Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Key thing, don't make the CV look like a series of job descriptions.  Focus on accomplishments and if you have hard numbers such as: improved system performance by 30%, or managed an annual IT budget of up to 250,000 annually, etc. If there was a significant problem or issue that you resolved include that.  Those are the things that will get you noticed.  There is, of course a lot more but those are just a few of the things I have tried and seems to work (other than managing an IT budget, haven't done that).

Thanks Lynn, those are things I likely wouldn't have thought to put on there in honesty. Does make me have a few ideas of things I can put on there.

It might be hard to get it right initially, but try using the STAR method to write your resume. STAR stands for Situation, Task, Action, Results. There are multiple explanations on the internet.

To keep your resume short (aim for 2 pages, but it's OK if you go over) just have relevant experience or the most recent. Then add a more complete version to your LinkedIn profile and have a personalized URL that you can easily add to your resume.

Sometimes getting a job fast is just about being lucky to start searching just when the position opened.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

As to pay cuts, I took a pay cut to work for SQLServerCentral. At the time, Andy, Brian and I were thinking to sell or do something because the site was burdening us as a part time gig. My wife worked, so we had insurance, and I could afford a pay cut (like 15%) from what I was making.

The rest is history.

That is about what I am thinking I will end up taking leaving the company.

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

one of the things i'm constantly told,... keep it to 2 pages

I was always told to do the same... until they saw the format and the content. Lynn has exactly the right idea below.

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

I am starting to ramp up my job search at this time, initially looking to see what may be available in house first.

This is something I'm going to be doing in the new year, but for different reasons. I've very much hit a glass ceiling here, and so it's time to move on (plus I became a property owner a couple of years ago, and cost of living going up and wages no, something has to give there too).

Honestly, I've no idea how to prepare right now or how to start in the new year with searching. My current employer is where I started working with SQL Server and I haven't written a CV in well over a decade (and that was a Retail based CV, certainly not IT or a specific product). This is going to be something that is very new to me. Hopefully things go well, and I can find somewhere nice to fit in and also dig my teeth into (I miss having challenges at the office to problem solve).

Hope no one minds if I probably ask for some pointers into the New Year. Think first step is likely finding a recruiter that understands the industry, and then getting a few CV templates done?

Key thing, don't make the CV look like a series of job descriptions.  Focus on accomplishments and if you have hard numbers such as: improved system performance by 30%, or managed an annual IT budget of up to 250,000 annually, etc. If there was a significant problem or issue that you resolved include that.  Those are the things that will get you noticed.  There is, of course a lot more but those are just a few of the things I have tried and seems to work (other than managing an IT budget, haven't done that).

One of the most important things is the OBJECTIVE.  Most people can't write one to save their souls.  It should be a summary of what you can do for the company... not what you want and none of that touchy-feely crap that most people include.  That and the first title that comes after it are where people make that infamous decision on the first pass as to which of the first two piles your resume/CV goes into.

Like I said, "It Depends" a whole lot on the format.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Because we are always looking and Allstate does let tech employees work from home (subject to certain caveats, depending on the division)… Careers @ Allstate.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Because we are always looking and Allstate does let tech employees work from home (subject to certain caveats, depending on the division)… Careers @ Allstate.

Parsons also encourages remote work where possible, that is why I recently started working from home even though I am only 7 minutes from the office.  Plus, I have a much better setup at home than I had at work.

I will take a look at what Allstate has for career options.  Thank you.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Because we are always looking and Allstate does let tech employees work from home (subject to certain caveats, depending on the division)… Careers @ Allstate.

Parsons also encourages remote work where possible, that is why I recently started working from home even though I am only 7 minutes from the office.  Plus, I have a much better setup at home than I had at work.

I will take a look at what Allstate has for career options.  Thank you.

Not sure how well I'd get along with home working, and not sure how well it would do with my whooping 10Mbps down and 1 Mbps up internet.

As a Brit, I think I'd be a bit too remote to be a home worker (or worker at all) 😉

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Not sure how well I'd get along with home working, and not sure how well it would do with my whooping 10Mbps down and 1 Mbps up internet.

As a Brit, I think I'd be a bit too remote to be a home worker (or worker at all) 😉

We have offices in Belfast.

Yes, it's a different island, but it's not as far as "across the pond."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I work for a British company. We've had developers in AUS work for us

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I work for a British company. We've had developers in AUS work for us

Understandable since Redgate did acquire an Australian firm and incorporated their technologies into their products.  When I worked for School District 11 we purchased a product to allow us to compress our SQL Server backups.  This product was cheaper than the Redgate tool and allowed us to use native backup and restore processes.

Never heard of the product until I read SQL Server magazine review of the product and it was the editors choice.  We had some minor issues and the company went out of the way to work with us in fixing the problems, including calling us on their dime outside of their normal business hours.  Even put us in direct contact with one of their developers.  In addition, they actually gave me a free license including updates for personal use.

Just wish I could remember the name of the company and their product.

• Dang, it got quiet around here again.

Not surprising with XMas a week away, I guess, so to those of you who celebrate the holiday, happy holidays!

Anyone got plans to see Star Wars this weekend?

• Happy Holidays to all!  I don't think I'll see Star Wars this weekend.  Even though I have a chance to go see it for free on Friday, plans changed so I won't be able to make it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Merry Christmas to all.

I will be visiting my oldest daughter and my 4 grandkids over Christmas in TN.

• Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Traveling back from the UK tomorrow and some catchup this weekend, so likely no Star Wars. Two kids home. Might go see it next week when all three are back

• Merry Christmas All, hope you enjoy the holidays (those of you that get them off 😉 ).

Won't lie, I really don't want to go see the latest Star Wars film, I really did not enjoy the last one. Few friends are trying to get me to go, but they've openly admitted it's more to see my reactions to it, than anything. >_<

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Happy holidays! Awaiting the reviews of the lastest star wars. Already missed Han Solo

Viewing 15 posts - 64,261 through 64,275 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply