Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

So, I interview today for a potential position and at the end of the interview I am offered the position. I start work with the new company on November 16th. In addition, I am getting nice pay raise with the move to the new company. One door closes and another door opens.

Congratulations Lynn, that's great news. I appreciate how hard it is to even try and find work in the current climate, so it's wonderful news that you've already found work and that you start in the near future. I hope you enjoy the time off in the mean time. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Is this person in way over their head?  It seems like he was dumped in a closet and given orders to find out everything.  He's been pretty prolific with posts.  And most of them are scary.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/comparing-consecutive-datetime-rows#new-post

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Is this person in way over their head?  It seems like he was dumped in a closet and given orders to find out everything.  He's been pretty prolific with posts.  And most of them are scary.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/comparing-consecutive-datetime-rows#new-post

Seems like, from their profile, that the questions are all over the place; from basic functionality like how to use a Case statement CASE expression or how to find out what builds of SQL Server there are (a simple Google), to Backup maintenance and getting database sizes around a CMS.

Personally, I'd suggest that either the account is being shared by multiple people, they are selling themselves as something they are not, or they are an "accidental dba" (but I would expect them to be more open about that if so).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Michael L John wrote:

Is this person in way over their head?  It seems like he was dumped in a closet and given orders to find out everything.  He's been pretty prolific with posts.  And most of them are scary.

They sure do seem over their heads, but I'm really unclear as to why & how. All we can do is try to help. And yes, people do get tossed into the deep end on this stuff. That's how I started as a DBA. Anyone who has gone through formal training & mentorship, you were lucky. Some of us were simply shoved into the fire and told to put it out. Great learning experience, but not a lot of fun at the time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Just came back from that post.. seems to qualify as a check-valve, as well.  You know how well that kind of attitude used to work on the boats especially where non-quals and "delinquents" looking for sigs was concerned.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• My goal is to come up with questions

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

My goal is to come up with questions

Weird, the message above is not the message in the email notification which is this:

My new goal is to come up with the best questions.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Weird, the message above is not the message in the email notification which is this:

My new goal is to come up with the best questions.

You get the original reply in the email.  If the OP changes it, you don't see the change in another email.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

You get the original reply in the email.  If the OP changes it, you don't see the change in another email.

Which is quite handy on those occasions where the OP edits their original post along the lines of

Never mind. I managed to resolve this issue.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• For those familiar with TDE, I could use a hand over here: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/tde-drama

I did something stupid. I'm just not sure how to unwind it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Weird, the message above is not the message in the email notification...

Ha, yes I changed it a bunch of times.  It doesn't seem possible to judge whether or not someone's own questions are "good" or not.

After answering SQL questions for a while I'm feeling burned out.  I started on Stack Overflow in August and at first the points chase was thrilling.  I answered 328 questions in 2.5 months.  But along the way I started to notice patterns.  Not everything is what it seems on that site.  Imo nothing is what it seems on that site at least in the SQL tags.  What to do about it?  Idk.  If this sounds mysterious then I would advise anyone interested to go find out for themselves.  Someday maybe I'll revisit SO but for now I'm just sick of it.

Having questions means learning something new.  For a while I've wanted to go through Solomon Rutsky's SQL CLR stairway series.  That seems like a more fruitful way to spend time and enjoy my SQL experience 🙂

Congrats on the new position!!  It sounds wonderful

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Someday maybe I'll revisit SO but for now I'm just sick of it.

It's funny... every once in a while, I go back for a look-see... I'm quickly reminded as to why I chose to be an infrequent participant by the questions being asked, the ignorant/arrogant comments, and some really bad answers.  There's the occasional gem to be found but, for the most part, it's a well paved on-ramp to a dirt road with potholes and errant bullets flying around.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• If I understand SO correctly, all they want is an answer, not necessarily the best answer.  Also, don't try and have a discussion as they will shut you down.

• I must admit, I tire of seeing the same questions on SO day in day out at times, along with the lack of people that have heard of a search engine.

Now, perhaps someone can help me. I have a database with fields, and one field has a value of "eggs, bacon, sausage", how do I get this to have 1 line for each value in the field?

/sarcasm

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

I must admit, I tire of seeing the same questions on SO day in day out at times, along with the lack of people that have heard of a search engine.

Now, perhaps someone can help me. I have a database with fields, and one field has a value of "eggs, bacon, sausage", how do I get this to have 1 line for each value in the field?

/sarcasm

I almost started to answer this until I saw the /sarcasm tag you included.  Of course I have been up all night since I was sleeping on and off all day yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,221 through 65,235 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply