Are the posted questions getting worse?

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, November 12, 2018 6:35 AM

ThomasRushton - Monday, November 12, 2018 5:34 AM

As I've just found a database whose filenames (logical & physical) begin with a space but the DBName doesn't, I'm going with Lynn here...

I've got a few databases at work with the database name created in this pattern: c:\directory\subdirectory\filename.mdf.
     So to make a valid backup brackets would be used, the backup then looks like:

backup database [c:\directory\subdirectory\filename.mdf] to 'another path here' etc. I was a bit confused when I first ran across this thing, the working theory is that this was installed by some vendor support tech who was filling out forms one of which inquired of the database name and that's what he entered and I guess it makes sense in a "don't want to enter the wrong name" sort of way.

It took me a minute to see the problem, once I did, I agree with Jeff...
    Yowch!
    That's some "find the vendor and the schmoe who set it up and beat them with an IBM Model M keyboard until it breaks" level id10tory there...

• jasona.work - Monday, November 12, 2018 11:31 AM

Jeff Moden - Saturday, November 10, 2018 10:00 PM

Michael L John - Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:43 PM

We started moving our data center last night at 3 am. 12 racks of servers, switches, San, etc. Anticipated finish time was 6 am. We (the network folks) are still connecting servers, configuring ports, and configuring firewalls.This may be a resume generating event for some folks.

Heh... Sounds like you may be right.  I guess I don't understand why anyone in the right frame of mind would think that such a move could be done in 3 hours.  How far did you have to move the data center?

I think the only way you could move a datacenter in 3 hours without missing anything would be if it were one of these:

Bring in the flatbed trailer, winch it on once you've disconnected power and network, haul it to the new datacenter and drop it off the trailer, re-connect, then realize that some numpty forgot to secure ~1/2 the equipment to the racks and it's all now piled up on the floor...
    OK, yeah, I guess you can't move a datacenter in 3hrs or less...
    :hehe:

We didn't move any racks, just the servers.  The new DC had the racks set up previously.  What wasn't done was the map of where the servers were supposed to go in the new racks.  We picked up and moved servers 20 times it seems

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jasona.work - Monday, November 12, 2018 11:31 AM

I think the only way you could move a datacenter in 3 hours without missing anything would be if it were one of these:

Bring in the flatbed trailer, winch it on once you've disconnected power and network, haul it to the new datacenter and drop it off the trailer, re-connect, then realize that some numpty forgot to secure ~1/2 the equipment to the racks and it's all now piled up on the floor...
    OK, yeah, I guess you can't move a datacenter in 3hrs or less...
    :hehe:

Heh... and, yes, DO paint it black so that you can really exercise those cooling fans! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, November 12, 2018 12:17 PM

Heh... and, yes, DO paint it black so that you can really exercise those cooling fans! 😀

Nah, use a forklift to drag / push it into the actual DC...
    The lovely, lovely sound of steel scraping on concrete...

• Jeff Moden - Monday, November 12, 2018 6:26 AM

ThomasRushton - Monday, November 12, 2018 5:34 AM

As I've just found a database whose filenames (logical & physical) begin with a space but the DBName doesn't, I'm going with Lynn here...

You should go with me.  It's much more fun to find and pork chop the perpetrator(s). 😀

Yes, that would be nice but the darling that did this in a production system on secure network is also the darling that can do no wrong and even when I show that the code he wrote is fragile they chose to go with his code.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, November 12, 2018 10:01 PM

Yes, that would be nice but the darling that did this in a production system on secure network is also the darling that can do no wrong and even when I show that the code he wrote is fragile they chose to go with his code.

Heh... oh... I definitely get it, Lynn. In the face of such "darling code", braces are a lifesaver... especially when you're not allowed to use pork chops in conversations with developers that don't get it that are supported by equally ignorant managers (not necessarily stupid, just ignorant of databases and database code).  It's even worse when there's an active turnstile at the door because either there's no time to train folks or they leave once you're trained them.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grab your popcorn for this topic!
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/2009853/The-Linux-CoC
    It's trying *real hard* to descend into politics, rather than a discussion of the Editorial itself...

Steve's doing his best I think, to keep it from going full-on screaming fight by ignoring the more charged comments, shall we say?

• That feeling when you find out you asked someone to put in a ticket to have a user removed from the login list, only to find out they didn't need to do that because the user in question didn't have access to begin with...

I suppose I can look at this as beginning to teach them good habits for the next one to leave, as well as teaching myself the good habit to check first...

• Is that damn thread about TOP still going on?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Oh. My.

I will not be participating in that conversation. Neither as Grant nor as the PASS President. Woof! Y'all have fun.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• With lots of straw.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:43 PM

That feeling when you find out you asked someone to put in a ticket to have a user removed from the login list, only to find out they didn't need to do that because the user in question didn't have access to begin with...

I suppose I can look at this as beginning to teach them good habits for the next one to leave, as well as teaching myself the good habit to check first...

Reminds me of when I get asked to resubmit a vehicle the to MID (Motor Insurance Database, which holds details of everyninsured vehicle in the UK) because, according to the customer it's not on there. Spend my time investigating why it's not showing, can't find a reason, check the MID and... oh, it's there. Ive got in the habit of checking myself now but I wish the staff would first instead of sending me moaning emails that we've failed the customer and telling the customer "IT" did something wrong (95% of the time it was staff error, as if we did something we notice, fix it and notify them).

It's not ideal though, as it can lower trust on both sides. The staff think that IT aren't getting things right (when in  fact, the system is working as intended) and the IT staff get frustrated with the other staff as they aren't getting things right, or aren't checking things before escalating.

Ahh well, we just have to make things more idiot proof. It'll create more creative idiots, but, I kind of find the way the mind of a user works fascinating some days.  "Why did you think that clicking yes to both dialogue boxes that said "This will delete the customer's order history. Are you sure you want to do this?" wouldn't delete their order history?"🤣

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:17 PM

jasona.work - Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:43 PM

That feeling when you find out you asked someone to put in a ticket to have a user removed from the login list, only to find out they didn't need to do that because the user in question didn't have access to begin with...

Reminds me of when I get asked to resubmit a vehicle the to MID (Motor Insurance Database, which holds details of everyninsured vehicle in the UK) because, according to the customer it's not on there. Spend my time investigating why it's not showing, can't find a reason, check the MID and... oh, it's there. Ive got in the habit of checking myself now but I wish the staff would first instead of sending me moaning emails that we've failed the customer and telling the customer "IT" did something wrong (95% of the time it was staff error, as if we did something we notice, fix it and notify them).

It's not ideal though, as it can lower trust on both sides. The staff think that IT aren't getting things right (when in  fact, the system is working as intended) and the IT staff get frustrated with the other staff as they aren't getting things right, or aren't checking things before escalating.

Ahh well, we just have to make things more idiot proof. It'll create more creative idiots, but, I kind of find the way the mind of a user works fascinating some days.  "Why did you think that clicking yes to both dialogue boxes that said "This will delete the customer's order history. Are you sure you want to do this?" wouldn't delete their order history?"🤣

Well, I can't really blame the customer, they made the presumption that the person in question did have some sort of access, and I took them at that.
    I'll 'fess up to them in the morning, if nothing else it'll be a real easy ticket to close out, because I'm at this point 99.9% sure the person in question also doesn't have any access to the web sites that would need to be removed, either...

• jasona.work - Monday, November 12, 2018 11:36 AM

It took me a minute to see the problem, once I did, I agree with Jeff...
    Yowch!
    That's some "find the vendor and the schmoe who set it up and beat them with an IBM Model M keyboard until it breaks" level id10tory there...

I have a few spare IBM model M keyboards to lend to the cause for THAT best of a whopper...  Just saying 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 62,836 through 62,850 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply