Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeffery Williams - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:08 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:00 AM

ChrisM@Work - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:05 AM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:55 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:02 AM

Hee. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be interested in the daily going's on of someone's bowel movements, I'd have told you "You be nuts!"

Then I had a baby.

Oh, the embarrasssing things I do and ask these days... @=)

It shouldn't be embarrassing at all.  It's called being a parent and there's more to come.  The things we do when our child is a baby are things we generally don't think about until we become parents.  Don't worry...it gets better.

But, if anyone tells you that they get cheaper as they get older, it's a lie.  I used to think "I can't wait until she's out of diapers" as I'd stop by the store after work to buy them again.  Now that my daughter is 16, I know that was nothing.  But it's all worth it.  I find that being a dad is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

I've read your T-shirt Ed 😉

I'll tattoo Ed's phrase on anyone's forehead that will comes close to my girls:exclamation:
    😎

It is not that expensive to raise a child. College if you don't want them to have loans can get pricey but so worth it.  And it gets better than the diaper days?? Naw.. every day is amazing regardless of what yo uare doing for your child.  Never had an embarrassed moment; not one.

I, just like you Jeffery, will not spare any expenses when it comes to my children, I don't have the patience to wait until becoming a grandfather to have the "justification" to spoil my descendants absolutely rotten😉
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:15 AM

Jeffery Williams - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:08 AM

Hee. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be interested in the daily going's on of someone's bowel movements, I'd have told you "You be nuts!"

Then I had a baby.

It shouldn't be embarrassing at all.  It's called being a parent and there's more to come.  The things we do when our child is a baby are things we generally don't think about until we become parents.  Don't worry...it gets better.

But, if anyone tells you that they get cheaper as they get older, it's a lie.  I used to think "I can't wait until she's out of diapers" as I'd stop by the store after work to buy them again.  Now that my daughter is 16, I know that was nothing.  But it's all worth it.  I find that being a dad is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

I'll tattoo Ed's phrase on anyone's forehead that will comes close to my girls:exclamation:
    😎

It is not that expensive to raise a child. College if you don't want them to have loans can get pricey but so worth it.  And it gets better than the diaper days?? Naw.. every day is amazing regardless of what yo uare doing for your child.  Never had an embarrassed moment; not one.

I, just like you Jeffery, will not spare any expenses when it comes to my children, I don't have the patience to wait until becoming a grandfather to have the "justification" to spoil my descendants absolutely rotten😉
    😎

NOPE NOPE... Life is short. I started before they got here (The nurseries were OFF THE CHAIN) and have not stopped since. They learn responsibility and accountability but still get spoiled.

<hr noshade size=1 width=250 color=#BBC8E5> Regards,Jeffery Williams http://www.linkedin.com/in/jwilliamsoh

• Jeffery Williams - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:43 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:15 AM

Jeffery Williams - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:08 AM

Then I had a baby.

😎

😎

NOPE NOPE... Life is short. I started before they got here (The nurseries were OFF THE CHAIN) and have not stopped since. They learn responsibility and accountability but still get spoiled.

Oh and Grandchildren.. Yeah Commence round two of spoiling.

<hr noshade size=1 width=250 color=#BBC8E5> Regards,Jeffery Williams http://www.linkedin.com/in/jwilliamsoh

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:00 AM

Then I had a baby.

😎

Thanks to the both of you.  You made me literally laugh out loud while sitting in my office.  I'l glad you like it. 😀

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:10 PM

Thanks to the both of you.  You made me literally laugh out loud while sitting in my office.  I'l glad you like it. 😀

Being a dad, and now a grand-dad, is by far the best thing I've ever done.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:10 PM

😎

Maybe I missed it earlier, but... what is Ed's phrase?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Friday, October 19, 2018 6:25 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:10 PM

😎

Maybe I missed it earlier, but... what is Ed's phrase?

I missed it too. Would dearly love to know.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• grumble, mumble.

Why is it the DBA's job to know A) all the business rules that the users either don't care to keep track of or can't keep track of and B) how the vendor's systems work to be able to (in seconds, mind) diagnose a problem that is taking the vendor 4 days to even wrap their head around?

I mean, really, I was off 3 days last week. After I left, there were problems in a non-prod environment directly related to a thing the vendor did on my "last" day in the office. I come in this morning to a pile of "hey, something is wrong... Oh, we're still trying to diagnose" emails, check a .bat file, and say "Um, did anyone look at this?"

<headdesk>

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:08 AM

grumble, mumble.

Why is it the DBA's job to know A) all the business rules that the users either don't care to keep track of or can't keep track of and B) how the vendor's systems work to be able to (in seconds, mind) diagnose a problem that is taking the vendor 4 days to even wrap their head around?

I mean, really, I was off 3 days last week. After I left, there were problems in a non-prod environment directly related to a thing the vendor did on my "last" day in the office. I come in this morning to a pile of "hey, something is wrong... Oh, we're still trying to diagnose" emails, check a .bat file, and say "Um, did anyone look at this?"

<headdesk>

A) Why, *BECAUSE* you're the DBA and should know everything about everything the business does!  Where stuff goes in the warehouse?  The DBA should know, it's stored in the database after all.
    B)  Because the vendor knows you know their system better than their own techs, so they can just do the "yeah, we're trying to figure out what's wrong (heheh the DBA will figure it out for us, e-mail us, then we can take the credit for fixing it!)"

• jasona.work - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:20 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:08 AM

grumble, mumble.

<headdesk>

A) Why, *BECAUSE* you're the DBA and should know everything about everything the business does!  Where stuff goes in the warehouse?  The DBA should know, it's stored in the database after all.
    B)  Because the vendor knows you know their system better than their own techs, so they can just do the "yeah, we're trying to figure out what's wrong (heheh the DBA will figure it out for us, e-mail us, then we can take the credit for fixing it!)"

To paraphrase "A" - DBA = Default Blame Acceptor.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:29 AM

jasona.work - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:20 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:08 AM

grumble, mumble.

<headdesk>

To paraphrase "A" - DBA = Default Blame Acceptor.

In German, Das D... A....
    😎

• Is anyone up to some spoon feeding?
    😎

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:08 AM

grumble, mumble.

<headdesk>

Because you my friend are a 6 figure employee. You are one of the top paid people in many organizations and you OWN the data. it is the job and you honestly you should be damn proud of it!! MANY MANY of us here in the forum love our jobs; take great pride in fixing or make work what nobody else can; we are damn near magic.

If you are not embracing these attributes you may very well be going down the wrong career path :).

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, October 22, 2018 11:22 AM

Is anyone up to some spoon feeding?
    😎

ummm... no.

l:alien:

• Never thought I'd say this, but I need some Oracle help please.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/2005273/Oracle-SQL-Developer-to-MS-SQL-Server

Viewing 15 posts - 62,701 through 62,715 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply