Are the posted questions getting worse?

• For personal finance a really critical thing to do is make sure you get your statements when they are expected and you review and file a report if there were any unknown transactions.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Apologies in advance for the rant but I'm fed up with developers who go to great lengths to re-invent the wheel simply because they don't know how to do something the proper way. They then leave and you pick up the mess.

I'm looking at SSIS packages with a great raft of elaborate error handling using JSON and new database tables, written because someone believed and actually told me that they didn't use sysssislog because you can't write to it yourself from a script or elsewhere in a package. I did say "Rubbish" at the time but as the newbie listening to a handover, I couldn't elaborate.

It results in one package for each dataflow and then a controlling package run by a SQL Agent job whereas the whole lot could be one package with half a dozen dataflows. The overheads are awful.

And this was supposed to be a hot shot developer who could do all the API call stuff in SSIS to get data! Yes and obfuscate it with so much bloat that it's a struggle to follow it.

So my interview question of the day would be - "tell me about logging in SSIS" or "how do you write to the log table in SSIS?"

And if they don't mention using the log procedure from a script (me.log(...) or dts.log(...)) they don't get through!

Thanks for being a place to let off steam!

• Don't forget if you use Sprint for cell phone service, you're now T-Mobile and need to update stuff.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• P Jones wrote:

So my interview question of the day would be - "tell me about logging in SSIS" or "how do you write to the log table in SSIS?" And if they don't mention using the log procedure from a script (me.log(...) or dts.log(...)) they don't get through!

I actually don't use the log procedure. In fact, if I had heard about it prior to this comment, I don't remember it.

I'll have to look into it now.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• P Jones wrote:

So my interview question of the day would be - "tell me about logging in SSIS" or "how do you write to the log table in SSIS?" And if they don't mention using the log procedure from a script (me.log(...) or dts.log(...)) they don't get through!

My answer: I have no idea. I let actually smart people do that SSIS stuff.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• P Jones wrote:

Apologies in advance for the rant but I'm fed up with developers who go to great lengths to re-invent the wheel simply because they don't know how to do something the proper way. They then leave and you pick up the mess.

I'm looking at SSIS packages with a great raft of elaborate error handling using JSON and new database tables, written because someone believed and actually told me that they didn't use sysssislog because ...

My answer would be "call Andy Leonard or Tim Mitchell and ask them."

• P Jones wrote:

Apologies in advance for the rant but I'm fed up with developers who go to great lengths to re-invent the wheel simply because they don't know how to do something the proper way. They then leave and you pick up the mess.

No need to apologize to me.  I totally agree and will lend a rousing "PREACH IT BROTHER!"

Short story... I had a developer take me to the boss because I wouldn't deploy his CLR.  He didn't give me time to explain why.  When we got in front of the boss, I explained  that the developer hadn't looked at the SQL documentation nor sought any advice on how to do a "modulo" in SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It's Friday. I've been overwhelmed for several days and now I'm just confused. Help here appreciated:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/mysterious-ability-to-drop-create-stored-procedures 

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

It's Friday. I've been overwhelmed for several days and now I'm just confused. Help here appreciated:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/mysterious-ability-to-drop-create-stored-procedures 

It's late, so I might be missing something here.  Are you saying that a particular user in the group was able to drop/create a stored procedure?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

It's Friday. I've been overwhelmed for several days and now I'm just confused. Help here appreciated:

It's late, so I might be missing something here.  Are you saying that a particular user in the group was able to drop/create a stored procedure?

At least two people are, which tells me it might be the entire group. I just can't find where that permission is hiding. And I don't see anything nested (I.E., where this group might be a member of another group with those permissions).

• I am getting really annoyed with this "link to the post takes me to the second last page of the thread, not the actual post" issue.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I am getting really annoyed with this "link to the post takes me to the second last page of the thread, not the actual post" issue.

yup  .... and the overall lack of speed on the site.

7 secs to refresh "active threads"....huh?

after 3 years away from here, it seems that the number of questions are far fewer than they were...........  any ideas why?

• J Livingston SQL wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I am getting really annoyed with this "link to the post takes me to the second last page of the thread, not the actual post" issue.

yup  .... and the overall lack of speed on the site. 7 secs to refresh "active threads"....huh? after 3 years away from here, it seems that the number of questions are far fewer than they were...........  any ideas why?

Oooohhhh,.. don't get me started on the "new and improved" website.  Between a lot of the still broken links, the SQL formatter that double-spaces everything, and things like being taken to the second to the last page on this thread, stuff being rearranged when you quote a post, the lack of performance, the fact that external blog posts are counted for points, the fact that the authors for those same blogs posts are listed in the "authors" selection even though they've never written a thing for SQLServerCentral.com, and a shedload more "features" of the "new and improved" website just drive me nuts.

As far as the noticeably fewer questions than the "old days", you just have to wonder if the new SEO is actually working the way it should and how many people have been totally turned off by the "usability".  I know a fair number of people that have told me they left the site because of those issues and more.  I would have been one of them when the threw away all the testing I did when they were getting ready to do the migration except that I love what's left of the old community and some of the newer folks.

And then there are good folks like yourself that come back after a sabbatical for one reason or the other and I have to say "Awesome!  Welcome back, JL!  Don't let the new drab drapes, the sometimes tacky paint job, the bit of smell coming from the kitchen,  or the crooked chairs drive you away.  You've been missed!" 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

At least two people are, which tells me it might be the entire group. I just can't find where that permission is hiding. And I don't see anything nested (I.E., where this group might be a member of another group with those permissions).

Have you tried xp_LoginInfo 'user name here', 'ALL'  (note: "user name" is my name for it... MS calls it "Account Name" in the documentation and it should be in the form of domainname\account name). If I worked in a domain of "ABC", you need to use 'ABC\JModen' for the account name if my windows login name were JModen.

That'll show you all the privs for the user included the "chained" sources from Active Directory.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• What the heck just happened with our profiles?  I just did windows updates, which actually logged me off of SQLServerCentral and when I logged back in and checked my profile, all of my subscriptions are gone and "Followers" and "Following" seem to have disappeared.  Is anyone else having the same issues?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,656 through 65,670 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply