Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Labor Day probably makes sense. Easier to put this out there and then change later, than keep extending it.

No update from RG, but quite a few people are thinking we may go through all of 2020. We had a survey this week asking if people would WFH for the rest of the year. Most of my colleagues were in favor.

I am not. I want to go see people, at least a bit.

We have a mandatory department-wide Teams meeting every morning.  It's mostly a complete waste of 15 minutes with some rare exceptions.  That's followed a mandatory morning scrum.  Good useful 15 minutes.  That's about all I need (heh... I mean all I can stand) for "human" contact.  Our team also has an optional "lunch meeting" on Friday.  That's ok... some pretty good ideas come out of that and well as some interesting stuff that people are doing.

Other than that, though, I'm pretty much digging this WFH stuff.  If I could get them to lighten up on the morning meetings, that would be good because, a lot of times, I'm sending my last email at 2 or 3 in the morning because I need to do a lot of the stuff I do after hours or on weekends.

So, does this mean you understand why I was looking for remote positions in the past?

I'm pretty sure I understood it back then, Lynn.  But it took a bloody pandemic to get my employer to understand it. 😀  It think that's true with a lot of companies.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

The U.S. Congress decided (wisely for once) that they wanted people to want to stay home without worrying about the bills. So they authorized an extra $600.00 per (I think) unemployment check to keep people self-isolating during the pandemic.

Of course, the Republicans in power (to separate them from the Republicans who got kicked out for being sensible people) promptly decried this saying people wouldn't want to go back to their jobs (which was the point because PANDEMIC) and are now trying to undermine it by telling people they can't get unemployment if they are offered a job and refuse it due to being worried about getting sick.

Which makes absolute sense if one is a sadist and wants to make money off the suffering of those in or near poverty, and none at all for those who actually have empathy.

SET @RANT = OFF;

I understand the rant, however, without the pandemic refusing a job while get unemployment was reason to lose unemployment.

"It Depends".  IIRC, several states, including Michigan, state that you don't have to take a job that is seriously (and I do mean seriously) below what you used to make.  For an example, someone that has good skills in IT wouldn't be required to accept a minimum wage job.  It's a bit of a touchy situation but you can refuse a job without losing unemployment under certain non-health related situations.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

The U.S. Congress decided (wisely for once) that they wanted people to want to stay home without worrying about the bills. So they authorized an extra $600.00 per (I think) unemployment check to keep people self-isolating during the pandemic.

Of course, the Republicans in power (to separate them from the Republicans who got kicked out for being sensible people) promptly decried this saying people wouldn't want to go back to their jobs (which was the point because PANDEMIC) and are now trying to undermine it by telling people they can't get unemployment if they are offered a job and refuse it due to being worried about getting sick.

Which makes absolute sense if one is a sadist and wants to make money off the suffering of those in or near poverty, and none at all for those who actually have empathy.

SET @RANT = OFF;

I understand the rant, however, without the pandemic refusing a job while get unemployment was reason to lose unemployment.

"It Depends".  IIRC, several states, including Michigan, state that you don't have to take a job that is seriously (and I do mean seriously) below what you used to make.  For an example, someone that has good skills in IT wouldn't be required to accept a minimum wage job.  It's a bit of a touchy situation but you can refuse a job without losing unemployment under certain non-health related situations.

IIRC Colorado is like that as well regarding pay, but I also think they encouraged people to take those jobs to extend their unemployment benefits.  It has been about 26 years since I have had to apply and use unemployment benefits.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

So yesterday we got a bit of good/bad news...

Good, in that the wife has been called back to work and goes back on Tuesday.

Bad, in that the wife got called back to work and will be making LESS per week than she was getting from unemployment, with the extra $600/wk that the gov tacked on.

But frankly, I'm glad she's going back and so is she, in part because having a 40-hr/wk job is a much less stressful source of income than unemployment (especially when you add in the "will she FIND a job when the lockdowns end or when the unemployment runs out?")

How is it that your wife will be making less per week when she goes back to work?

The government only makes up 80% of her salary with the additional 20% being optional from her employer?

When she returns to work, she won't get that extra $600.00 authorized by Congress. Which means she'll be making less money to expose herself to the virus.

Bingo!

Her regular pay was down low enough that the unemployment, with taxes taken out, was still quite close to what she was bringing home before after taxes.  It kind of helped in that she also wasn't paying for her insurance / 401k out of unemployment, although she's going to end up having the cost of her coverage for the weeks she DIDN'T work taken out.  We're doing that in one hit.

• drew.allen wrote:

Yesterday my work announced that they were extending the work from home policy at least through Labor Day.  With me living in one state and working in another, that certainly makes it easier to navigate the different timetables.

Drew

Ugh.  I *wish* my employer would just pick a date and say "regardless of the state guidelines, we're re-opening the office on this day."  Instead, they're going by the guidelines our state gov is setting, which, if you've been following the news, keep getting pushed back...

A couple weeks ago, we were thinking we'd be going back to the office (partial staff, with the remainder still WFH,) on June 1.

Now, it's June 15...

Knowing the way our state Governor has been handling this, next week it'll be June 22...

Then June 29...

Then sometime in July...

Aggravating and makes it hard to adequately plan things (like, do I need to get gas yet?)

And frankly...

I want to start seeing people who AREN'T the wife again.  Even my aggravating co-workers!

• jasona.work wrote:

drew.allen wrote:

Yesterday my work announced that they were extending the work from home policy at least through Labor Day.  With me living in one state and working in another, that certainly makes it easier to navigate the different timetables.

Drew

Ugh.  I *wish* my employer would just pick a date and say "regardless of the state guidelines, we're re-opening the office on this day."  Instead, they're going by the guidelines our state gov is setting, which, if you've been following the news, keep getting pushed back...

A couple weeks ago, we were thinking we'd be going back to the office (partial staff, with the remainder still WFH,) on June 1.

Now, it's June 15...

Knowing the way our state Governor has been handling this, next week it'll be June 22...

Then June 29...

Then sometime in July...

Aggravating and makes it hard to adequately plan things (like, do I need to get gas yet?)

And frankly...

I want to start seeing people who AREN'T the wife again.  Even my aggravating co-workers!

Oh, come on, Jason. Our "wonderful" :rolleyes :vomit governor has only changed the date five times now. The actions have nothing to do with the actual data.  BTW, there's yet another press conference planned for today at 3:00. 🙁

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  Ed Wagner.
  • jasona.work wrote:

drew.allen wrote:

Drew

Now, it's June 15...

Then June 29...

Then sometime in July...

And frankly...

Benefit of being divorced, no wife to look at.  I do have my youngest daughter at home for the next 6 months since her first big girl job got pushed back to January 2021.  Not a bad thing, she is actually getting to do the internship with the FBI she was supposed to do last summer this summer since she didn't get the opportunity last summer because her clearance wasn't favorably adjudicated until a month ago.  And she gets to do it here instead of having to pack up and move to Virginia and live with her sister for 2 months then move back here.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Oh, come on, Jason. Our "wonderful" :rolleyes :vomit governor has only changed the date five times now. The actions have nothing to do with the actual data.  BTW, there's yet another press conference planned for today at 3:00. 🙁

Hmm, and it's interesting because listening to the radio right now, it sounds like she might be announcing the whole state gets to unlock more this weekend...

Maybe the "unlock the state" crowd should've tried a little rioting.

OK, I'd like to apologize for getting political here.

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Not a bad thing, she is actually getting to do the internship with the FBI she was supposed to do last summer this summer since she didn't get the opportunity last summer because her clearance wasn't favorably adjudicated until a month ago.  And she gets to do it here instead of having to pack up and move to Virginia and live with her sister for 2 months then move back here.

Hmm, think maybe she could find my entry in NICS and tweak it to allow me to get full auto firearms without a background check?

/KIDDING!

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

SET @RANT = OFF;

When I was getting unemployment it didn't seem to be an issue as I seem to remember you were only required to apply to x number of jobs per time period (the exact rate escapes me right now), so the key was to just apply to jobs you were willing to accept.

The job I finally got was probably more job than I deserved honestly LOL

• The employment and unemployment situation is fouled up.  Go figure.

My daughter in law is actually taking home more money now than when she works because of the 600.00 in extra benefits.  She is supposed to go back to work next week.

Another friend can go back to work, but the day care did not re-open until today, and because of the additional precautions they have to take, the day care had a lottery to see who get's in and who doesn't.  She lost.  So, she has no day care.  She lives in a pretty rural area, so the number of day care centers available is limited, and none of them have openings.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Lordy... there's a "bot" running with the handle of "Stanley" and it's posting spam every 5 minutes.  Between that and another bot that was active only for a while, I'll bet I've deleted 40 or more spams.  Someone should give me the privs to lock the buggers out. (hint).

Speaking of machine learning... the anti-spam bot on this site needs a we bit of help.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Lordy... there's a "bot" running with the handle of "Stanley" and it's posting spam every 5 minutes.  Between that and another bot that was active only for a while, I'll bet I've deleted 40 or more spams.  Someone should give me the privs to lock the buggers out. (hint).

Speaking of machine learning... the anti-spam bot on this site needs a we bit of help.

either give privs to some of the hardcore people here or implement a rule on the site whereby any user that gets more than X posts reported gets blocked from posting.

last 12 hours were quite bad on spam

• Stanley bot - 1 spam post every 5 min. ARGHH!!

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Stanley bot - 1 spam post every 5 min. ARGHH!!

jameishwartions is competing with them now too. >_<

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I think I got rid of Stanley.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 64,921 through 64,935 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply