up ripping it all out and putting something more streamlined in place with an in house written piece of software instead.  Buying off the shelf is not always the best method.

If you're fancying a change of pace the Slack community is forever increasing (https://aka.ms/sqlslack) although that is also again not without its limitations, as there's over 16k people in that community now, buying an extended workspace to keep longer history is a costly thing, so you do seem to get a few of the same questions over and over again as old chat disappears into the ether.

• Ant-Green wrote:

If you're fancying a change of pace the Slack community is forever increasing (https://aka.ms/sqlslack) although that is also again not without its limitations, as there's over 16k people in that community now, buying an extended workspace to keep longer history is a costly thing, so you do seem to get a few of the same questions over and over again as old chat disappears into the ether.

Thanks for this....what channels on Slack would you recommend other than #sqlhelp?

• Its whatever you want to get involved in to be fair.

Welcome and SQLHelp probably the two busiest channels.

BrentOzarUnlimited if you're ever in one of Brent's training classes / live streams as all chat is usually ran through that.

I try to keep mine lite and only be in a few channels or mute ones I dip in and out of periodically like PowerShellHelp as I don't do to much in PoSh but like to keep afloat, I stay away from Oracle as I'm not a Ora person, so yeah it's just whatever you are interested in really.

• I find myself wondering how many people who frequent this website have gotten the dreaded bug and are unable to return for ... various reasons. I hope everyone is doing well.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I new they were moving the Microsoft Feedback site from "user voice" to something else but all of my feedback links now lead to the following stupidity...

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/

Clicing on the "Learn More" link take you to an even more frustrating page and clicking on the only active link in that wonder of wonders takes me to a even more aggravating page.

Anyone know a new link to what used to be feedback or is that all gone now or ???

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,671 through 65,685 (of 66,573 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply