Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:14 PM

Thom A - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:34 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:21 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Okay, waiting to see what happens after calling out Mr. Celko's flawed code in the cursor thread.

Please, don't feed the troll.
    He will come with some lame excuse and call his 99 years of experience solving problems with databases in ancient Egypt and calling some standard protected by the CIA.

I didn't know that Cello was fluent on hieroglyphics.

He's not.  He just claims to have written the ANSI/ISO standards for them. 😀

Well now - that would be the best argument explaining ISO's adoption rate I've seen so far 😀

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (4) - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:02 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:14 PM

Thom A - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:34 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:21 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Okay, waiting to see what happens after calling out Mr. Celko's flawed code in the cursor thread.

Please, don't feed the troll.
    He will come with some lame excuse and call his 99 years of experience solving problems with databases in ancient Egypt and calling some standard protected by the CIA.

I didn't know that Cello was fluent on hieroglyphics.

He's not.  He just claims to have written the ANSI/ISO standards for them. 😀

Well now - that would be the best argument explaining ISO's adoption rate I've seen so far 😀

Maybe it would make more sense if read like in hieroglyphics:
    "Owl, snake, bread bun, snake. Eagle, man standing sideways, palm leaf, snake, scroll, man standing sideways" probably translated into the old implicit JOIN syntax documentation.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:26 AM

May it would make more sense if read like in hieroglyphics:
    "Owl, snake, bread bun, snake. Eagle, man standing sideways, palm leaf, snake, scroll, man standing sideways" probably translated into the old implicit JOIN syntax documentation.

LOL... reading this I almost did a spit take.  Of course it reminds me that our modern society's communication seems to be devolving back into hieroglyphics with the proliferation of texts and emojis.  Even my retired dad throws a number of emojis in his messages.

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:47 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:26 AM

May it would make more sense if read like in hieroglyphics:

LOL... reading this I almost did a spit take.  Of course it reminds me that our modern society's communication seems to be devolving back into hieroglyphics with the proliferation of texts and emojis.  Even my retired dad throws a number of emojis in his messages.

There were text-formed emojis more than 40 years ago, but pretty rare then.  They were less rare and quite popular amongst people who had email (whether just in-house or wider) by the mid 80s.

Tom

• Hola, Fellow Threadzians.

As I push my head above dense project waters to grab a breath of fresh air, I was wondering if anyone would care to assist me with a marketing class project of mine.

My class partner wrote up a survey for part of our research and we need a variety of responses by the weekend. Would you mind helping out?

The survey is at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/86NM23M and should only take about 10-15 minutes at the most. Thank you in advance, to those who choose to participate.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:42 PM

Hola, Fellow Threadzians.

As I push my head above dense project waters to grab a breath of fresh air, I was wondering if anyone would care to assist me with a marketing class project of mine.

My class partner wrote up a survey for part of our research and we need a variety of responses by the weekend. Would you mind helping out?

The survey is at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/86NM23M and should only take about 10-15 minutes at the most. Thank you in advance, to those who choose to participate.

Brandie, FYI, question 6 says it's on a scale of 1 to 5 but the slider goes to 100

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:01 PM

Brandie, FYI, question 6 says it's on a scale of 1 to 5 but the slider goes to 100

That's the Spinal Tap question

• SPAM is out of control tonight.  All looks oriental to my eyes.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:12 PM

SPAM is out of control tonight.  All looks oriental to my eyes.

Oh come on Lynn, my question wasn't *that* poorly written, was it?
    😀😉

• Yeah, we are under attack again. The controls that look for SPAM work, but there's a slight delay to get better responsiveness in the forum experience. This system wasn't built for queuing, which is what it needs. The Spammers get around some of our controls by registering and then posting 3-10 messages / minute, and it takes some time for the system to catch up, so on average, they'll get 30 messages for each account. I'm sure they've automated the process somehow.

We do have a contract in place for a company to upgrade the forums to the latest version (not many changes), and also rebuild the non-forum stuff. We need to do this, and I'll post in the announcements section.

I'm also looking to clean up some forums, a separate item.

My apologies. I've avoided subscribing to forums, mostly because it's a flood of legitimate messages. I appreciate the fact that some of you do so you can answer questions.

• Note:  Website work announcement: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1955171/Website-Work

• Three cats walk into a bar. It gets 100 million views on YouTube. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe in the comments below!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Oy! I get all the fun projects. I love a challenge. I don't love being on a deadline to learn a new programming language, though.

Any advice on decrypting a database table column via SSIS? Posting at https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1959028/Object-variables-ADO-Recordsets-decrypting-column would be appreciated.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• What does it say that, while I think I might know what the problem is, and I've already ginned up a solution and tested it, I'm not willing to post it until the OP answers a question?
    And, as Lynn pointed out, the "schema / sample" is about as useful to trying to solve the issue as a pair of lead shoes for a drowning person...
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1963130.aspx 

It's really a very easy problem, *IF* my supposition of their *REAL* data is correct.
    (Which, I realize, their create table in the useless sample data, does seem to indicate I *AM* right.)

Viewing 15 posts - 61,621 through 61,635 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply