Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:03 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:10 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:59 AM

I'll be there on the Saturday at least.  There's no excuse when it's a bus ride away

Sorry, missing again. Timing doesn't work for me.

I'm going. Taking in the Manchester City match on Wednesday night, teaching a precon on Thursday (which means minimal imbibing during the game), and a regular session on Friday.

Ah, driving up Wednesday night. Lets hope I miss the football traffic!
    Will be good to catch up with you at some point.

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

Is it too early to mention SQL Bits?
    Who from the Thread are attending?

I see Grant, Hugo and Gianlucci are presenting.
    I'm attending Friday and Saturday. Although I'll be there in Manchester from Thursday morning and I have to leave early Saturday.

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm teaching a session on Friday. I'm flying in on Thrusday already, and back home on Sunday.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:32 AM

<Headdesk>

You know that moment when, after 5-6 hours of unit testing (sometimes the entire previous day) and trying to find out why all your records disappeared, you realize that the new column you added and are joining on is full of NULL because you forgot to update it?

That's my morning.

On the plus side, I think I figured out my CROSS APPLY typo issue (half-typo, half-NULL column) that was screwing me up. So now I have to go back and update that thread today.

Yep. Fun fun fun fun morning.

Problem solved! Sorta. Yay?

Kind of, my problem this morning isn't that bad, just more annoying...
    Like being asked if anything could've changed in a database when it was migrated to a new server, as the application (COTS product) isn't displaying images that get uploaded to it.
    Of course, the migration happened almost a year and a half ago and it's just coming up now when it was discovered while the admin is trying to troubleshoot a different issue...
    And the migration consisted of "backup database, copy backup file, restore database, tell application admin the name of the new server."

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

So under the context of my current project, my boss asked me to put in some technical debt. Basic code clean up and performance enhancement of code I wrote back in 2007 and have been appending / modified on a regular basis since. The code has always been complicated from day one and my understanding of T-SQL has substantially improved since then.

In the past two weeks, I have found 3 production bugs that no one has noticed. I've improved the code to cut out 20 minutes of time on one proc, 10 minutes on another, and I'm still finding stuff that can be tweaked to improve it.

This is the same code built on "If Bertie was wearing a green tie on Sunday and it rained in China but the butterflies on Greenland were flying west, do X, but if all these are true and Susie was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, do Y."

I cannot believe how much cleanup there is to do. And that I finally have time to do it. This code embarrasses me. I'm ashamed to have written it. To give you an idea of what I was dealing with, though, there were no less than 56 scope changes over the first year of the project. And there have been another 32+ since. Not to mention bug fixes for "black holes" that new business rules accidentally introduced.

Wow... just... wow.

Damn Susie, always flouting that "white after Labor Day" rule...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:30 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

So under the context of my current project, my boss asked me to put in some technical debt. Basic code clean up and performance enhancement of code I wrote back in 2007 and have been appending / modified on a regular basis since. The code has always been complicated from day one and my understanding of T-SQL has substantially improved since then.

In the past two weeks, I have found 3 production bugs that no one has noticed. I've improved the code to cut out 20 minutes of time on one proc, 10 minutes on another, and I'm still finding stuff that can be tweaked to improve it.

This is the same code built on "If Bertie was wearing a green tie on Sunday and it rained in China but the butterflies on Greenland were flying west, do X, but if all these are true and Susie was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, do Y."

I cannot believe how much cleanup there is to do. And that I finally have time to do it. This code embarrasses me. I'm ashamed to have written it. To give you an idea of what I was dealing with, though, there were no less than 56 scope changes over the first year of the project. And there have been another 32+ since. Not to mention bug fixes for "black holes" that new business rules accidentally introduced.

Wow... just... wow.

How odd. Tried to edit this post and the Update Post button wouldn't work. So I'll quote myself instead.

EDIT: I'm curious. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes... I end up summarizing a lot of things.  For example, the following...

"If Bertie was wearing a green tie on Sunday and it rained in China but the butterflies on Greenland were flying west, do X, but if all these are true and Susie was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, do Y."

...can be easily calculated by the following...

SELECT {insert miracle case statement here}
       FROM dbo.daTableThingy
      WHERE WTF = 'Wednesday' / 'Purple'
    ;

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:16 AM

Ah, driving up Wednesday night. Lets hope I miss the football traffic!
    Will be good to catch up with you at some point.

Cheers,

Rodders...

Rod - The football traffic's only usually bad near the ground so depending on where you're staying you might be ok.

Grant- the beer at the ground is pretty crappy; actually worse than that, it's expensive and crappy.  You're also not allowed by law to drink alcohol in view of the pitch at football matches minimal imbibing is usually the norm.  However, if you make your way into the Northern Quarter afterwards there is many a good bar.

The company won't pay for training at the moment so I'm still not sure whether I'm going to go to anything other than the Saturday.  I'm in the midst of detailed negotiations with Mrs B about any of the social stuff.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• I'd like to go but I'd need accommodation etc. and I don't think my company will spring for it. Maybe next year, if it's back in London.

• Neil, good to know. I don't actually know where the City ground is.
    I didn't want to drive up - not a great drive from the depths of East Anglia. Having done in the past. But the Classic Rock Society awards gig is the Saturday night in Wathe Upon Dearne. Couldn't see a way of doing both if I was relying on public transport. So drive it is! Looks like I will miss a couple of good sessions Saturday afternoon as a result.
    I'm at the Garden Inn at Old Trafford Cricket Ground. means I get to ride the tram in to the conference πŸ™‚
    And driving up the Wednesday night as the office is 75 minutes nearer than home πŸ˜€

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

I'm attending Friday and Saturday. Although I'll be there in Manchester from Thursday morning and I have to leave early Saturday.

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm registered for the Saturday and waiting for the Purchase Order to be processed for the Wednesday and Thursday. I didn't make a request for Friday because at the time there was nothing listed for that day, so I couldn't justify it.

• rodjkidd - Friday, January 25, 2019 2:23 AM

Neil, good to know. I don't actually know where the City ground is.
    I didn't want to drive up - not a great drive from the depths of East Anglia. Having done in the past. But the Classic Rock Society awards gig is the Saturday night in Wathe Upon Dearne. Couldn't see a way of doing both if I was relying on public transport. So drive it is! Looks like I will miss a couple of good sessions Saturday afternoon as a result.
    I'm at the Garden Inn at Old Trafford Cricket Ground. means I get to ride the tram in to the conference πŸ™‚
    And driving up the Wednesday night as the office is 75 minutes nearer than home πŸ˜€

Cheers,

Rodders...

I've got good news and bad news about the football grounds.  You're on essentially the other side of Manchester from the Etihad so Wednesday's traffic wont't be a problem.

However, it may come as no surprise to find you're pretty close to the other stadium in Manchester and they're at home on the Saturday.  Traffic around there is horrendous before and after a match.  The smart move would be to set off between 1500 and 1645-ish when the match is actually under way. 

I can recommend the Salisbury just off Oxford Road as a decent rock pub for a couple of pints. It's not a million miles from where you're staying.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Friday, January 25, 2019 2:56 AM

I've got good news and bad news about the football grounds.  You're on essentially the other side of Manchester from the Etihad so Wednesday's traffic wont't be a problem.

However, it may come as no surprise to find you're pretty close to the other stadium in Manchester and they're at home on the Saturday.  Traffic around there is horrendous before and after a match.  The smart move would be to set off between 1500 and 1645-ish when the match is actually under way. 

I can recommend the Salisbury just off Oxford Road as a decent rock pub for a couple of pints. It's not a million miles from where you're staying.

Yes I realised the cricket ground and Man U were close. But I'd forgotten to check what was on that Saturday. Thanks for the heads up, and about the pub!

Rodders...

• BrainDonor - Friday, January 25, 2019 2:48 AM

rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm registered for the Saturday and waiting for the Purchase Order to be processed for the Wednesday and Thursday. I didn't make a request for Friday because at the time there was nothing listed for that day, so I couldn't justify it.

Cool, 
    will be good to catch up!

Rodders...

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:16 PM

Yes... I end up summarizing a lot of things.  For example, the following...

"If Bertie was wearing a green tie on Sunday and it rained in China but the butterflies on Greenland were flying west, do X, but if all these are true and Susie was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, do Y."

...can be easily calculated by the following...

SELECT {insert miracle case statement here}
       FROM dbo.daTableThingy
      WHERE WTF = 'Wednesday' / 'Purple'
    ;

That is my new favorite code snippet. I have to save that in my library and trot it out the next time we have one of these projects. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 25, 2019 5:24 AM

That is my new favorite code snippet. I have to save that in my library and trot it out the next time we have one of these projects. @=)

πŸ˜€  Don't forget to partition dbo.daTableThingy by furlongs per fortnight for big data. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• MSSQL Tips Newsletter headline "Properly Secure SQL Server."

Well, duh. You don't need an article for that. Just revoke all access.

ALL access.

Problem solved. Server secure. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,031 through 63,045 (of 66,573 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply