Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

LOL, the grocers have been crazy. I'll need to go get some supplies Sat or Sun, but might go really early or late to limit contact.

We're going to lay low. Wanted to go skiing this week or next, but likely thinking to skip and hang here.

Took me 3 days and 4 trips to a supermarket to buy Toilet Paper... I honestly thought I was going to have to "borrow" (aka Steal) some from work. Still not been able to buy any frozen mince or dried pasta, and a few other bits I'm running low on. I use normally a lot of the things people are panic buying as I don't live with anyone else. Fresh simply doesn't last long enough for me to use it all unless I want to be visiting the store every day or 2 for the stuff I need for dinner that day (and doing it that way gets expensive).

It's insane seeing people just picking up 20 cans of Baked beans or tinned spaghetti and thinking that "ok". I'm starting to feel like I'm going to need to hoard a few items just so that when I run out in a couple weeks I don't have the same problem; which just makes everything worse...

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So an international academic writers conference (ICFA) that I usually am invited to as a fiction writer, and forgot to accept the invite last October, has been cancelled. I haven't read the email, I was just told by someone else. At a guess, though, there are worries about passing COVID19 around as well as the fact that many attendees come from the recently banned European countries and from countries that President Miller has been asking ICE to stop at the U.S. borders.

When I heard about COVID19, I was somewhat relieved I forgot about accepting the invite (and hence have no travel plans to cancel). I am not at all surprised today that the entire event is getting cancelled. But disappointed for all the graduate level students who were to present their theses at this event. This is going to hit them hard. Especially the ones who are trying to get attention for the next stage of their careers (and references).

Rumor has it that they cancelled because you weren't going, Brandie. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grr.Β  Hoping this is just a "morning" sniffles I've got right now.Β  Was fine last night, fine this morning up until a minute ago, now I've got a stuffy nose and a bit of a cough.

At least I saw the e-mail sent out at work @ 4:00pm Friday advising organizations to allow "liberal situational telework," so if it comes to it I can work from home next week.

I think if my boss allows it, I'll probably telework next week anyways, I had the flu last year, don't want to go through something like that again...

• Speaking as an advocate for "don't get me sick too," you should be working from home whether you have just a cold or flu or have the COVID19 nasty.

I really hope the one good thing that comes out of this is that all companies encourage people to use their PTO / Sick time properly or offer telework options for people who are sick so we don't have cold and flu bouncing around the office for months.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So an international academic writers conference (ICFA) that I usually am invited to as a fiction writer, and forgot to accept the invite last October, has been cancelled. I haven't read the email, I was just told by someone else. At a guess, though, there are worries about passing COVID19 around as well as the fact that many attendees come from the recently banned European countries and from countries that President Miller has been asking ICE to stop at the U.S. borders.

When I heard about COVID19, I was somewhat relieved I forgot about accepting the invite (and hence have no travel plans to cancel). I am not at all surprised today that the entire event is getting cancelled. But disappointed for all the graduate level students who were to present their theses at this event. This is going to hit them hard. Especially the ones who are trying to get attention for the next stage of their careers (and references).

Rumor has it that they cancelled because you weren't going, Brandie. πŸ˜€

Hee. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Was there an update to SSC recently?

The "last page" bug is back. When posts are under a certain number, the email link sends me to the page before and when I reply, the page refreshes to the page before.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Was there an update to SSC recently?

The "last page" bug is back. When posts are under a certain number, the email link sends me to the page before and when I reply, the page refreshes to the page before.

I also noticed this

MVDBA

• Just to put a new topic of conversation in here - have you ever had server envy?

My brother always used to have the best kit...… I've just finished testing on a 64 core physical server with a similar failover node and 1.2 terrabytes of ram in each node - attached to a greenlake and nimble SAN (ok only 1.4 million IOPS)

finally I have the upper hand πŸ™‚

who's got anything cooler? I want to see what's out there

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Just to put a new topic of conversation in here - have you ever had server envy?

I've been watching Linus' Tech Tips on YouTube recently, some of their Server builds are silly; I've definitely had some server envy there. As i work for a small business though, most other people I know working in the industry are working for larger companies, and so have a much larger budget than we do. I'm just happy that our SQL Server (2012) instance has 256GB of RAM.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Just to put a new topic of conversation in here - have you ever had server envy?

I've been watching Linus' Tech Tips on YouTube recently, some of their Server builds are silly; I've definitely had some server envy there. As i work for a small business though, most other people I know working in the industry are working for larger companies, and so have a much larger budget than we do. I'm just happy that our SQL Server (2012) instance has 256GB of RAM.

if you like that kind of stuff, there is a youtube video of Samsung wiring up something like 32 SSD drives in a Raid 0 arrayΒ  and launching every application on the platform (including solitaire, exell, powerpoint etc) - the beast they build took about 4 seconds to boot up and run the macro to launch every possible app available

I've not seen it for a while, so i'm sketchy on the details, but I do remember they had a fire extinguisher at the ready

I think this is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

MVDBA

• I've never been able to get my hands on a physical server. Remote into one, sure. But actually touch and play with one?

@Sob. Never!

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I've never been able to get my hands on a physical server. Remote into one, sure. But actually touch and play with one?

@Sob. Never!

I was allowed to (under controlled circumstances) stroke the server as it was being unpacked. πŸ™‚

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I've never been able to get my hands on a physical server. Remote into one, sure. But actually touch and play with one?

@Sob. Never!

I was allowed to (under controlled circumstances) stroke the server as it was being unpacked. πŸ™‚

Haha, this is where working for a small company at least is a winner. I have got to touch most of our servers, and even install new RAM (and a CPU) in one. I've also watched as someone dropped a brand new one (still in box) on the floor. >_<

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Knock, knock. Anyone home?

Or are we avoiding congregating on The Thread so we don't infect each other through the interwebs?

• Now you've gone and done it - I need to boil my laptop now.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,651 through 64,665 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply