Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'd be buying radio gear, but Mrs. Scary has me cut off.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• My problem is that I start forgetting what day it is.  The only reason I know this is Sunday is that it is Mothers Day.

• Also, I have actually been working from home since October 2019.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

My problem is that I start forgetting what day it is.  The only reason I know this is Sunday is that it is Mothers Day.

Been running into that problem too...

I'll wake up for work on Wednesday or Thursday and spend a couple minutes trying to remember which day of the week it is...

I think that's more because, working from home, your workplace never really changes, you don't get that 30-45-60+ minute drive in to work to get your brain really started...

• I can't remember most days which day it is. Mostly because I think it doesn't matter and then I don't pay attention. I check the display in my monitor (from Rainmeter) to see the day of week more than once most days.

Hard to complain about being shut in here on the ranch. We have lots of space, but the dull sameness is wearing. I've been slowly tackling things that need to get done, despite not having energy. I've been also trying to build a few things. I may actually add some LED lights to a frame for video calls. It's easier to buy a ring light, but the idea of trying to put something together actually generates a slight bit of enthusiasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3NxYPxRd4

If it works, might tackle this: https://flippedlearning.org/how_to/how-to-make-a-lightboard-for-less-than-100/

• jasona.work wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

My problem is that I start forgetting what day it is.  The only reason I know this is Sunday is that it is Mothers Day.

I'll wake up for work on Wednesday or Thursday and spend a couple minutes trying to remember which day of the week it is...

I think that's more because, working from home, your workplace never really changes, you don't get that 30-45-60+ minute drive in to work to get your brain really started...

Yup - I have the same problem.  I think a lot of people do for the exact reason you specify.  I've been WFH almost exclusively since late last year and I find I'm far more productive. I've also become accustomed to knowing what day it is, but with the whole family home all the time now, the "what day is it again?" syndrome has returned.  This too shall pass.

One thing I definitely DO NOT miss is that rotten commute. Yours was undoubtedly worse than mine, as I take Telegraph and I think you'd take I-696 :(.  I get back over an hour a day without losing anything. I've also gotten 2 months out of a full tank of gas and haven't put on the miles that I usually do. The coffee's better at home, as is the food. 🙂

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I can't remember most days which day it is. Mostly because I think it doesn't matter and then I don't pay attention. I check the display in my monitor (from Rainmeter) to see the day of week more than once most days.

Hard to complain about being shut in here on the ranch. We have lots of space, but the dull sameness is wearing. I've been slowly tackling things that need to get done, despite not having energy. I've been also trying to build a few things. I may actually add some LED lights to a frame for video calls. It's easier to buy a ring light, but the idea of trying to put something together actually generates a slight bit of enthusiasm.

If it works, might tackle this: https://flippedlearning.org/how_to/how-to-make-a-lightboard-for-less-than-100/

You can mouse over the system tray to display the day, or look at your phone. 😉

We went to Home Depot over the weekend to try to get an order we placed 9 days ago. It was supposed to have a 1 to 2 day pickup notification, but it never arrived. When we went to pick it up, it took over 2 hours for them to "pick" 12 2x4s, only to come back and say they didn't have 15 1x6s we had ordered. They had 10 employees standing around talking and the line outside was 1/3 the way down the store.  I guess "customer service" has taken on a whole new meaning nowadays. I hope this is local to the store and that other stores are better, but people remember stuff like this.

I stopped by Lowe's yesterday, on whim while on the way to buy food.  I had no waiting in line, picked out the 1x6s we needed and checked out with no line. They were even cheaper than Home Depot.  I guess I know where I'll be going next time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Ed Wagner.
  • Ed Wagner wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Yup - I have the same problem.  I think a lot of people do for the exact reason you specify.  I've been WFH almost exclusively since late last year and I find I'm far more productive. I've also become accustomed to knowing what day it is, but with the whole family home all the time now, the "what day is it again?" syndrome has returned.  This too shall pass.

One thing I definitely DO NOT miss is that rotten commute. Yours was undoubtedly worse than mine, as I take Telegraph and I think you'd take I-696 :(.  I get back over an hour a day without losing anything. I've also gotten 2 months out of a full tank of gas and haven't put on the miles that I usually do. The coffee's better at home, as is the food. 🙂

My commute didn't take too much of a hit, unless I ran into that once in a while why the heck aren't we moving on Garden of the Gods syndrome which could take 30 minutes or so..  My commute went from under 10 minutes to to about 30 seconds, the time it takes to walk into the den.

• impacts to me have been that I can't sit outside on the deck anymore, because the neighbor now sits on *his* deck and I have to hear his conference calls lol. In some ways it's much more peaceful outside (less traffic noise and less noise from the mall nearby) but in more people in their yards!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I can't remember most days which day it is. Mostly because I think it doesn't matter and then I don't pay attention. I check the display in my monitor (from Rainmeter) to see the day of week more than once most days.

We went to Home Depot over the weekend to try to get an order we placed 9 days ago. It was supposed to have a 1 to 2 day pickup notification, but it never arrived. When we went to pick it up, it took over 2 hours for them to "pick" 12 2x4s, only to come back and say they didn't have 15 1x6s we had ordered. They had 10 employees standing around talking and the line outside was 1/3 the way down the store.  I guess "customer service" has taken on a whole new meaning nowadays. I hope this is local to the store and that other stores are better, but people remember stuff like this.

I stopped by Lowe's yesterday, on whim while on the way to buy food.  I had no waiting in line, picked out the 1x6s we needed and checked out with no line. They were even cheaper than Home Depot.  I guess I know where I'll be going next time.

You missed the perfect opportunity for a pun ... "and, Lowe and behold, I had no waiting in line". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

You missed the perfect opportunity for a pun ... "and, Lowe and behold, I had no waiting in line". 😀

Buy local.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jasona.work wrote:

Well, I *know* this enforced isolation is starting to get to me...

I keep finding myself starting to "retail therapy" on stuff I don't really need (as of this morning, I was contemplating putting RGB lighting in my home PC...  BLINKING LIGHTS for cryin' out loud that I'd probably leave off anyways!)

Been thinking about also getting a planer for the woodworking I do, although that's even a hard sell for myself as I don't do a lot of said woodworking.  Plus I've heard they're ridiculously loud and it'd be in the basement...

Anyone else running into this?

I don't do nearly as much woodworking these days and I did a few years ago...and not as much as I should be doing. I have combination joiner/planer. It is loud but no worse than a chop saw or table saw. I would hope that in the basement you have dust collection going on also so the volume is already pretty high. I had my shop in the basement at our last house but in the garage for the last 10+ years. I honestly preferred the basement as the temperature was a lot more consistent and I had four walls instead of two in the garage. But I do love the crazy high ceiling in the garage and less dust in the house.

But my next "honey do" is to make a gaming table for the game room I just finished in the basement. We are avid board gamers and have a whole section of the basement dedicated to our hobby now. I can post pics if anybody is interested.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ed Wagner wrote:

I stopped going to HD over 15 years ago (well, except for those rare things that Lowes doesn't have and HD does) for this exact reason... lack of customer service. It also takes almost an hour to get to HD, and only 30 minutes to Lowes.

Lowes also has dedicated parking for Veterans. It's nice to get that "you're special" feeling while you're still in the parking lot.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• jasona.work wrote:

I keep finding myself starting to "retail therapy" on stuff I don't really need (as of this morning, I was contemplating putting RGB lighting in my home PC...  BLINKING LIGHTS for cryin' out loud that I'd probably leave off anyways!)

Been thinking about also getting a planer for the woodworking I do, although that's even a hard sell for myself as I don't do a lot of said woodworking.  Plus I've heard they're ridiculously loud and it'd be in the basement...

Anyone else running into this?

My planer is not significantly louder than anything else.  If you are running pine boards, as an example, it's not so loud.  It does go up in decibels if you are running a bunch of hardwoods.

The bigger issue is the volume of sawdust.  That thing creates a lot of dust.   I do not have a big dust collection set up.  I just rig it to the shop vac.  But that fills up quickly if I have a lot to do.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jasona.work wrote:

I keep finding myself starting to "retail therapy" on stuff I don't really need (as of this morning, I was contemplating putting RGB lighting in my home PC...  BLINKING LIGHTS for cryin' out loud that I'd probably leave off anyways!)..

heh-heh, yep, I did that by buying a new GeForce GTX 1660 TI video card for my home computer.  Its lights don't blink though, it smoothly fades from one color to the next through the rainbow... it's mesmerizing!

At least while I'm working and sleeping I'm contributing those fancy GPU cores to the Folding@Home project:

https://foldingathome.org/

Viewing 15 posts - 64,846 through 64,860 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply