Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ray K - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:59 AM

I once dealt with a recruiter who would not tell me with whom I was interviewing until a day before the interview, despite the number of times I asked.  (He would ONLY tell me it was "an insurance company.")  And it turned out to be a company for which I had no interest in working.

Since then, I absolutely refuse to acknowledge unsolicited recruiters.

I had a recruiter ask me what my bottom line was. I told them. They came back with an offer that was substantially below it. I said "No thanks" and the recruiter got extremely upset with me. Company also called me up, pissed. I told them why. They said, "Oh, but you'll make that up in bonuses." I talked to their people. No bonuses were ever delivered.

Funny enough, the reason I thought of that one is because the company is notorious in our area. They've burned through DBA talent like you wouldn't believe (combination of extremely challenging environment, in the best sense, and a challenging environment, in the worst sense). So, I get recruiters calling me for a hedge fund. I ask, "Is it this one?" They're like "Well, we can't tell you." So I say "Fine, but if it is so&so Hedge Fund, I've already turned them down once and they really dislike me. You may want to consider whether or not you want to send my resume in." Half the recruiters say, oh, well, it is them. The other half just say "Well, never mind then." And I know it's them, because otherwise, why would they not take you.

Oh, and just so we're clear since my co-workers are all here, this happened before my glorious job at Redgate.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:54 PM

Ray K - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:59 AM

I once dealt with a recruiter who would not tell me with whom I was interviewing until a day before the interview, despite the number of times I asked.  (He would ONLY tell me it was "an insurance company.")  And it turned out to be a company for which I had no interest in working.

I had a recruiter ask me what my bottom line was. I told them. They came back with an offer that was substantially below it. I said "No thanks" and the recruiter got extremely upset with me. Company also called me up, pissed. I told them why. They said, "Oh, but you'll make that up in bonuses." I talked to their people. No bonuses were ever delivered.

Funny enough, the reason I thought of that one is because the company is notorious in our area. They've burned through DBA talent like you wouldn't believe (combination of extremely challenging environment, in the best sense, and a challenging environment, in the worst sense). So, I get recruiters calling me for a hedge fund. I ask, "Is it this one?" They're like "Well, we can't tell you." So I say "Fine, but if it is so&so Hedge Fund, I've already turned them down once and they really dislike me. You may want to consider whether or not you want to send my resume in." Half the recruiters say, oh, well, it is them. The other half just say "Well, never mind then." And I know it's them, because otherwise, why would they not take you.

Oh, and just so we're clear since my co-workers are all here, this happened before my glorious job at Redgate.

Haha. My wife is severely underpaid for her position. She worked for a company that got acquired by a much larger about 10 years ago. Her boss at the original company was notorious for underpaying (and often overworking) female employees. Every year she brings it up during review time and she keeps getting met with things like "we will increase your bonus factor" or "well you get a huge bonus so that should offset it some". Are they for real? She would get a significant raise if she quit and got direct hired. And really a bonus is NOT part of compensation, it is a bonus and can't be counted on. Seems recruiters aren't the only people out there twisting stuff around.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ray K - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:59 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:54 AM

I had a recruiter once add abilities to my CV that I didn't possess. The job required some super deep knowledge of X509 to write a bunch of security stuff. When the recruiter asked if I knew anything about X509 I told them it is the standard for SSL but I didn't know much about how it works. When I got to the interview they started asking me all sorts of questions about how to handle various security aspects and how the relate to X509. Needless to say I had no answer to the question other than "I don't know". After 4-5 of these questions and me clearly have no idea of how it worked the interviewer asked me why I had inflated my CV to include stuff I clearly know nothing about. I was surprised to say the least and ask if they had a copy of my CV. Fortunately for me I always print a few copies for interviews just in case. The CV which I submitted to the recruiting agency and the one the interviewer had were very different. I was suddenly an expert in X509 when in reality I could barely spell it. It was the end of the formal interview but all had a good laugh about it. I doubt the recruiter had much of a laugh as they got a nasty call from me and likely their client. Needless to say I don't work with them anymore.

Well, an unsolicited recruiter got me a job that I'm starting today. Everything seems fine right now, except for some of the DB code, but that's why I'm here.
    When you're unemployed in a foreign country, you can't get too picky on where the offers come from.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Had a recruiter today ask me if I could stripe data across disks.

I started laughing and hung up.

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:54 AM

I had a recruiter once add abilities to my CV that I didn't possess. The job required some super deep knowledge of X509 to write a bunch of security stuff. When the recruiter asked if I knew anything about X509 I told them it is the standard for SSL but I didn't know much about how it works. When I got to the interview they started asking me all sorts of questions about how to handle various security aspects and how the relate to X509. Needless to say I had no answer to the question other than "I don't know". After 4-5 of these questions and me clearly have no idea of how it worked the interviewer asked me why I had inflated my CV to include stuff I clearly know nothing about. I was surprised to say the least and ask if they had a copy of my CV. Fortunately for me I always print a few copies for interviews just in case. The CV which I submitted to the recruiting agency and the one the interviewer had were very different. I was suddenly an expert in X509 when in reality I could barely spell it. It was the end of the formal interview but all had a good laugh about it. I doubt the recruiter had much of a laugh as they got a nasty call from me and likely their client. Needless to say I don't work with them anymore.

Well, an unsolicited recruiter got me a job that I'm starting today. Everything seems fine right now, except for some of the DB code, but that's why I'm here.
    When you're unemployed in a foreign country, you can't get too picky on where the offers come from.

Glad you managed to get a new position. Which country you ended up on?

• Over the years I've seen my fair share of oddities.
    CVs being altered by the recruiter. Happened early on. 2nd IT job I had if I recall. I now take a printed copy or have it on my phone / tablet and ask if I can refer to it.
    Location / company. That sadly happens a lot. Although recently recruiters do seem to be more upfront. Had an interview where I didn't know the company or location until the day before. I still went through with it, sadly, not the job as described, not in a great location and was 1 year fixed term not perm, and I wasn't near enough to commute.
    Another had a telephone interview, found out the company the evening before, was in an industry I didn't want to work it - it also would have required relocation. The interviewer was only interested in asking tech questions, I just about managed to to get in a "sorry but I do need to ask one question first as I don't think this is the role for me". They were not happy when the answer did confirm my fears.

I've also been on the other side. not that I like to interview people. Seen a fair share of CVs that don't match that have come via recruiters. Also witnessed some shockers during the interview. 

I worked for a telco many years ago. The bonus was only paid out once when I was there (4 years). People booked holidays, bought cars based on getting it. I learnt a good lesson there.
    Whenever a recruiter says something like yes well the bonus will take you over what you are asking for salary wise - if its a perm role... My reply sorry its a called a bonus for a reason. I don't take that into account. or a variation of that!

Its a funny old game, as the saying goes. πŸ˜€

Rodders...

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:54 PM

This isn't the one that begins with a B, is it? Ugh, that place.

I completely agree that bonuses are exactly that; payment on top of your other earnings. When I ask for the basic salary, don't try to inflate it by added a bonus figure that is probably fictional and certainly not contractual. If I find out at the end of the process that the actual salary is £20K less than I thought, I'm not exactly going to sign any contracts, am I?

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Glad to hear that Luis. Sorry I couldn't shake something out for you. We've had a string of bad apples that have soured management on trying anything other than someone in their office.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:54 AM

I had a similar incident back in the late 90's. Took a day off from my employer at the time, drove over 2 hours for the interview.  Got questions about stuff I didn't know, the recruiter had added skills to my resume.  Huge waste of my time and that's why I refuse to work with recruiters.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• frederico_fonseca - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:01 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Glad you managed to get a new position. Which country you ended up on?

I managed to stay in Atlanta, so USA.
    Although, one recruiter insisted on me changing my resume to add abilities and relocate.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:08 AM

I completely agree that bonuses are exactly that; payment on top of your other earnings. When I ask for the basic salary, don't try to inflate it by added a bonus figure that is probably fictional and certainly not contractual. If I find out at the end of the process that the actual salary is £20K less than I thought, I'm not exactly going to sign any contracts, am I?

Nope. Starts with a different letter.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Luis Cazares - Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:50 AM

I managed to stay in Atlanta, so USA.
    Although, one recruiter insisted on me changing my resume to add abilities and relocate.

That's good to hear, Luis.  I know you were really happy in Atlanta, so I'm glad you got to stay there.

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:50 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:08 AM

Nope. Starts with a different letter.

Oh dear; the one that starts with a B uses DBAs up and spits them out too.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:04 AM

Oh dear; the one that starts with a B uses DBAs up and spits them out too.

This other one does the same. I know an MVP they convinced to move from consulting to full time with them who then subsequently quit (after years of consulting for them, it was actually funny). It's weird how a business can get a reputation. It's also weird that businesses think that employees don't talk to each other and their friends. Ah well. It all helps keep things interesting.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:21 AM

This other one does the same. I know an MVP they convinced to move from consulting to full time with them who then subsequently quit (after years of consulting for them, it was actually funny). It's weird how a business can get a reputation. It's also weird that businesses think that employees don't talk to each other and their friends. Ah well. It all helps keep things interesting.

The suspense is killing me! Someone please PM me the company name!!

I know a company beginning with A that Rodney and numerous other SSC lurkers have worked for and left earlier than company A might have liked...

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 63,001 through 63,015 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply