Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I've done something rather rare but well deserved for me... I'm finally going to use some (a lot, actually) very well deserved "stay-cation" time this year.  I've already cleared taking next week off.

Woo-hoo! Now comes the hard part... to NOT think of work. I hope that you have a great time off.

Not thinking about work will be easy.   Not thinking about SQL Server will be difficult because I've so much to do.  Ed Wagner and I are working on a "Black Arts" of Index Maintenance precon that we hope to debut for the upcoming Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.  If you've not seen the sessions I've offered on the same subject at multiple SQL Saturdays (next one is Columbus, OH in June), let me assure you that the precon will change pretty much everything you've ever learned or thought about index maintenance, if I do say so myself.

I'll second that statement.  It isn't intuitive, but the conclusion was reached by studying the data.  If anyone's going to be in Pittsburgh towards the end of September, this is turning out to be a good precon.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I down voted everything on that post.  None of the people involved including the original poster, the two people that posted the answers, the idiot that edited the original and follow up post, or any of the moroffs that upvoted the currently accepted answer realized that you can't do an EXEC on a bloody table name.  Typical "brilliant" SO thread.   It would also appear that a couple of us also missed that. 😉   That being said, it might make a nice "ace breaker/RTFQ" question on an interview test. 😀

Honestly, I wasn't looking that closely at the original post because I knew the source of his error was different than mine as soon as I saw the OPEN ROWSET. Instead of checking the rest of his code, I went parsing the answers to see if they might offer something I needed.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A wrote:

In other news, what do you do when 2 CLI languages for your OS's isn't enough: Introduce a third: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/ I admit I haven't read too far into it, but I really don't see the point in introducing another new CLI on Windows. People are still using cmd, even though it technically doesn't exist on the latest Windows 10 builds. Personally, I think they would be better focusing on PoSh.

I still like "cmd"/DOS and WMI commands.  While I agree that PoSh is a powerful and useful tool, I find that too many people that know squat about T-SQL are using PoSh routines to work against (no pun intended) SQL Server with little understanding of the problems they may actually be causing at many different levels.

For them to put yet another layer around all of that means there might be more of an opportunity for SQL Server consultants to make a wad of money fixing stuff that has suddenly been made easier to screw up. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I didn't see the need to add a comment. The other answer is shown as accepted with multiple positive votes. The bad answer has now 2 negative votes (one mine and probably one from Sean).

I've voted the delete the answer, as that seems like a better idea in truth. Think Sean has enough Reputation to do that too, if he does want to.

Yeah I think it has to have a score of like -5 before you can vote to delete it. I will go back and put in my vote.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Thom A wrote:

In other news, what do you do when 2 CLI languages for your OS's isn't enough: Introduce a third: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/ I admit I haven't read too far into it, but I really don't see the point in introducing another new CLI on Windows. People are still using cmd, even though it technically doesn't exist on the latest Windows 10 builds. Personally, I think they would be better focusing on PoSh.

I still like "cmd"/DOS and WMI commands.  While I agree that PoSh is a powerful and useful tool, I find that too many people that know squat about T-SQL are using PoSh routines to work against (no pun intended) SQL Server with little understanding of the problems they may actually be causing at many different levels.   For them to put yet another layer around all of that means there might be more of an opportunity for SQL Server consultants to make a wad of money fixing stuff that has suddenly been made easier to screw up. 😉

I believe the reason behind this is to attract more Linux users to Windows. One OS to control them all.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thom A wrote:

Doesn't look like it's a new language. It's just a terminal app. Since they killed the Powershell ISE, I was using VS Code, but it's been wonky. I'll try this out. Might be great.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I didn't see the need to add a comment. The other answer is shown as accepted with multiple positive votes. The bad answer has now 2 negative votes (one mine and probably one from Sean).

I've voted the delete the answer, as that seems like a better idea in truth. Think Sean has enough Reputation to do that too, if he does want to.

I downvoted and flagged it. It's noise.

I down voted everything on that post.  None of the people involved including the original poster, the two people that posted the answers, the idiot that edited the original and follow up post, or any of the moroffs that upvoted the currently accepted answer realized that you can't do an EXEC on a bloody table name.  Typical "brilliant" SO thread.   It would also appear that a couple of us also missed that. 😉   That being said, it might make a nice "ace breaker/RTFQ" question on an interview test. 😀

When I saw the EXEC and the OP commenting on a temp table that is not there, my mind assumed that it was a procedure. It might simply be a confusion when obfuscating the names.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Sean Lange wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Yeah I think it has to have a score of like -5 before you can vote to delete it. I will go back and put in my vote.

I think they should leave it because of the lesson that can be learned now that I've made a comment on it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I downvoted and flagged it. It's noise.

When I saw the EXEC and the OP commenting on a temp table that is not there, my mind assumed that it was a procedure. It might simply be a confusion when obfuscating the names.

That's a very strong possibility.  I'm just totally gob-smacked at that kind of error and all that followed.

The cool part of this is that we'll get to see how people respond if they make that same realization.  I expect it will be a response typical of people that normally participate on SO instead of realizing that newbies may not make the same realization.  We shall see.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I've done something rather rare but well deserved for me... I'm finally going to use some (a lot, actually) very well deserved "stay-cation" time this year.  I've already cleared taking next week off.

Woo-hoo! Now comes the hard part... to NOT think of work. I hope that you have a great time off.

Not thinking about work will be easy.   Not thinking about SQL Server will be difficult because I've so much to do.  Ed Wagner and I are working on a "Black Arts" of Index Maintenance precon that we hope to debut for the upcoming Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.  If you've not seen the sessions I've offered on the same subject at multiple SQL Saturdays (next one is Columbus, OH in June), let me assure you that the precon will change pretty much everything you've ever learned or thought about index maintenance, if I do say so myself.

I'll second that statement.  It isn't intuitive, but the conclusion was reached by studying the data.  If anyone's going to be in Pittsburgh towards the end of September, this is turning out to be a good precon.

I don't see an upcoming SQLSaturday in Pittsburgh... for Sept, I only see events in Boston and Memphis in the US. Has it been announced yet?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• No... they haven't announced it yet.  IIRC, they normally announce it sometime in June.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thom A wrote:

It's less about a new CLI, though having bash is good when you have multi-platform people that might prefer it, or are migrating code from a *nix platform and want to keep it on a Windows machine. That's the big change. I do wish they'd push for PoSh more, especially as so much work has been done to convert things to work with PoSh on Windows, and it's on Linux as well.

The multi-tabbed item is cool. I have that with ConEmu and use it all the time.

• WayneS wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I don't see an upcoming SQLSaturday in Pittsburgh... for Sept, I only see events in Boston and Memphis in the US. Has it been announced yet?

No, we always have it whatever weekend falls around October 1st.  It's not been scheduled yet.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

The multi-tabbed item is cool. I have that with ConEmu and use it all the time.

I've got in the habit of using CSSH at home lately, as I have a few pi's all set up to replicate, that's really useful as it inputs the commands into all the terminals at once. Would be good to see functionality like that as well. Tabs are nice, but for CLI I actually prefer multiple windows; especially when I'm comparing settings, etc.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I don't see an upcoming SQLSaturday in Pittsburgh... for Sept, I only see events in Boston and Memphis in the US. Has it been announced yet?

No, we always have it whatever weekend falls around October 1st.  It's not been scheduled yet.

...and it is an amazing SQL SATURDAY. Kudos to the organizers of this wonderful event.

412-977-3526 call/text

Viewing 15 posts - 63,496 through 63,510 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply