Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:11 AM

jasona.work - Monday, July 30, 2018 8:16 AM

Hmm...
    Maybe I'm not as critical at work as I like to pretend...
    I took a couple days off last week, had a four-day weekend, left my laptop at work and pretty much ignored the work phone, and...
    Nothing happened!
    No fires to put out, no "oh god I need this change right now you need to come in to the office" problems, nada...
    The one minor issue that cropped up, I e-mailed the dev back about this morning to verify something (he e-mailed about it on Friday, and would've gotten my out-of-office auto-reply) and...
    He's out of the office until tomorrow.

So, who knows, maybe come the end of August, I'll be able to leave my work laptop and phone at home...
    That'd be nice...

And what does it say about me that I'm going to a big science fiction / fantasy / TV / movies / Anime / costuming / science & tech / horror convention for almost a week, and one of the first panels that caught my attention to attend is from the EFF on "Encrypted DNS and why you should use it at home?"

Nicely done, Jason.  I was on vacation all last week and didn't check on anything.  I didn't receive any texts or phone calls, not that cell phone reception is even close to consistent where I was, but it'll eventually show up as a missed call.  Nothing.  Granted, I had a volume of email waiting for me when I got back, but that's just normal.  There were no emergencies, crises, fires or anything else.  It was very nice.  It also tells me that everything I have in place worked fine without anyone around to babysit it, which is as it should be.

I'm no so foolish to think that anyone, including myself, is indispensable.

Now, go enjoy your SF convention. 😛

I was out 2 weeks, back today.  
    I may finish reading my emails by 2027...

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:28 AM

Ed Wagner - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:11 AM

Hmm...
    I took a couple days off last week, had a four-day weekend, left my laptop at work and pretty much ignored the work phone, and...
    Nothing happened!
    No fires to put out, no "oh god I need this change right now you need to come in to the office" problems, nada...
    The one minor issue that cropped up, I e-mailed the dev back about this morning to verify something (he e-mailed about it on Friday, and would've gotten my out-of-office auto-reply) and...

So, who knows, maybe come the end of August, I'll be able to leave my work laptop and phone at home...
    That'd be nice...

And what does it say about me that I'm going to a big science fiction / fantasy / TV / movies / Anime / costuming / science & tech / horror convention for almost a week, and one of the first panels that caught my attention to attend is from the EFF on "Encrypted DNS and why you should use it at home?"

Nicely done, Jason.  I was on vacation all last week and didn't check on anything.  I didn't receive any texts or phone calls, not that cell phone reception is even close to consistent where I was, but it'll eventually show up as a missed call.  Nothing.  Granted, I had a volume of email waiting for me when I got back, but that's just normal.  There were no emergencies, crises, fires or anything else.  It was very nice.  It also tells me that everything I have in place worked fine without anyone around to babysit it, which is as it should be.

Heh - like I said, the pile of email is normal.

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:11 AM

Hmm...
    Nothing happened!

That'd be nice...

Heh, I was just joking with my team lead about my lack of e-mails after 2 working days off...
    Most all of mine were various alerts (generally ignorable, and nothing that would've needed any work before I came back) from the servers.

But, in the interest of making things easier for people, I'm working on improving (further) my documentation on what's where, server settings, extra software on the servers (one needs WinZip with the command-line plugin, another needs the Adobe PDF filter for Full Text Indexing,) the command-line setup command for installing SQL fresh, etc.  Ideally, if something goes horrifically wrong while I'm gone, it'll be enough that my backup will be able to get things back up and running, even if only partially.

As for the convention?
    Oh yeah, it's going to be *FUN*
    🙂

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:32 AM

Michael L John - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:28 AM

How to handle email overload when returning from vacation:
    1. Delete it all.
    2. Send one email to company telling them to resend anything that you really need to see that was sent while you were gone.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:18 AM

Ed Wagner - Monday, July 30, 2018 11:32 AM

1. Delete it all.
    2. Send one email to company telling them to resend anything that you really need to see that was sent while you were gone.

I am so considering that for next month.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:19 AM

WayneS - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:18 AM

1. Delete it all.

It's what my boss told me to do for my sabbatical last year.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• WayneS - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:18 AM

1. Delete it all.

Ummmm.... you don't just go ahead and do that everyday? 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:53 AM

1. Delete it all.

Yes everyday...but I skip step 2.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:17 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:53 AM

1. Delete it all.

Yes everyday...but I skip step 2.

Why bother on even looking at the email application?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:34 AM

Why bother on even looking at the email application?

I can at least say I checked it. 🙂

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I'd forgotten how much I hate SSRS.  It's a major pain to add multiple columns to a tablix, so I used the wizard to create the initial report.  It turns out that the wizard doesn't add a detail group, so it only ever produces one row of output.  :crazy:

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Friday, August 3, 2018 8:44 AM

I'd forgotten how much I hate SSRS.  It's a major pain to add multiple columns to a tablix, so I used the wizard to create the initial report.  It turns out that the wizard doesn't add a detail group, so it only ever produces one row of output.  :crazy:

Drew

( :exclamation:WARNING: Old joke)

Developer goes to his GB and says "Doctor, every time I'm working with SSRS, it is such a pain"
    Doctor: "Don't work with SSRS then"
    😎

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:19 AM

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that any more. 

The delete it and send one email to the company to find out what you need to deal with approach only works if all your email is from people in the company, and it doesn't work when email comes from customers and suppliers and regulatory authorities (both governmental and private) and contractors as well as from within the company.  Even if your email is all from within the compny, it almost certainly wouldn't make sense to send that one email to more than 20,000 company staff,  so the easy solution only works when all the email is from company employees and specifically from a small and well-defined group of them.  Of course if your email app is able to group your emails according to where they are from and who else in the company has received them you may be able to get away with it, but while there are email clients that can do that for you it is (at least in my expereience) a bigger pain to keep them up to date with who is who so that the software can do that classification in useful terms instead of in enough detail to make it pointless than it is to wade through the email backlog and do your own filtering.

Tom

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:44 AM

( :exclamation:WARNING: Old joke)

Developer goes to his GB and says "Doctor, every time I'm working with SSRS, it is such a pain"
    Doctor: "Don't work with SSRS then"
    😎

Old joke?  
    I didn't think it was a joke, just a (sadly rare) instance of a medic who knew what sheer hell SSRS was.  

I first was bitten by SSRS (SS2000RS to be specific) when a couple of developers, both with PhDs in computer science, both very experienced with RDBMS, who had put in a very long time getting exactly nowhere in generating some reports. I (having joined the company as [the only] systems analyst and become head of research and responsible for licensing and system security almost immediately) had no control over development (and anywhay this pair were working outside of the development group, both being considered senior to the then head of development), but I got involved because they said they needed a license for a certain bunch of report presentation software; I was able to negotiate a free licence for commercial use with certain agreed limits.  That didn't get them anywhere, because SSRS was too much of a mess. The CEO decided to get rid of that pair, and asked me to generate some reports for internal use (giving up on reports for sustomer).  I had a look at doing it with SSRS.  Then I wrote the report genration a mixture of T-SQL, JScript, and HTML, which took me less than a week where I had estimated 6 months to do those limited internal reports using SSRS. 

I've looked at SSRS since then, not in SS2005 or in SS2008, but in 2008 R2 and each subsequent version.  None of them appears to me to any less painful  to understand, to use, or to build reports with than than I found with SS2000.  Maybe if I had put some real effort into looking at those later versions the results would be different. Or maybe not. I love MS SQL Server, I think that it's the most developer-friendly and DBA-friendly RDBMS server in existence, and that it has maintained that record at least since the release of SS2000 (Before then it was probably 3rd with both Postgres and Ingres ahead of it) - but SSRS detracts from SQLServer's appearance of friendliness.

Tom

• Heh.... Except for T-SQL (which has a dash in it), I try to avoid all the 4 letter words in SQL Server, especially SSIS and SSRS.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 61,906 through 61,920 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply