Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • I am SOOOOOOO confused. Help appreciated here:  https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/ssis-package-succeeds-but-fails

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

     

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

  • Didn't see this in time to join. I would have missed too much coming in on the tail end.

     

  • Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

  • David Burrows wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    The web browser I have named "Dull Edge" didn't let me view it:

    "The connection for this site is not secure

    http://www.meetup.com sent an invalid response.

     

    Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

    ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

    "

    could be our lame IT configuration for all I know. We're on the "cutting edge", that is, everytime I go to work I get 998 cuts.

    Fortunately not 1000, so I can return to work another day.

     

  • David Burrows wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    I wish they have one. I just saw the post.

    Kevin Feasel posted the first part here about GUIDs, but haven't uploaded the second one.

    Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

    How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

    David Burrows wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    I wish they have one. I just saw the post.

    Kevin Feasel posted the first part here about GUIDs, but haven't uploaded the second one.

    If you haven't see this, it's worth the wait for Kevin to post it. Jeff's got all kinds of good stuff in there. MS made decisions going back to SQL 2005...not for the better. This will change the way you look at LOBs. I'd highly recommend this one to anyone who's interested in how indexes really work.

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Ed Wagner.
  • Ed Wagner wrote:

    Luis Cazares wrote:

    David Burrows wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    I wish they have one. I just saw the post.

    Kevin Feasel posted the first part here about GUIDs, but haven't uploaded the second one.

    If you haven't see this, it's worth the wait for Kevin to post it. Jeff's got all kinds of good stuff in there. MS made decisions going back to SQL 2005...not for the better. This will change the way you look at LOBs. I'd highly recommend this one to anyone who's interested in how indexes really work.

    I second this (that's why I posted the link) it's great stuff.

    Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

    How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Listening to Jeff's Black Arts Indexing part one and had to laugh out loud to his answer to a question about longest discussions on ssc. The answer was the Banker's Round discussions, of which I was also a participant.

     

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Lynn Pettis.
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Luis Cazares wrote:

    David Burrows wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    I normally don't do self-advertisement but I'm giving a presentation tonight at 6PM EDST online on an interesting subject.  Here's the link to the Meetup and the abstract is also there.

    https://www.meetup.com/tripass/events/277991550

    Damn missed it (would be 11PM here), do you have a recording?

    I wish they have one. I just saw the post.

    Kevin Feasel posted the first part here about GUIDs, but haven't uploaded the second one.

    If you haven't see this, it's worth the wait for Kevin to post it. Jeff's got all kinds of good stuff in there. MS made decisions going back to SQL 2005...not for the better. This will change the way you look at LOBs. I'd highly recommend this one to anyone who's interested in how indexes really work.

    I second this (that's why I posted the link) it's great stuff.

    Heh... thanks guys.  I can't afford to pay you for that great PR. 😀

    I'm doing the first one (it's actually old parts 1 and 2 combined which is why I call it "1-2" in the title) on Tuesday, May 25th on GroupBy.org.  My session missed public vote by "1" and Kevin Hill (DallasDBAs) gave up his paid sponsor slot so I could present this.  Serious props to Kevin and, yeah... I've added  the DallasDBAs logo to all page-types in the presentation so it shows up everywhere.

    The "1-2" session took 2 hours and 23 minutes on Kevin Feasel's "SHOPTALK".  GroupBy has a limit of 75 minutes not including 15 minutes for questions.  I've made it so I "flash" some of the screens (as read these on your own) instead of touching on every point and have gotten down to 64 minutes during rehearsal.  Heh... wish me luck... I'm going to need it. 😀

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

  • Hey Jeff, can you post the presentation and resources for the "The 'Secret' to High Performance Code - High Performance Test Data" presentation you did last year for the SQL Friday #17?

     

  • You can get it from the following SQL Friday link, Lynn.

    https://sqlfriday.net/past-sql-friday-sessions/sql-friday-17-jeff-moden-on-the-secret-to-high-performance-code-high-performance-test-data/

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

  •  

    Thank you.  I didn't see a link with the video I watched today.  There was a link with the other video to which I left in a comment above.

     

  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

    Thoughts this crew might like this:

    "Do not assume that index maintenance will always noticeably improve your workload."

    Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

    Thoughts this crew might like this:

    "Do not assume that index maintenance will always noticeably improve your workload."

    That's a good start.  Unfortunately, most of the world will never read that.  They only see what's on the page for xxxx and go along with the unfortunate wording there that has spawned the world-wide index sickness known as a "Best Practice".

    MS also doesn't help because they say things like the following on the same page you cited...

    Reorganizing also compacts index pages to make page density equal to the fill factor of the index.

    The first par of that is absolutely true.  The second part is absolutely false because REORGANIZE cannot and will not make additional pages so that page density can be REDUCED to the Fill Factor.  Their intent was good but their wording sucks.  I'm actually setting up to do a bunch of Pull Requests on a lot of index related documentation to fix it all so that people will no longer be mislead by correct-sounding but incorrectly worded statements... especially about that bloody "Best Practice" that even the author never intended as a "Best Practice".

     

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 65,476 through 65,490 (of 65,577 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply